Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Yeah, hopefully he's talking about rebuildables. :unsure:

I typically replace my cotton wick every 3 - 4 days. My coils usually last for at least a few months; I just dry burn (pulsing the coil until it glows and blow off the ashes) the coils between wick changes.

I know there are some folks who re-coil at the same time they re-wick, but I see no reason to do this. I think they just enjoy making coils in a hobby sort of way.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Can you replace the cotton in a coil rather than replacing the coil and the cotton? I would assume cotton dies before coil would? Or is reusing a coil a bad idea?

Sure.

I Pull the Old wick Out. Give the Deck a good Rinse with Hot water. And then Re-Wick when the Flavor starts to taste a little Funky.

ETA: I have a Subtank Mini also. Isn't it a Great Tank?

Reactions: Travape

Caro123

Apr 11, 2015
Nova Scotia
I am so new and inexperienced re coils however it took me awhile to build a couple of workable coils for the little dripper and they read 1.7 I use Japanese cotton because of a helpful YouTube video and usually take out the cotton -pulse the coils till they glow - I have no idea if it sort of cleans the coils but I think it does and then rewick I have done it a few times. I have not yet used something the little lad gave me to try called bacon cotton but the organic Japanese stuff seems to work nicely

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I have not yet used something the little lad gave me to try called bacon cotton but the organic Japanese stuff seems to work nicely
The bacon cotton is very similar to the Ko Gen Do (Japanese) cotton. I use and prefer both to organic cotton and cellucotton (Rayon).

Reactions: Caro123

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thanks all. Sorta want to try a hand at making my own coil but enjoying the rda's prebuilt coil and figure I'll just wait

No reason you Can't do Both.

In fact, I think the Best Time to try something New e-Cigarette-wise is when you have something that Works that you can Always fall back on.

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
I'm kind of a paranoid sort, with all of the laws and rumours of regulation. I don't buy or use anything that I cannot rebuild. I have 10 evods, 2 protanks IIs, 2 T3s, 5 PT minis, 3 Kayfuns, and 4 drippers. All of them have my own coils wicked with cotton. I routinely dry burn and replace the wicks, but I haven't built a new coil for several months. Coils can last a good long time, especially if you have a lot of tanks going at once.

Reactions: Caro123

Brvfan

Jan 30, 2015
Duluth, GA,USA
I am just learning to rebuild and have done a couple by making new coils. When you say rewick do you mean you take the cotton out of the coil and insert new cotton? Burn the coil before putting in new cotton? I saw a YouTube where someone just removed the top cotton and laid a new piece in. So I'm confused

Also could cotton organic yarn which splits down to very thin be used in place of cotton? Thanks for any help you can give

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I am just learning to rebuild and have done a couple by making new coils. When you say rewick do you mean you take the cotton out of the coil and insert new cotton? Burn the coil before putting in new cotton? I saw a YouTube where someone just removed the top cotton and laid a new piece in. So I'm confused

Also could cotton organic yarn which splits down to very thin be used in place of cotton? Thanks for any help you can give

When we say that we Re-Wicked something, it just Means that we Removed the all Old Cotton and then Replaced it with a New Piece of Cotton.

If you want to Dry Burn the Coil, then you have to Remove All the Cotton.

I think the Easiest Cotton to use (and one of the Best) is Organic Cotton Pads like Muji.

$_12.JPG

best_facial_cotton4.jpg

The Pads already have about the Right Thickness. So All you have to do is cut off a Strip (about 1/4" or so) in the Direction of the Fibers. And then Twist the end off the Strip so you can guide it thru the Coil.

Then just Fluff it up a Little and cut off the Excess from the Ends.

Last edited:

Brvfan

Jan 30, 2015
Duluth, GA,USA
When we say that we Re-Wicked something, it just Means that we Removed the all Old Cotton and then Replaced it with a New Piece of Cotton.

If you want to Dry Burn the Coil, then you have to Remove All the Cotton.

I think the Easiest Cotton to use (and one of the Best) is Organic Cotton Pads like Muji.

$_12.JPG

best_facial_cotton4.jpg

The Pads already have about the Right Thickness. So All you have to do is cut off a Strip (about 1/4" or so) in the Direction of the Fibers. And then Twist the end off the Strip so you can guide it thru the Coil.

Then just Fluff it up a Little and cut off the Excess from the Ends.
Thanks so much for your answer. I understand now. Will look for that cotton

Reactions: zoiDman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread