Kanger Protank 2 coils vs Protank 3 coils rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexmot

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2015
Louisiana, USA
The stem end looks way different on the 3 coil. All the YouTube vids seem to show the prior style with the stem and much small Silicone gasket.

Is rebuilding the 3 coils as single coils the same as rebuilding a 2 coil as a single?

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

That all depends on which version of the Protank 3 coils you have. The latest version (I think) are fully enclosed so there is virtually no option for a rebuild.

You have a few choices:

1- Buy some knock-off coils that are "old" style and rebuild those as dual coil. (I've used $4.73 Replacement Coil Head for Protank 3 BDC Clearomizer (5-Pack) 5-pack - 2.0ohm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
2- Use single coils in your PT3 and add an additional top gasket to make up most of the difference () - this is kludgey
3- Purchase replacement bottom caps for your PT3s to make them, essentially single coil PT2s
($1.47 Replacement Bottom Cap for Protank-II (V2) Clearomizer - chromed brass at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping for the full size or $1.25 Replacement Bottom Cap for Mini Protank-II (V2) Clearomizer - chromed brass at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping for the mini)

Note on #3 I've confirmed that swapping the bottom cap on a mini PT3 with one from a PT2 will make it single coil and work flawlessly. I'm not certain about the full size PT3.

And to answer your original question... rebuilding a dual coil is similar if you have the version that allows you access to the coil/wick. It just basically uses 2x coils and a single extra wick in the center. Note also that while building this as a dual coil, the resistance of each coil should be 2x what your target resistance is (i.e. shooting for a 1.2 ohm dual? You'll need 2x 2.4 ohm single coils).

OcalaFlGuy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2015
Ocala, Fl
I did some more checking since I posted.

The v3 coils Are rebuildable, the shroud comes off like on the GS Airs.

v2 series coils will work in the v3 base without any mod or extra silicone gasket. v3's coils will Not work in a PT2 tank.

The PT3 comes from MBV with 2 of the v3 coils. I'll probably rebuild one of those just to see if I can tell any difference but the main reason I'm leaning away from a GS Air is I don't want to have to play with the nearly the same shroud. (It's actually a bit more of a pain on the GS as you need a couple wraps of cut gauze wrapped Before you get the shroud on over that. No gauze under the PT3 shroud.)

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

OcalaFlGuy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2015
Ocala, Fl
The coil situation appears to be the absolute only difference between PT 2 and PT3.

MBV actually has the 2 for $1 cheaper. Probably best for me to just get a couple 2's and not worry about the coil difference at all.

I'd rebuild the shrouded v3 coil as a single anyway and I can't see that shroud making any major difference.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

WonderDude32

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
Clarksville, TN
This is from the heart and I wish someone would have said it to me earlier, buy a subtank mini. Rebuilding the coils for PT2's is simple but just a pain. With the mini you get an actual rebuildable deck and it's way easier. It also gives you the option to sub ohm in the future if you want. Want to refill less often? Look at a Subtank Plus.

On a side note. I'm a Florida guy too. I lived in Kissimmee for most of my life and used to ride dirtbikes in the Ocala National forest. Good times.

Reactions: OcalaFlGuy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread