RDA Derringer user just got his Aeolus...not impressed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Vaako

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2012
CT
I recently got one from Vapordna and also ordered the competition cap from the manufacturer. Since I haven't put my Derringer (authentic) down since getting it, I put the same exact build into the Aeolus to compare it.

The build: g-plat elite 26g (dual parallel coils) @ .14ohms w/organic cotton, running on my Sigelei 150w box set to 60w (powered by dual authentic VTC5's). juice - Grant's Vanilla Custard, All VG, 18mg nic

The results: Disappointing..not even close. Flavor and vapor from Derringer are night and day better. I did get better result when changing to the same drip tip - Trinity Copa -away from the competition cap. The drip tip on the Derringer is 50% closer to the coils, so I don't understand how this could provide a better result. I also found it to be a cooler vape and did not need the heat sink.

At first I thought I was doing something wrong, but then I thought about it. How is it that no manufacturer ever tried vertical air holes before? Yes, it prevents leaking and yes it holds more juice, but this isn't even as good of vape (flavor and clouds) as a Plume Veil in my opinion - which I never had leaking problems with. I vaped the Aeolus for 2 days straight and just don't see what all the hype is about. I even switched to a .12ohm build and raised the wattage.

Does anyone else feel the same way?

Brandon David

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
That is kind of the same feeling I had with the lethal which is very similar in design to the aeolus which is why I didn't wind up purchasing one even though I had planned to. I tried multiple builds and the flavor was all just...meh. It was more flavorful than some of my older cloud atties, but nowhere near as good as my venturi or veritas. The top airflow didn't do it for me flavor wise. My venturi, though top airflow, is good for flavor but I attribute that to the fact that the air enters through the top but goes down the sides and actually enters the chamber in front of the coil. So, no, you're not alone in that observation.

I've been thinking of picking up another rda and the derringer may be just it.

Reactions: Lord Vaako

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
I found that I could not run the came build in both atties. They are both monsters on their own accord, but I personally have not put my Aeolus down since I got it. My derringers have been sitting on the shelf. The build I personally like the best in the Aeolus is a Clapton 24ga nichrome80 with 32ga kanthal a1 wrapped around it. Dual coils, 5 wraps around 2.5mm comes in at around 0.2ohm on my sigelei 100 at around 70w has been my go to.

Lord Vaako

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2012
CT
I found that I could not run the came build in both atties. They are both monsters on their own accord, but I personally have not put my Aeolus down since I got it. My derringers have been sitting on the shelf. The build I personally like the best in the Aeolus is a Clapton 24ga nichrome80 with 32ga kanthal a1 wrapped around it. Dual coils, 5 wraps around 2.5mm comes in at around 0.2ohm on my sigelei 100 at around 70w has been my go to.

That's really interesting...I was thinking the same thing originally. I just brought it to work with me today, still with the same .12 ohm build. If I crank the power up to 100w, it's decent, but the vapor isn't the same. I hate cold, airy vapes and it's a little cold and airy, but better flavor than some of those other monstrosities on the market that I've tried. I think it doesn't have a good seal with the stock o-rings. Looking back, I replaced the o-rings in the derringer because they were crap when I got it - the cap wouldn't stay on.

The issue with it needing more power to run the exact same build is not a good thing. It can only mean that the center post is not as efficient at conducting power from the battery. If you screw on the heat sink, you're adding another connection point and that can only make it worse.

Try taking your derringer base and inserting the aeolus top cap on it. This will only serve as a test. Vape it with and without the derringer ring. I notice two things:

1 - I can put my power back down to 60w
2 - I get a much tighter, more flavorful and less airy draw - even without the derringer ring. It's even better with the ring.

I think part of the problem with aeolus can be addressed by improving the seal by changing the o-rings and ditching the competition cap. That competition cap is garbage. Restricting airflow is what intensifies flavor and thickens the vapor. If you're into vapor production and competitions, losing power at your connection points to your power source is the last thing you'd want. While I wish every $100 RDA I buy is better than the one before it, power loss = flawed design. I'm not even using the heat sink, so this is inexcusable.

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
That's really interesting...I was thinking the same thing originally. I just brought it to work with me today, still with the same .12 ohm build. If I crank the power up to 100w, it's decent, but the vapor isn't the same. I hate cold, airy vapes and it's a little cold and airy, but better flavor than some of those other monstrosities on the market that I've tried. I think it doesn't have a good seal with the stock o-rings. Looking back, I replaced the o-rings in the derringer because they were crap when I got it - the cap wouldn't stay on.

The issue with it needing more power to run the exact same build is not a good thing. It can only mean that the center post is not as efficient at conducting power from the battery. If you screw on the heat sink, you're adding another connection point and that can only make it worse.

Try taking your derringer base and inserting the aeolus top cap on it. This will only serve as a test. Vape it with and without the derringer ring. I notice two things:

1 - I can put my power back down to 60w
2 - I get a much tighter, more flavorful and less airy draw - even without the derringer ring. It's even better with the ring.

I think part of the problem with aeolus can be addressed by improving the seal by changing the o-rings and ditching the competition cap. That competition cap is garbage. Restricting airflow is what intensifies flavor and thickens the vapor. If you're into vapor production and competitions, losing power at your connection points to your power source is the last thing you'd want. While I wish every $100 RDA I buy is better than the one before it, power loss = flawed design. I'm not even using the heat sink, so this is inexcusable.

My clapton in the Aeolus is a really warm dense vape (which is how i prefer it), and it sounds like it may be your preference as well. I've gotten "similar" vapes off 24ga builds in it when a clapton broke, but nothing that gets as warm as I like.

I hate airy cool draws and i never use competition caps. With a smaller drip tip, it condenses the vapor more, making it warmer and more dense. I currently am running the derringer drip tip on the stock Aeolus cap (granted mine is a FT clone with none of the adjustable airflow options, but is a perfect draw for my style).

Also, I have found that (even though all the "scientists" will tell me i'm wrong) with lower gauge wire i get a warmer vape. The only time i use 26ga is when i twist it or use it as the internal of a clapton. I had a great twisted 26ga dual coil in it for a while if that helps any.

I believe it to be the size of the chamber when you're directly comparing the derringer to the Aeolus. I've run the same clapton build in both and had to turn the wattage down significantly in the derringer due to the reduced chamber and airflow.

Lord Vaako

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2012
CT
My clapton in the Aeolus is a really warm dense vape (which is how i prefer it), and it sounds like it may be your preference as well. I've gotten "similar" vapes off 24ga builds in it when a clapton broke, but nothing that gets as warm as I like.

I hate airy cool draws and i never use competition caps. With a smaller drip tip, it condenses the vapor more, making it warmer and more dense. I currently am running the derringer drip tip on the stock Aeolus cap (granted mine is a FT clone with none of the adjustable airflow options, but is a perfect draw for my style).

Also, I have found that (even though all the "scientists" will tell me i'm wrong) with lower gauge wire i get a warmer vape. The only time i use 26ga is when i twist it or use it as the internal of a clapton. I had a great twisted 26ga dual coil in it for a while if that helps any.

I believe it to be the size of the chamber when you're directly comparing the derringer to the Aeolus. I've run the same clapton build in both and had to turn the wattage down significantly in the derringer due to the reduced chamber and airflow.

I do like the clapton but it's way too big of a PITA to make, and it's really not that much better than a standard parallel coil. I'm using g-plat elite btw, so 26g of that with 6 wraps on each coil gives me .12ohm.

It's not that the Aeolus is bad, but it's nowhere near the Derringer (or my new toy that I got today). I even took the Derringer base, keeping the same exact coils attached, and added the Aeolus cap. I think the reduced chamber is a big part of it like you said. I'm just annoyed that the heat sink is useless, the comp cap is useless, so I basically paid $100 for a larger chamber with holes drilled in the top rim. Once I put the same drip tip onto them both, it improved but it's really been a lot of hype over nothing. Now that I got my new Hobo v3 coiled up, it probably will end up on the shelf with my old Plume Veils lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread