Status
Not open for further replies.

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
hey Tony, the Ringlord wire is a little different from what your using....when i wrap my coil i just press it tight on the bit and it spaces (springs back) almost perfect. :thumbs:
Interesting. My Ti coil wants to unwind and whip me in the face if don't torch/break it's spirit first [emoji14]

Regards
Tony

Sent from my keyboard through my phone or something like that.

druckle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
hey Tony, the Ringlord wire is a little different from what your using....when i wrap my coil i just press it tight on the bit and it spaces (springs back) almost perfect. :thumbs:
I don't have a problem with any of my titanium wires making spaced coils. I usually use a Coilmaster tool and then use fingernails to catch each end of the coil....spread it out a LOT and then press it back together with the top of the coilmaster. The inherent springyness of the titanium (low modulus of elasticity) makes the resulting coil essentially a perfectly spaced coil. I'm pretty sure you could do that with any titanium whether "tool wrapped" or hand wrapped just make the coil, spread it out and push it back together.

This works the same for annealed and work hardened titanium since modulus of elasticity stays constant.

That sounds pretty much like what you are doing sando7?

Duane

sando7

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2014
Louisville, KY (PRP)
the Ringlord wire is Chemically Pure (CP) G#1 and it has a dull color, not shini or very springy (just rite) and seems very easy to work with....i just clean-it w/ISO then take 2 strands of 30ga and twist it in my drill.....i have a coil-master and i seem to do better by hand i guess i'm just used to doing it that way....seems to work great in my case.

Reactions: aikanae1

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
LOL, seriously[emoji38]
Yes :( [emoji14]
the Ringlord wire is Chemically Pure (CP) G#1 and it has a dull color, not shini or very springy (just rite) and seems very easy to work with....i just clean-it w/ISO then take 2 strands of 30ga and twist it in my drill.....i have a coil-master and i seem to do better by hand i guess i'm just used to doing it that way....seems to work great in my case.
You're probably breaking molecules during that twisting :)

Now seriously, completely unwind is probably an exaggeration but half a turn is pretty much standart and I can see the coil increasing in diameter.

Reactions: sando7

DejayRezme

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 22, 2014
    Europe
    PS. I am ordering some Resistherm NiFe30 at the ridiculous price of €13/10m. This is the new wire that Dicodes are introducing. I figure if I'm going to test Ti and SS I may as well complete the set and try this latest wire that is apparently especially suited for TC. I don't know how it's specially suited, but we will see :) I do know that its coefficient is 0.0032 so slightly lower than Ti.

Just a quick note to put it out there: NiFe30 apparently is also available from Kanthal as "Nifethal 70" (72% nickel). The datasheet doesn't mention the residual elements though. Curiously enough from the datasheet I get a coefficient of ~0.53% not 0.32% like resitherm (dicodes wire).

Nifethal 70 — Kanthal

PS: And another note about the dry burning, here are some clarifications from Dr. Farsalinos about what he meant and backed by a material scientist. I don't get why everyone is getting so hot and bothered by this (pun intended). It's obvious that dry burning coils isn't ideal and that glowing red hot metal with gunk on it can form all sorts of chemical (depending on what was on it). So the only statement you can possibly get from a Doctor that tries to avoid risk is that you should rather build a new coil. It's simply an avoidable unknown risk. Of course I'll keep doing it, but just know it's not ideal.

Last edited:

DejayRezme

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 22, 2014
    Europe

I'd wait for a review. I highly doubt it's technically possible to do temp control with kanthal, the temperature resistance curve is practically flat. It's probably engineered to do that. There are multiple mods out there that claim to do temperature control and simply don't do it even with nickel.

tchavei

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 15, 2014
    Portugal
    Reactions: awsum140

TheBloke

Ultra Member
    Verified Member
    Mar 30, 2015
    Brighton, UK
    Just a quick note to put it out there: NiFe30 apparently is also available from Kanthal as "Nifethal 70" (72% nickel). The datasheet doesn't mention the residual elements though. Curiously enough from the datasheet I get a coefficient of ~0.53% not 0.32% like resitherm (dicodes wire).

Nifethal 70 — Kanthal

Oh that's very interesting! So I wonder why Dicodes would not prefer this Nifethal then, given the better coefficient.

But I suppose the devil is in the detail - there could be any number of things problematic with any given metal for vaping purposes. It might have some dangerous element, or it might just be very hard to work with, or perhaps NiFe30 can be used for contact where Nifethal can't, or whatever.

Another reason could be the resistance - Nifethal is in the resistance ball park of Nickel, ie very low; as we know from Ti, it's nice to work with resistances higher than that.

Or perhaps it's just that Nifethal looks too much like 'lethal' and they don't want people to be worried ;)

Regarding the residual material, I had a quick look at a data sheet and it seemed to say that it's 70% Nickel, 30% Iron?

I might try and contact Dicodes and ask them these sort of questions.

Anyway I ordered my Resistherm this morning from Germany, so hopefully have that next week.

Last edited:
    Reactions: DejayRezme

TheBloke

Ultra Member
    Verified Member
    Mar 30, 2015
    Brighton, UK
    That would be incredible, to say at least but I don't believe it until the supposed technology behind it is explained.

+1, and I am particularly sceptical because we have seen this before. The Smok M80 has a 'temperature control' mode which 'works' with any wire. In fact that just means it doesn't work equally with all wires.

Now I will say that this new mod describes itself in far more complicated and sophisticated terms. It says it tells you when there is no juice. It says it shows a temperature scale. That's far more than the M80 ever claimed to do.

But underneath all that it still sounds rather like the M80. The M80's 'temp control' was actually a pre-programmed wattage curve. You selected, say, 500°F and it would look up a range of wattages to fire. This would mean when you hold fire it might fire 45, 44, 43, 42, 39, etc. That curve would always be the same regardless of the wire used. It couldn't actually detect the live temperature of the coil, it just fired the same wattage curve every time. The result was that it sometimes gave the appearance of temp control - as long as you didn't do any testing which was too extreme, such as a dry burn test.

Anyway, we shall have to see. I certainly wouldn't expect this new mod to fail all Temp Control - I'm sure in this day and age they've at least implemented proper Ni/Ti control. Maybe what they've done is put in normal TC for Ti/Ni and then something similar to the M80 for Kanthal.

Or maybe there really is some way to do it with Kanthal - perhaps resistance detection so accurate and granular it can differentiate resistance changes totalling 0.01 across 200°C of temperature scale :)

But actually, if it could do that, it would at least require you to tell it what wire it was, surely? How can it know to use the right coefficient for Ni vs Ti vs K? Maybe there's a menu mode to tell it which wire, that we're not seeing in the pictures. But if so, you'd think that selection would be shown on the screen - given how much other info they've crammed on there.

Anyway great find @awsum140 will be interesting to watch this one.

Last edited:
    Reactions: DejayRezme

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 14, 2015
    Birmingham, England
    I think its amazing that during the life of this thread, we have gone from a few misleading articles posted on the web, thorugh the trailblazing activity of Rossum and others in using and advocating Ti, to the point where commercially available, premade Ti coil heads are starting to appear. Love it!!

tchavei

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 15, 2014
    Portugal
    I think its amazing that during the life of this thread, we have gone from a few misleading articles posted on the web, thorugh the trailblazing activity of Rossum and others in using and advocating Ti, to the point where commercially available, premade Ti coil heads are starting to appear. Love it!!

Everyone will be vaping Ti in two years. Mark my words, my crystal ball just showed it :)

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 14, 2015
    Birmingham, England
    Oh that's very interesting! So I wonder why Dicodes would not prefer this Nifethal then, given the better coefficient.

But I suppose the devil is in the detail - there could be any number of things problematic with any given metal for vaping purposes. It might have some dangerous element, or it might just be very hard to work with, or perhaps NiFe30 can be used for contact where Nifethal can't, or whatever.

Another reason could be the resistance - Nifethal is in the resistance ball park of Nickel, ie very low; as we know from Ti, it's nice to work with resistances higher than that.

Or perhaps it's just that Nifethal looks too much like 'lethal' and they don't want people to be worried ;)

Regarding the residual material, I had a quick look at a data sheet and it seemed to say that it's 70% Nickel, 30% Iron?

I might try and contact Dicodes and ask them these sort of questions.

Anyway I ordered my Resistherm this morning from Germany, so hopefully have that next week.

I think Nifetha has a smidge of chromium also!!

Reactions: TheBloke

TheBloke

Ultra Member
    Verified Member
    Mar 30, 2015
    Brighton, UK
    Guys,

I've created a new thread for discussion of new wires and modifying the coefficient of resistance:

TC beyond Ni200: Nickel Purity, Dicodes; Ti, SS, Resistherm NiFe30; Coefficient of Resistance | E-Cigarette Forum

It's intended for discussion of the mod features for using any new wires, rather than necessarily the specific wires themselves (I've linked back to this thread re Titanium.) I'll be putting there my test results and thoughts on Nickel Purity with various wires, including Resistherm NiFe30 when I get it. I hope also to get feedback from anyone who has the new Dicodes mods - which sadly probably won't include me for a while given the cost!

Anyway, I've already put in there some detailed explanations of Nickel Purity, how it works, and my first test results with Titanium and Stainless Steel

SotosB

May 25, 2015
    I Recieved my Ti order today. I've wrapped a nine wrap spaced coil with inner diam of 2,5 mm which turn to be about 2,8 with my coilmaster. I found much easier to do, than wrap it with my hand. Well... where did the taste go? I'm a flavour chaser, and I think I might be a little dissapointed. I can see the resistance climp up when the wire gets hot, on my Istick 30, so I've set it to higher VV mode than I do with kanthal. As the resistance rises, the lower watt I get. Sounds like a preheat feature, doesn't it? Anyway, waiting for my Infinite VF to arrive and see how it vapes.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread