Status
Not open for further replies.

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
All I want is a reduced chamber design, with AFC, that is actually capable of a truly tight draw.
That's easy, Hobo V2.1, but you have to know exactly how to build on it to achieve the proper coil positioning with very restrictive airflow. Airflow can be completely closed off in every way if you so desire. Build the coil at the very edge of the outer barrel, with the vertical edge of the step down directly in the middle of the coil right on one of the sides and close off the airhole 90% of the way, extremely restrictive and can be done in single or dual coil mode, if you do it in single coil mode you can jam the entire other side of the deck with wick material to have a very very reduced chamber.

Not a perfect rda by any means IMO though, which brings me to the thread topic, perfect to one person isn't perfect to another, I doubt there will ever be one specific atomizer that every specific type/style/crowd of vaper will all like equally because there are so many different vaping styles employing many different inhale techniques and preferences to heat/cooling. The perfect atomizer for you may be out there, half the fun is in finding it to me.

For me, the RDA I'm on right now is the Kennedy, four of my five daily use mods have some form of the Kennedy on them because bottom airflow performs better and makes more sense to draw air from the bottom directly up to the top, very different draw than any side air RDA I've ever experienced and it's definitely not for everyone since the most closed off version they make is two 3mm air holes. Not perfect either, it has leaking tendencies as all bottom air systems seem to, but if you wick it juuuuust right it's very anti-leak. Fits my needs very well though, I love a big airy open draw and having it without any holes in the cap is big plus to me.

Last edited:

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
Yeah, there will never be the "perfect" RDA, and let's face it... would we really even want that? I enjoy wrapping coils and each of my atties requires its own techniques to optimize... and I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm down to 3 RDAs and they all have regular use for specific reasons.

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
Consumers need to stop being so gullible before we can actually get close to a perfect RDA. Vapers seem to just lap up any old hype at the moment.

Current design process for 99% of RDA manufacturers:

Engineer1: We should design an RDA from the ground up, make it revolutionary...
Engineer2: That sounds like a lot of work.
Engineer1: OK, lets just use someone's existing design, we can change the shape of the airholes and give it a fancy name.
Engineer2: High Five! Lets go drink some Craft Beer!

If people stop buying the uninspired RDAs then the manufacturers will actually have to come up with something new, much like what is happening with RTAs.
Currently I think the best RDA is not a designated one, it is the Aqua V2 in dripper mode. It has both of the air flow options (side and below coil) and is adjustable.

For the future, I would like to think that someone could come up with a wickless design, this would be easier to achieve using a BF method though in all honesty.

Reactions: Froth

Bimini Twist

Twisted Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2012
Redneck Riviera
www.mboyd.com
There is nothing uninspired about a Nuppin', Veritas, Magma, or Zenith, just to name a few. Yes, there are a LOT of copycat 3-posters, but I think there might be better than 1% creativity still happening out there.

I'm sure I've seen something about a wickless design recently, but I don't recall where. And it might have been an RTA, now that I think of it. They have popped up now & again, though not with any great success - yet.

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
There is nothing uninspired about a Nuppin', Veritas, Magma, or Zenith, just to name a few. Yes, there are a LOT of copycat 3-posters, but I think there might be better than 1% creativity still happening out there.

I'm sure I've seen something about a wickless design recently, but I don't recall where. And it might have been an RTA, now that I think of it. They have popped up now & again, though not with any great success - yet.

Agree on a few of those, but the Zenith is pushing it a bit.
I come from an Engineering background (Mech Eng), so I guess my expectation is a little too high. I just kind of get fed up of hearing about a 'fantastic new RDA' and then seeing that it is yet another 3 post rip off, priced as though it is made of solid gold and studded with diamonds.

I reckon that China will soon take the reigns as being both the innovators and the manufacturers of the best vaping equipment.

Bimini Twist

Twisted Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2012
Redneck Riviera
www.mboyd.com
Could very well be. My first RDA was the Chinese UD Igo-W. Not innovative, but at least not a clone. My last hardware purchase was a Chinese SXmini M. While the temp control wasn't original, at least they didn't do a direct reverse engineering of the Evolv tech.

But there will still be some good innovation & manufacturing from the west. Germans, Greeks, a Russian company as well in addition to some US folks just can't help themselves.

Reactions: DoubleEwe

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
I agree on the innovation from the Western World, but I think that the price is a big deterrent for most vapers.
If the Western manufacturers/innovators changed their business model then we could all benefit and reduce the amount of clones that are made and bought.
They should do a limited edition run (high price made by themselves with serial numbers etc), then a short period after that they should get a large batch made in China (or wherever) and sold at a far cheaper price point (no serial numbers, no gift box etc). Either selling through their own channels or a royalty based system enabling the Chinese manufacturer to sell it where they see fit.

IMO im going to go with the Twissed Messes. This thing is amazing. Flavor or plumes or both depends on the builds you're doing. With the wide post holes really is a game changer, loving the silver or blue sleeve option, clean outta the package with little to no machine oil, nice deep well have'nt had it leak yet, & starting to see this in more cloud comps as well. The El Cabron is up there as well.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
As the title states, does anyone think that RDAs can improve overall? What do you want to see in the future, and where would you like the RDA market to go next?

I know this is subjective, but everyone has an opinion and surely there are constituents on both sides.

Has the perfect rda been achieved.
No.

Right now I'm vaping with the top of a manta on the deck of an aris.

There's been a few notable innovations with rda's:

1: top air intake , with channelled airflow to the coils
manta, venture, sxk sk
less likely to leak
2: glass section topcap so you can see if your wick is bone white dry

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Anti spit back, leak resistant like the Aeolus, no airflow control to mess with, just one setting. And the a ability to put the cap on in any orientation (not having to line up the holes).

Right now for me the Aeolus is the only RDA I'm using.

that's one of the top-air-intake designs

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Yeah, there will never be the "perfect" RDA, and let's face it... would we really even want that? I enjoy wrapping coils and each of my atties requires its own techniques to optimize... and I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm down to 3 RDAs and they all have regular use for specific reasons.

Sure there will!! Even if it consists of about 10 topcaps and 10 decks and an assortment of other optional pieces that you can fit together in a variety of ways

Reactions: Bimini Twist

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
Current design process for 99% of RDA manufacturers:

Engineer1: We should design an RDA from the ground up, make it revolutionary...
Engineer2: That sounds like a lot of work.
Engineer1: OK, lets just use someone's existing design, we can change the shape of the airholes and give it a fancy name.
Engineer2: High Five! Lets go drink some Craft Beer!
I'm almost ashamed at how hard I laughed at that little dialogue, the last line really sealed the deal. Fantastic.

I played it over in my head several times until it morphed into a version of the old "Brilliant" Guinness ads. We would probably get along great.

Reactions: DoubleEwe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread