• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Help fight cancer with F@H! join team ECF today!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I've been interested in doing this for a while, but with my old computer, I barely had enough system resources just for my own stuff, so I had to wait. But I just got a new 64-bit laptop, with 16gb RAM, so I figure there's plenty to go around, so I just joined. Go Team ECF!

Andria

cinetrope

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2014
Joshua Tree, CA
I just ran FAH for the first time. It chunked through a WU in a bout 2 1/2 hours, made it to 100% on the CPU side but is still working at around 10% on the GPU side. Is this typical? I looked through the F@H faq and didn't see anything pertinent. I have a I7 cpu with four cores, two threads each and an NVidia GT770M. The machine is an AW M17xr4 that I use for video editing and compositing in remote locations.

cinetrope

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2014
Joshua Tree, CA
Yeah folding is best done when the computer can be at optimal cool temperatures under 100% load
I was thinking about putting some money into a dedicated folding machine. Nothing fancy or expensive, maybe a used rig repurposed to run GPU projects. This thread is vast and I haven't had time to read much of it. If you covered the subject anywhere, perhaps you could direct me to the pages...or an outside resource if it isn't here? I was also wondering if it was possible to rollback the firmware on a PS3 and use it to generate points for ECF or has Sony's end of support for the project made that impossible?

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Haven't been here in awhile, as I travel a lot these days and my poor Lil laptop doesn't do much and can't run any of the newer clients, will be nice to settle back down this summer and fire up the sli box again

Just wanted to say thanks to the newer folders, and don't forget if we don't have an answer Stamford has a massive forum for folding and everyone there is always helpful.

Thanks again guys, :D

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Man i cant wait to finally settle down and bust out the folding rig again. Sigh. Keep going guys lol.

A s for the folding rig idea my buddy on hocp has a cheap mobo and cpu with 3 monster vid card running 3 seperate gpu units the cpu is a hexcore and it runs too but it cant touch those huge cards he got

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread