TobaccoFreeCA: "Vaping is turning kids into addicts"

Status
Not open for further replies.

hashtag

Ultra Member
May 17, 2015
Stillblowingsmoke has to be the worst website design ever. It takes significant effort to even figure out how to look at the propaganda.

I hate how they lump all vaping into the big tobacco category. Big Tobacco is abusing vaping with the intention of getting non-cigalike products banned. This site seems more aimed at getting people to smoke regular cigs than preventing tobacco use.

Are they aware that tobacco and nicotine are two different things? The whole site reminds me of the non smoking ads made by kids, except kids have an excuse for not understanding anything about the products and industry they are opposing.

Reactions: Endor

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California
This must be working at some level, based on an experience yesterday waiting at a bus stop in west LA.

At this particular bus stop, there is a largish gravel area off the sidewalk, and this is where I typically stand when vaping (being courteous and all). For the first time since I started vaping, an older lady approaches me and says that I shouldn't be using those things, and they are really bad for me. She was well intentioned, not rude nor condescending, and this wasn't the typical "coughing, gagging, waving arms" technique I used to see when I smoked.

I thanked her for her concern, and briefly explained that I used to smoke and this was how I quit, I'm good, and that she can leave me alone now (which is easily achieved by popping my earbuds back in my ears).

Her English wasn't very good, and the bus arrived, otherwise I would have engaged her more to find out where she got this idea.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Are they aware that tobacco and nicotine are two different things?
Yes, they are very well aware of that.
Their goal is to make sure the public is not aware of that.

Her English wasn't very good, and the bus arrived, otherwise I would have engaged her more to find out where she got this idea.
The mainstream media.

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California
Are they aware that tobacco and nicotine are two different things?

Well, I think they are aware. But the propaganda machine is in high gear here.

Under the Heatlh section, they explain how nicotine is "as addictive as ......", was used as an insecticide (true), and causes all kinds of ills.... basically it is really deadly, nasty stuff.

...but then the site says: "But for the best chance at success, pick an FDA-approved method for quitting."

Ok, what's my choices then? Primarily, nicotine replacement therapy. "Wait, that has nicotine, the evil stuff you just told me will cause heart attacks, type 2 diabetes, and my babies to be born naked?" Well, yes, but the FDA-approved kind is magical and doesn't suffer from those same problems (nor does it have "particles").

Alternatively, the FDA approved (and subsequently black labeled) Chantrix. That has resulted in hundreds of suicides (at least 500, and that number was reported back in 2013), not to mention a very high relapse rate.

Ignore that man behind the curtain, please.

hashtag

Ultra Member
May 17, 2015
Alternatively, the FDA approved (and subsequently black labeled) Chantrix.

I took that for about two weeks it didn't agree with my system. Made me puke about an hour after ingestion and feel sick all the time. I was smoking less but just because I felt so sick I couldn't.

The propaganda is so ridiculous, selling nicotine products and pharmaceuticals under the guise of helping people just to turn around and shun the first product that seems to actually work for people. This is what we get out of BT funding anti-smoking, they control the message to make sure they don't actually succeed.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Big Tobacco does not control the message, although they do (unwillingly) fund it in large part.

The ANTZ control the message, funded by Big Pharma and Big Government.
And Big Government is in turn funded by tobacco taxes and Big Tobacco payments under the MSA.

As for the Big Pharma funding, here is one of the smoking guns...
FORCES International - News Portal

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California
I took that for about two weeks it didn't agree with my system. Made me puke about an hour after ingestion and feel sick all the time. I was smoking less but just because I felt so sick I couldn't.

I never tried it, mainly because of the common side effect of having strange dreams. I normally have really weird dreams as it is. I took melatonin once to help me sleep on a long international flight. It's also known to create very lucid dreams,and oh boy, I still remember those dreams. LOL!

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Do you folks realize that the money does not come only from BG, BT, BP, etc, but from many of you as well. Just check out where your charitable donations go.
Yes.

Vapers should SERIOUSLY consider NEVER donating to the following ever again...
--American Lung Association
--Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids
--American Academy of Pediatrics
--American Heart Association
--Action on Smoking and Health

Also, although there have been slight indications of a possible change of tone...
--American Legacy Foundation
--American Cancer Society

I know there are others, but I can't be bothered to look them up.
Just suffice to say I no longer donate to ANY of the "health non-profits" anymore.

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
If they gave 2 monkeys about kids' health they would be trying to
raise the legal age to 21 instead of debating what color their next
Lexus should be.

Um, no, that's not it at all. Like confiscatory taxes, age restrictions - particularly those targeting adults - are more than useless as they result in black markets where questionable products get into the hands of kids. Even the TC cult freely admits 90%+ of people start smoking in their teens in spite of 18+ restrictions and absurd taxation.

To resolve this lunacy ALL must enthusiastically and unreservedly promote [HASHTAG]#vaping[/HASHTAG] as the solution to the [HASHTAG]#smoking[/HASHTAG] problem and make the most effective equipment and supplies easily accessible, attractive, and affordable to smokers irrespective of age.

hashtag

Ultra Member
May 17, 2015
Um, no, that's not it at all. Like confiscatory taxes, age restrictions - particularly those targeting adults - are more than useless as they result in black markets where questionable products get into the hands of kids. Even the TC cult freely admits 90%+ of people start smoking in their teens in spite of 18+ restrictions and absurd taxation.

To resolve this lunacy ALL must enthusiastically and unreservedly promote [HASHTAG]#vaping[/HASHTAG] as the solution to the [HASHTAG]#smoking[/HASHTAG] problem and make the most effective equipment and supplies easily accessible, attractive, and affordable to smokers irrespective of age.

Yeah this is what makes it all a tough debate. Everyone wants to protect kids but we also have to remember that the more we try to keep things away from kids the more they want them. I tried a lot more illegal things in high school than any point after, in many ways restricting something from teens is better advertising than any marketing.

plumeguy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2014
These Here United States

As long as the legal age is less than 21 "protecting the kids" will be political cover for taxing and regulating
all users. I suspect it's much more likely one can get the legal age raised to 21 than to get 51% of the population
to enthusiastically agree that vaping is the best possible solution to the smoking problem.

Reactions: Rossum

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
smokefreeca.org are the ones trying to get kids addicted.
smokefreemn.org are running their PSA's here.
those PSA's are the reason my grandkids find out about this stuff.
when they ran the PSA with the little kids frolicking amidst
the tables with all flavored e-hookas and cigars they convey
the message that flavors are advertising to kids.
stupid people fall for it. but what do the children see?
they see those kids having a good time checking out
all those colorful goodies. mmm,mmm,mmm,good.
boy i'd like some of that. i believe this is a deliberate
tactic designed to entice kids into using these products
so they can stay in the business of telling those same kids
not to use these products.
for the older teens their a little more subtle.
show a good looking young person looking cool
using a PV,insert a false claim how doing this is
very bad for you.show another good looking young
looking cool using a PV,insert another bold face lie.
repeat this process until you are sure the kids see
through the lies and think using a PV is cool.
our vendors are not advertising to kids. they
don't have too. organisations like smokefreeca
are doing it for them.
:2c:
regards
mike

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
smokefreeca.org are the ones trying to get kids addicted.
smokefreemn.org are running their PSA's here.
those PSA's are the reason my grandkids find out about this stuff.
when they ran the PSA with the little kids frolicking amidst
the tables with all flavored e-hookas and cigars they convey
the message that flavors are advertising to kids.
That commercials is all OVER the place now, on many different channels.
I see it at least twice per day, and it PISSES me off.

I've decided that from now on I'm just going to make a joke out of it.

So I tell people that it's true, and that Big Tobacco hosts parties in Day Care Facilities...
And that they give out those yummy, poisonous, addictive goodies as party favors.

It seems to help people to realize the absurdity of it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread