Testing DIY Bases?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've recently made a batch of juices that all seem to have a bit of a tang to them. Wondering if it could be a bad batch of VG. What is VG supposed to taste like? Or maybe its my PG? I just want to eliminate the possibility of bad bases before i go messing with my flavor percentages and end up wasting a bunch of time. Anyone know a good way to determine if your bases are good?

Reactions: mauricem00

mauricem00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2015
carson city nevada
VG should have a sweet taste to it with no tang. PG could give a bit of tang to your juice.but if they are bad they would have an unpleasant rancid smell.(VG) PG is a mix of 2 kinds of alcohol and usually does not go bad. you may try using more VG and less PG in your base.also nicotine may be too high in your base

Reactions: RM1028
VG should have a sweet taste to it with no tang. PG could give a bit of tang to your juice.but if they are bad they would have an unpleasant rancid smell.(VG) PG is a mix of 2 kinds of alcohol and usually does not go bad. you may try using more VG and less PG in your base.also nicotine may be too high in your base

In my experience, PG has no taste whatsoever. VG is a tad sweet, but there's no tang to either. I'd look to your flavorings unless, as someone suggested, you had a bad batch.

Yeah i think i'll have to try some of the VG just straight. Its new (within a month or 2 old) and there's definitely no rancidness. Good to know it would be that distinctive if it were bad. These are recipes i've been zeroing in on for a while so for them all to develop a tangyness that i don't recognize its either one of my bases or i got a case of vape tongue. I think the second is more likely now.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
I have tried 2 kinds of VG straight and they both have just a bit of a very slightly musty taste. No that is not quite right but they do have just a bit of taste. Maybe a touch of dry straw? No hard to define but I can taste it. Maybe ever so slightly sweet. But not bitter or sour at all and I am very sensitive to bitter. Never tried straight pg.
the tang could be nicotine?

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
First
VG is a sugar, and should be sickeningly sweet, ( I even tried it in coffee once was worse then saccharine )

Second I have to ask if maybe your either adding too much flavor or your not steeping them first.

Too much can be horrible
Not steeping can be anything from dank to perfumy or chemical-y

I have a gal of VG like 14 months old.still fine.

It takes a lot to make VG and pg go bad.

Next, are you sure your using USP pure?

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
First
VG is a sugar, and should be sickeningly sweet, ( I even tried it in coffee once was worse then saccharine )
Not to rain on your parade, but VG is an alcohol, not a sugar. It is a "sugar alcohol" meaning it is derived from sugar, but note that its proper name (glycerol) ends in -ol (alcohols, as in ethanol, methanol, and xylitol), not -ose (sugars, as in glucose, fructose, and sucrose.)

Also "sickeningly sweet" is I suppose a subjective term, but objectively it's just a little over half as sweet as regular table sugar, so... :shrug:

Last edited:

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Not to rain on your parade, but VG is an alcohol, not a sugar. It is a "sugar alcohol" meaning it is derived from sugar, but note that its proper name (glycerol) ends in -ol (alcohols, as in ethanol, methanol, and xylitol), not -ose (sugars, as in glucose, fructose, and sucrose.)
Picky picky picky, The glycerol backbone is central to all lipids known as triglycerides. "Glycerol is sweet-tasting and generally considered non-toxic.
"As a sugar substitute, it has approximately 27 kilocalories per teaspoon"

VG is used as a non caloric sweet flavoring in many foods.

I know my science, yet I prefer to at least try to not make it overly confusing for new members, so they can understand better without a college level chemistry lesson

Lewisss

Multiple ID Suspension
May 28, 2015
London
I've recently made a batch of juices that all seem to have a bit of a tang to them. Wondering if it could be a bad batch of VG. What is VG supposed to taste like? Or maybe its my PG? I just want to eliminate the possibility of bad bases before i go messing with my flavor percentages and end up wasting a bunch of time. Anyone know a good way to determine if your bases are good?

I too have just joined here, and also have just started making my own ejuice, I have been using 54g nicotine, mixed down to 6% nic, and 75%/25% vg/pg I am using flavourart, flavouring.
I know I should leave them to steep, but I have tried them straight from mixing, and I am not getting strong flavours, but I am getting an almost thick taste on my tongue, (taste is the wrong word ) more like a thin coating of flavourless flour.

Will steeping strengthen the flavour?
And will this sensation improve(ie diminish)

My favourite vale atm is snake oil, which is full of flavour and smooth and refreshing on the tongue.

Thanks in advance for your replies

Lewisss

Multiple ID Suspension
May 28, 2015
London
Yeah i think i'll have to try some of the VG just straight. Its new (within a month or 2 old) and there's definitely no rancidness. Good to know it would be that distinctive if it were bad. These are recipes i've been zeroing in on for a while so for them all to develop a tangyness that i don't recognize its either one of my bases or i got a case of vape tongue. I think the second is more likely now.

Total noob question, but what is vape tongue?

mauricem00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2015
carson city nevada

Also "sickeningly sweet" is I suppose a subjective term, but objectively it's just a little over half as sweet as regular table sugar, so... :shrug:
I think you are confusing VG with VG. VG is an oil. PG is and alcohol.VG is vegetable glycerin not glycerol

dhood

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2014
Georgia
At 75% VG, your flavors will be muted somewhat. PG is the flavor carrier in e-juice. Most people that mix add flavors generally around the 15-20% total range. Too much flavoring will taste like medicine, too little might not taste like much at all. It does depend on the flavor, however. When mixing my spearmint I've found that anything over 2% is way too much. Menthol is much the same. Fruits can be anywhere from 5-15% based on whether you are mixing them with other fruits or with creams. I use a dripper with a single coil build to taste where mine are in the maturing process. There is much more info here:

DIY E-Liquid | E-Cigarette Forum

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
I think you are confusing VG with VG. VG is an oil. PG is and alcohol.VG is vegetable glycerin not glycerol
Glycerol is the proper chemical name for the substance commonly referred to as VG, Vegetable Glycerin, or just plain Glycerine. They (PG and VG) are both alcohols; VG can be described as an "oily" liquid, but if either of them were actually oils that we were inhaling, we'd all be suffering from lipid pneumonia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread