Status
Not open for further replies.

dhood

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2014
Georgia
They are not meant to be replaceable. However, if they're dead, and you know your way around a soldering iron, you could probably find a few youtube videos that will walk you through the process. I'm pretty sure the 50W uses two 18650 batteries. Grimm Green dropped his first one in the ocean and decided to tear it apart after it didn't work anymore. He posted the pictures on his instagram account.

Reactions: Baditude

ZCAR1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2014
San Antonio, TX, USA
I'm pretty disappointed in my fairly-new iStick 20.
The battery crapped out after very light use (only on my 2nd coil in a dedicated Nautilus Mini).
Unfortunately it's about 4 months old and being used in a rotation of a 2nd iStick20, an iStick30,
and a 1/2 dozen Spinners.

I've got a small soldering iron, but there are tiny "odd" screws holding the top and bottom plates on.

caferacer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2015
Los Angeles
I've got a small soldering iron, but there are tiny "odd" screws holding the top and bottom plates on.

If your 20W has same Torx screws that hold a 50W together, then you'll need either a T5 or T6 bit (the correct size is actually right in between these two). You should be able to find them at most hardware stores.

Reactions: beckdg

Oberon75

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2014
Roseville, Mi, USA
Yeah the batteries built in, is garbage when the batteries go bad. That's the main downfall of iStick, and other nonreplacable.
Depends on the non replaceable. Vapor Shark has a $25 battery service for their products. But with something like an iStick, you pretty much just throw it away if you don't know much about electronics.

Sent from my HTC One M8 Harman/Kardon edition

DanJiblets

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
Shorewood, IL
Depends on the non replaceable. Vapor Shark has a $25 battery service for their products. But with something like an iStick, you pretty much just throw it away if you don't know much about electronics.

Sent from my HTC One M8 Harman/Kardon edition
Yeah I paid $30 for my 30w, and $40 for my 50w.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hello everyone, I have the istick 50w and 30w is it possible to replace the batteries in these? or am I stuck buying new ones if the batteries go bad?

That's a 'fixed battery' box.
The upgrade from that is the replaceable battery mods that take 18650 batteries.

With 18650 replaceable battery mods, you can tell the difference between your batteries that are old and need replacement compared to how your newer batteries perform.

ellejewell

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2015
Fl.
Mine still works, but I was wanting to ask since my husband was wondering about it and I don't want him to tinker with anything that isn't meant to be tinkered with when it does finally go! I've been considering going the mech mod route but it seems to be too much maintenance then what I am prepared to take on, but I do like the fact that they can last almost indefinitely.

Reactions: r77r7r

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Mine still works, but I was wanting to ask since my husband was wondering about it and I don't want him to tinker with anything that isn't meant to be tinkered with when it does finally go! I've been considering going the mech mod route but it seems to be too much maintenance then what I am prepared to take on, but I do like the fact that they can last almost indefinitely.

All batteries degrade over time.
The battery doesn't work like it is brand new then suddenly die all of a sudden.
It degrades gradually.

With a replaceable battery mod, and a lineup of 18650 batteries that you pick up over time, you can notice the difference between your older batteries and the newer ones.
With a fixed battery mod, you can't be as sure if it's the battery that's getting weaker.

As for a mech mod, I don't understand what you mean by too much maintenance. I guess you need more care, but there's no particular maintenance really.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes

I've ego batteries that lasted 2yrs daily use, many others have also. Many of the PV's with internal batteries that died early were junk to begin with. Or user error/damage.

Reactions: Iffy

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 2, 2013
    BC Canada
    I was under the impression that I had to let my Istick50 literally die before plugging it in so maybe not doing that you may have shortened the life of the batts and unless you take it apart, you really don't know what kind of batteries they are using in those isticks and you still might not know. I assume cheap batteries or whatever manufacture had the best deal that day. I've had my istick50 since February, it still goes 3 days vaping a 1.0 ohm coil and I let mine die before recharging. Its not my only PV so I won't miss it while charging. I saw a video on swapping out the batteries in a istick and it looked like a bit of a challenge but what do you got to loose, if the chip is good then its a real shame not to give it a shot before tossing it into recycling.

ellejewell

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 15, 2015
    Fl.
    All batteries degrade over time.
    The battery doesn't work like it is brand new then suddenly die all of a sudden.
    It degrades gradually.

With a replaceable battery mod, and a lineup of 18650 batteries that you pick up over time, you can notice the difference between your older batteries and the newer ones.
    With a fixed battery mod, you can't be as sure if it's the battery that's getting weaker.

As for a mech mod, I don't understand what you mean by too much maintenance. I guess you need more care, but there's no particular maintenance really.

I really havent done a deep search on mech mods, but from what I have gathered is that there is more to it than just recharging the batteries, they need to be cleaned regularly as well as checked for errors in the wiring and such to help prevent possible damage to the device or person using it. Is all of this necessary? I don't know really know. Anyone got a link for more information about mech mods? Maybe I am just over thinking it all but safety is a big issue for me and I really do not know how safe mech mods are. I dont sub ohm but I dont know if that even matters.

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 28, 2012
    I really havent done a deep search on mech mods, but from what I have gathered is that there is more to it than just recharging the batteries, they need to be cleaned regularly as well as checked for errors in the wiring and such to help prevent possible damage to the device or person using it. Is all of this necessary? I don't know really know. Anyone got a link for more information about mech mods? Maybe I am just over thinking it all but safety is a big issue for me and I really do not know how safe mech mods are. I dont sub ohm but I dont know if that even matters.

if safety is a big issue for you, I wouldn't consider mech mods at all. Stick to regulated, you will get more out of regulated devices with less hassle, there are many regulated devices out there with enough power that come with replaceable batteries.

Reactions: ellejewell

ellejewell

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 15, 2015
    Fl.
    if safety is a big issue for you, I wouldn't consider mech mods at all. Stick to regulated, you will get more out of regulated devices with less hassle, there are many regulated devices out there with enough power that come with replaceable batteries.
    Would the Vamo be one of them by any chance?

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 28, 2012
    Would the Vamo be one of them by any chance?

not sure I dont see many people talk about the VAMO, and i dont really dig the styling on it. I personally am waiting for the kanger subbox which is coming out within a month.

Newest-Subox-Mini-Starter-Kit-Kangertech-subbox.jpg

a month after release, kanger says they are going to release the mod separately as a standalone instead of the mod+tank kit. seeing as most vendors are taking preorders for around 60-70$ for the mod+tank kit, the mod alone I think would be a great deal. It is a 50W mod with replaceable 18650 battery.

for people who dont subohm though, a provari is the one I seen praised the most. it is a tube mod with replaceable battery. the provari people are like a cult and some of them are kooks, but i hear provari is a reliable mod :lol:

38.jpg

gota dig into those pockets if u want to buy a new one though. they start at 130$ for just one of the provari 2.5 tubes and upwards of 260$ for one of the newer kits.

these are 15w or 20w mods though, not sure what power you vape on your istick. so if you vape at 20w+ on your isticks this mods probably not for you

Sigelei is nice too, they have a 150w / 100w / 30w mini with replaceable batteries

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread