Post pictures of your working wick and coil setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
I've been having trouble finding builds (other than simple micro /macro coils that won't pop or spit back as much as claptons and twisted builds do in my twisted messes rda and El cabron rda. I really want to use the big included metal chuff caps but I find the spit back with even fused claptons can sometimes be unbearable. [emoji30]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i actually did another twisted nickel/kanthal clapton build for my el cabron, the spitback isnt that bad, although its nickel and im using it on a DNA40, 0.22ohm 28gauge nickel around 24g kanthal, 40watts 400F on an el cabron. its a giant single coil though, 7 wraps around 1.5mm, the vape is the most satisfying nickel build I've done yet.

EverPresentNoob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2015
DC Metro area
Had to redo the coils.. the 24G had to long of a ramp up time and once warm the vape was full of spitback.

New coils are 28G twisted wrapped 9 times around a 3/32 rod duals for a .63ohm build. little cooler, ramp up is zilch, and there is darn near no spitting. All in all a much better vape experiance.

Had to salvage the 28G kanthal from a set of fubar'd clapton wires I built yesterday thinking I was gonna make a monster coil. it was two strands of twisted 24G wrapped together with the 28g. was to wide to fit into most of my RDA's. I did get a single coil into my new RDA, but I could only fit a 3 wrap and it was just under .1 ohm. didnt even fire it. So I unwrapped the 28G and built these twisted coils instead.

EverPresentNoob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2015
DC Metro area
I've been having trouble finding builds (other than simple micro /macro coils that won't pop or spit back as much as claptons and twisted builds do in my twisted messes rda and El cabron rda. I really want to use the big included metal chuff caps but I find the spit back with even fused claptons can sometimes be unbearable. [emoji30]

I found that for the least ammount of spitting 28G Parallel builds at about .5-.7ohms work best. See my post above for a 28G twisted at .63 ohm. very VERY minimal spitting. I have tried claptons, twisted and a few others out of 24G and everything spits. the 28 seems to minimise it. I hit the fire button, puff into the Chuff cap, then do a full lung hit and I am golden. I am constantly rebuilding due to spitting, but this seems to be the answer for me. I am normally running between 60 and 75 watts on my Sigelie 100+ with these builds.

How do you like the Twisted Messes RDA? Just got mine yesterday and with these 28G twisted coils it is rapidly becoming my favorite RDA.

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
The only time i really get fireworks(spitback) is when ive just dripped and the coil itself is full of juice, on fresh batteries i do a pre fire to empty the coils of juice.
You could do vertical builds or just sit another piece of cotton across the top of the posts and slightly fix it in place between the posts.
Even wicking like 'Yosh Vapergate' does @ youtube in his wicking tutorial calms down hotter builds and reduces spit for me.

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
Braidator

left to right, 'reversed stapled tiger', 'stapled tiger' & 'staggered clapton'. just thought i'd show off my messes rda's and me copper cherry bomber which hits so bleeding hard i had to calm things down by only using the one coil in it lol

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
Braidator

left to right, 'reversed stapled tiger', 'stapled tiger' & 'staggered clapton'. just thought i'd show off my messes rda's and me copper cherry bomber which hits so bleeding hard i had to calm things down by only using the one coil in it lol

:thumb:

You do some awesome wire work Slippy. Kinda makes me sad I just don't have the time to experiment anymore.

Reactions: SLIPPY_EEL

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
Had to redo the coils.. the 24G had to long of a ramp up time and once warm the vape was full of spitback.

New coils are 28G twisted wrapped 9 times around a 3/32 rod duals for a .63ohm build. little cooler, ramp up is zilch, and there is darn near no spitting. All in all a much better vape experiance.

Had to salvage the 28G kanthal from a set of fubar'd clapton wires I built yesterday thinking I was gonna make a monster coil. it was two strands of twisted 24G wrapped together with the 28g. was to wide to fit into most of my RDA's. I did get a single coil into my new RDA, but I could only fit a 3 wrap and it was just under .1 ohm. didnt even fire it. So I unwrapped the 28G and built these twisted coils instead.

That wouldn't fit in your twisted messes rda??

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
I found that for the least ammount of spitting 28G Parallel builds at about .5-.7ohms work best. See my post above for a 28G twisted at .63 ohm. very VERY minimal spitting. I have tried claptons, twisted and a few others out of 24G and everything spits. the 28 seems to minimise it. I hit the fire button, puff into the Chuff cap, then do a full lung hit and I am golden. I am constantly rebuilding due to spitting, but this seems to be the answer for me. I am normally running between 60 and 75 watts on my Sigelie 100+ with these builds.

How do you like the Twisted Messes RDA? Just got mine yesterday and with these 28G twisted coils it is rapidly becoming my favorite RDA.

Damn I'm double posting again. Oh well lol. I like 28 g n80 but I tend to favor builds around 0.2-0.35 ohms. I've been using mech mods and unregulated boxes for awhile but I just got a sigelei 150 so I guess I'm still experimenting on how to build differently on it. It's weird though because even with my 28g n80 core fused claptons I'm still only vaping between 60-75 watts just like you are (though that may only be because I ordered my last batch of juice with too high of a menthol option). I only vape menthol fruits and I found that with claptons and builds of the like the menthol throat hit seems to increase to a level that is very uncomfortable past a 2 second hit [emoji19] .

Anyway as far as the twisted messes rda goes I love it so far definitely the best and easiest and most enjoyable deck I've ever built on. I got my El Cabron and twisted messes rda within days of each other so I'm still bouncing between the two. I find I favor the El Cabron more because it doesn't leak on my mod sometimes as the twisted messes does and more probably just because I got the all black one and I think it looks so freaking tight on anything lol.

Funny off topic comment here, I actually just ordered another replacement deck for the El Cabron (and the twisted messes rda too I guess since they are interchangeable) but when I called rbavapor to ask if they offered a black extra deck instead of getting some customer service rep on the phone I actually got the maker of the El Cabron/twisted messes rda lol. We talked for 20 min he's such a cool dude and he actually told me about a brand new rda he just designed coming out next week he said that is supposed to blow everything out of the water and be the best rda out there. I'm excited but also kind of oddly upset because I just got my El Cabron and Twisted Messes and feel like they are the two best overall rdas on the market right now and have no money to put down on another rda so soon [emoji24] . Anyway for builders I definitely think the El Cabron and Twisted Messes are rdas that will forever be in your rotation. They are so awesome in so many ways: quality, innovation, features (juice well depth, post hole size).

P.s. For all the twisted messes rda owners on this thread, he did also say they will be coming out with more color rings soon. It was another thing I asked about lol.

etherealink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2013
Junction, IL
e7a80622ac60d9c0e89c7a0e216af2c2.jpg

5-loop 28ga ka1 in a doge v1 roughly .14Ω single coil

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
Well this thread has been bloody humbling!

Anyway, my first twisted coil and I'll never go back. Vapour density has doubled and flavour is just unreal.

This was hand twisted and rolled under tension, has roughly 1mm of pitch, 2mm ID and clocks in at 0.7ohms (bang on target).

Firing beautifully on my VA Cyclone (non-AFC, stock 1mm air hole) with good warmth and absolutely no sputter. I'm in love.

Next step will be to roll one wrap less so I can do my usual vertical build for this atty.

c34UpmW.jpg

EverPresentNoob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2015
DC Metro area
That wouldn't fit in your twisted messes rda??

I had twisted it around a 1/8 drill. there was just Barely any clearance between coil and the wall of the RDA. Between that and the low ohm build I didnt feel it was safe to use. It was just a little experiment anyway. I tried to wrap it on a 3/32 rod, but the wire was to darn stiff to wrap well. So I kinda gave up on it.

Now I have a three strand parallel build dual coil on 3.32 rod in it. Loving this at 75 watts with Fruit Loops from White Lable Juice.

etherealink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2013
Junction, IL
top one is 29 n80 over 21g titanium and the other one is about 25 strands of 0.1(38g)n80 with 32g over.

gotta keep they fingers busy :) i'm gonna shoot for 50 strands of 38g with clapton or something like that lol

you been doing some very nice work yourself ;)
Thanks brother, I'm getting ready to set up some flat braided 32 gauge 5 loop and some parallel 26 with 3 loop 30 gauge over the top

EverPresentNoob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2015
DC Metro area
So I finally did it. a couple weeks ago someone posted about the Twisted Messes RDA and in the pic there was this awesome looking coil installed. I bought the RDA that day and finally built that first coil I saw installed in it.

This coil is twisted 28G / 5 strips of .5mm flat stacked / twisted 28G then stapled with 32G. twisted 4 times on a 1/8 drill. Clocks in at .22 ohms. takes about 1.5 seconds to heat up on my Sigelei 100+ set at 80W. Flavor is freaking phenomenal and vapor is pretty darn good as well.

Took about 20 mins to make the coil but it was well worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread