Status
Not open for further replies.

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
"Paradox", French West Indies
Don't know if these are readily available yet as of posting. Certainly they seem to be getting the thumbs up and lots of reviewers can be seen using them. Only 1800 mah but performance for mech users seems to be their forté. Interesting item, does anyone have them who has equipment to test their performance?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I've not seen any unbiased data on these batteries.

I'm concerned that they are marketed as a high amp, high drain battery, yet they are called "ICR" batteries in the marketing ads. We all know that technically ICR batteries are lithium cobalt batteries and those are never high drain or have high amp value. One would think if Aspire wanted to be considered seriously in the battery market that they would get their labeling down correctly and provide some real data sheets on specs. Also worth noting that to date there has been no 18650 batteries on the market which has more than 30 amps maximum continuous discharge rate. It's hard for me to believe that Aspire has beaten the big name manufacturers to the punch by making the first one.

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
Hopefully mooch has dug up some data. I couldn't spend much time doing research today other than what they say on Aspires website aboutum..would like to check a folks on facebook.
"Aspire has developed a new Solid Solution technology by mixing the high capacity characteristics of the Li-ion chemistry [cobalt based] cells, and high safety of the LiMn2O4 [manganese based] Lithium based batteries". - See more at: Aspire - Aspire 18650 Battery

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Some info on the Aspire 18650 from the manufacturer's safety test reports. Interesting stuff, some of it...

http://www.aspirecig.com/uploads/pdf/RZUN2015-1095.pdf
    http://www.aspirecig.com/uploads/pdf/EN62133TestReport15PNS0409201001.pdf

- Tests performed April 28th - May 13th, 2015
    - Shenzhen Yongdeli New Energy Company, Ltd.
    - Model number = 18650D
    - Recommended charging = 360mA to 4.20V
    - Max recommended charging voltage = 4.25V to 90mA taper current
    - Max recommended charging current = 3.6A
    - Charging temperature limits = 0C-45C
    - Minimum voltage for all tests = 3.0V
    - Lithium-colbalt (LiCoO2) cathode
    - Aspire talks about this being a hybrid cell but it just seems to be an ICR cell...same as LiPo's. It's marked "ICR".
    - Short circuit through approx. 70mOhm load = 125C case temperature at 23C ambient.
    - Short circuit through approx. 70mOhm load = 115C case temperature at 55C ambient.
    - UN38.3 safety tests show no disassembly, rupturing, or fire for 10 cells short circuited through <100mOhm load and case temp never exceeded 170C. This means leaking or venting may have occurred.
    - UN38.3 safety tests for complete discharges at 40A did not result in disassembly or fire. That means leaking, venting, and bursting could have occurred.

Last edited:

juicynoos

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 27, 2014
    Thanks for posting that Mooch, I did read all this already and looked at other ICR cells made by Samsung to see if these Aspires were perhaps rewraps by comparing specs. They don't give any specifics of the AMP rating regarding continuous or pulse. I'm intrigued but doubtful as Bad and others have suggested given their chemistry. One obvious factor is that they have gone for a safer cell.

Reactions: Mooch

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Yea, about the only way we could derive amp ratings, and just the continuous, would be by comparing EN/UN test results between the Aspires and Samsung's, Sony's, etc. If two cells have the same test results (temperatures, failure rates, etc.) we might be able to apply the current ratings of the one to the other. I wouldn't rate the Aspire as a 40A cell though if it vents during a 40A discharge, as it appears to have done during UN testing.

I might have misunderstood you...were you saying that Aspire has gone for a safer cell?
    According to their documentation it's an LCO (ICR) cell. Don't know how they have gotten such a low resistance, high-current 18650 cell in that chemistry though. They did drop the capacity vs the high-amp IMR cells, but would that be enough to explain it?

Last edited:

juicynoos

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 27, 2014
    Thanks for doing those tests Mooch. I'll be sticking to known good battery's and avoid the hyped stuff. I'd guess Aspire brought these out to go with their Sub ohm tube and tanks where the draw would be under 9amps. More worrying is the reviewer in the vid I posted saying they are ideally suited to sub ohm mech users!

Reactions: Mooch

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Thanks for doing those tests Mooch. I'll be sticking to known good battery's and avoid the hyped stuff. I'd guess Aspire brought these out to go with their Sub ohm tube and tanks where the draw would be under 9amps. More worrying is the reviewer in the vid I posted saying they are ideally suited to sub ohm mech users!

Yea, that could get interesting. :shock:
    Pulsed high amp uses are safer than continuous but, heaven forbid, if there is a problem....ohhhhhh boy. These are LCO cells, the same as LiPo's!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread