Rayon wick, better flow, flavor, saturation and Nic Hit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
Hey guys,

I've been using Rayon non-stop since I first checked in a week or so ago. I am really liking it!

What I'm still not quite sure on is how much I'm meant to use outside the coil, especially in RDAs where I could theoretically use as much as fits in the rda. I read most of the posts on Jeremy's blog, and I get that I should pull off a piece that's about double the width of the coil and then taper it just enough to get it through. I'm doing that now and it's improved things a lot (in my first couple I was rolling it hard and getting a cotton-like taste, presumably because it was too compressed.)

But what I'm not sure about is how much to keep outside the coil?

I just posted this pic on another thread, so thought I'd use the opportunity to ask about it. This is a Magma rda, and as you can see I've basically filled the RDA with rayon. I then pour juice all over the wick, and sometimes a little in the gap in the middle.

Too much? I could use a lot less and then just rely on the RDA base to hold the extra juice. Does it matter either way? Well, one downside I do know of with this much cotton is that when I pour on juice with the top cap off, as shown in the photo, it has a tendency to run down the outside of the rayon and out of the RDA, making a mess. It's OK when I add juice through the drip tip hole, with the cap on, but a lot of the time I like taking the top cap off so I can better judge how much is already in there / how much to add without over-filling it (especially in smaller capacity RDAs like the Derringer.)

TIA!
I would say too much. On my rda's I trim my tails just long enough to reach the deck and tuck under the coil a bit

atroph

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Chesapeake, VA
Hey guys,

I've been using Rayon non-stop since I first checked in a week or so ago. I am really liking it!

What I'm still not quite sure on is how much I'm meant to use outside the coil, especially in RDAs where I could theoretically use as much as fits in the RDA. I read most of the posts on Jeremy's blog, and I get that I should pull off a piece that's about double the width of the coil and then taper it just enough to get it through. I'm doing that now and it's improved things a lot (in my first couple I was rolling it hard and getting a cotton-like taste, presumably because it was too compressed.)

But what I'm not sure about is how much to keep outside the coil?

I just posted this pic on another thread, so thought I'd use the opportunity to ask about it. This is a Magma RDA, and as you can see I've basically filled the RDA with rayon. I then pour juice all over the wick, and sometimes a little in the gap in the middle.

Too much? I could use a lot less and then just rely on the RDA base to hold the extra juice. Does it matter either way? Well, one downside I do know of with this much cotton is that when I pour on juice with the top cap off, as shown in the photo, it has a tendency to run down the outside of the rayon and out of the RDA, making a mess. It's OK when I add juice through the drip tip hole, with the cap on, but a lot of the time I like taking the top cap off so I can better judge how much is already in there / how much to add without over-filling it (especially in smaller capacity RDAs like the Derringer.)

TIA!
Here is a magma build that I found on my phone from a while back. I still do it the same way.

Emyzx-deu99w6NcOQ0hnQEGN_GUfwGDk-8N4IanQdkY=w800-h936-no

You can see here that I too am a member of over-wickers anonymous and have since changed my ways.

O8I7kN9EW8gZ-x2YuVyGKE_hoHVGF_qBhU38w2KUcjI=w551-h973-no

This one is a little better... I sooooo hated that atty.

2ynhnFIVr1_2hc7gbXs3tGhOCR-OqYqmokUb4LZN3G0=w551-h973-no

Last edited:

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
Awesome, thanks @atroph ! And really, that first one was an 'over-wick'? It looks like about 5 times less rayon than I used :)

Which atty is that in the second and third pic, the quad poster? Is it that one that you hate? It looks kind of familiar but I can't place it.

I do love those nice chunky screws you've got on your Magma - mine is a clone and came with much crapper screws! That's always the main way that clones lose out to originals, poor screws.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Which atty is that in the second and third pic, the quad poster? Is it that one that you hate? It looks kind of familiar but I can't place it.
Looks like the venerable Plume Veil with the well thought out weep/drain holes in the negative posts.
If you get a clone PV be very careful of the gold plating as it will start to flake off on some of the Chinese versions.

atroph

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Chesapeake, VA
The Magma is wicked correctly (for me) and is a Tobeco Clone.

The second and third atty is the Tobeco Plume Veil. Leak leak leak leak leak leak.

It also didn't help that my vendor's (at the time) juice vaped like razor blades at high volume. I narrowed it down to their nic. I have since went DIY and resolved that problem.

As for the leaking Plume Veil I solved it by getting rid of it! I traded it for a older Kayfun and IMO it was awesome until I snapped the center post. Guess I needed to upgrade which I did and got the V4 (Tobeco)!

I personally have had good luck with Tobeco clones in regards to nice screws, good machine quality, and good o-rings. I kinda seek them out if I am in the market for a new atty and use them as the "golden standard" to compare others to. I think Infinite beat out Tobeco with the KF v4 clones as their kit comes with spare parts and the Tobeco doesn't. My KF v4 had slightly crunchy threads until I unscrewed and re-screwed it a few times. Now it is smooth as silk, and it has always been a great vape.

Last edited:

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
I agree with you, atroph. Tobeco makes a pretty good clone. Even for mods. I bought a Tobeco Knight mod around a year ago, and it still works fine with no problems whatsoever. Same with my Orchid V2 (I'm pretty sure it's Tobeco as well)

Just to add on so I don't have to make a new post...
Sorry that I haven't been around very much lately. Life has been getting in the way, but it appears that things may be settling down for me, so hopefully I'll be around a bit more. Also, I just ordered a Praxis clone and a Derringer clone from FT. I'll let you guys know what I thing about those in a month or so when they finally show up. If they are as good as I hope, then I expect I'll be picking up the authentics as soon as I can!

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
Just a quick (make go) build at work on my FeV V3 that finally landed from GB.
Excellent flavor and vapor! The build will be refined later on.
8on3ckF.jpg

Wow, you guys make me feel like I'm using too little rayon..... maybe I'll have to post a build pic next week for a bit of critique from the master vapers... just promise to not slam me too hard for the lack of space between my coils. ;)

Reactions: IML8

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Wow, you guys make me feel like I'm using too little rayon..... maybe I'll have to post a build pic next week for a bit of critique from the master vapers... just promise to not slam me too hard for the lack of space between my coils. ;)
Don't take that as a standard use of Rayon. I just wanted to fire up the Flashi and had to use the ruler on my Leatherman to measure the mesh for the wick... Serious hack and slash! I didn't want the 5ml's to pour out the air hole on me till I had the wicks tuned up properly and it is the first build on this new atty.

Excess Rayon is called for in such a situation. :D

Reactions: IML8

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL

The fev is a little different from others as it drips from the top onto the wick. Right at the coil.

Sgt.Rock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2014
The Poconos
Ok...Big brown truck stopped by about 45 minutes ago and I wicked up two Lemo2s...

First impressions?

Day-um! Wicking superiority is obvious when wetting the wick--and the increase in flavor is off the charts!

I'm sure I have some to learn but for now I wicked it like I was using the 100% cotton version of Cellucotton except real tight in the coil and it's hitting like a champ at .5 ohms on lo-o-o-ong lung hits.

Loving it so far!

EyesoreJr

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2015
Steeler Country
So after watching P. Brusardo's video on wicking material it seems to be either KGD or Rayon are the way to go. I've been using regular cotton and already to move on. Question I have is, where do you get the rayon? Can I get it at a JoAnn Fabrics or somewhere like that? Also, is it clean? Do you boil it or something? What it the advantage over KGD? What is the melting/burning point of rayon and is it higher or lower that cotton? Sorry for all the questions but I'd like to make sure it's safe.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
You can get rayon for wicks at Sally's Beauty Supply in the form of Graham CelluCotton. Make sure that the packaging states "100% rayon" because it also comes as a mix of cotton and rayon, and also comes with a paper strip in the middle. I have a box of 44060, approximately 500' for $12, that'll last a lifetime plus.

It is clean and you want to wash your hands before working with it. It will pick up skin oils and anything else that you may have handled while you're working with it.

Incidentally, not to knock PB, but I don't think he understood or knew all the techniques for properly wicking with rayon when he did that video.

HolmanGT

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
St. George, UT USA
So after watching P. Brusardo's video on wicking material it seems to be either KGD or Rayon are the way to go. I've been using regular cotton and already to move on. Question I have is, where do you get the rayon? Can I get it at a JoAnn Fabrics or somewhere like that? Also, is it clean? Do you boil it or something? What it the advantage over KGD? What is the melting/burning point of rayon and is it higher or lower that cotton? Sorry for all the questions but I'd like to make sure it's safe.

Eyesore,

One thing that is not consistent with Brusardo's test is he starts with dry wicks. The rayon for me shows a bit of resistance to juice absorption until it is completely wet then it wicks like a soda straw. So always make sure you prime you wick don't just count on the wick to wet itself. Hmmm... I don't think that is the best wording but I am sure you get my drift. ;)

Where to buy "Sallys beauty Supply" you can Google them and they are a chain all over the US. On their WEB site they have a section to find a store near you. It is about $14 dollars for 500 feet AKA "A lifetime supply". Caveat make sure you get the Rayon. The boxes all say Cellucotton and in fine print some product number box types will be 100% Rayon and some will be 100% Cotton so make sure you pick the right product number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread