Status
Not open for further replies.

havok333

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2012
Chapin, SC
Sorry for posting twice ... Does anyone know if Dready can put a patina on an aluminum mod? Or does it have to be brass or copper (both of which weigh too much for me)?
You can try sweet talking him with an ink on AL. He is working on new shop I believe so may too busy?

LittleBird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2014
East Coast, USA
I think Mark can do an alcohol ink patina on aluminum.
Thanks, Inswva. What is an alcohol ink patina? (I can google it, but I'm interested to know if anyone's seen it done)
(BTW, I'm in NoVa. SWVA is beautiful country.)

inswva

Do you even squonk, bro?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2014
Thanks, Inswva. What is an alcohol ink patina? (I can google it, but I'm interested to know if anyone's seen it done)

PM @Mark Howard for details... that would be your best bet.

I'm a NoVa native. Grew up in Fairfax City. Left in the early 90's and never looked back.

Mark Howard

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
www.dreadysmodspa.com
PM @Mark Howard for details... that would be your best bet.

I'm a NoVa native. Grew up in Fairfax City. Left in the early 90's and never looked back.

I went to high school in the Tidewater area and a couple years after at James Madison; totally agree, beautiful country but I got out of there and never looked back either. ;)

havok333

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2012
Chapin, SC
OMG, go look at some of the pics on his thread...alcohol ink can look superb! You get an aluminum TMod done, there's a law stating you have to post a pic here too. ;)

Tbev

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2013
SoCal-Vegas
instagram.com
I'm all for the ink but the durability is going to be dependent upon the clear coat you put over the ink, tge ink won't stay without it. Again, nothing is going to be more durable than cerakote ceramic clear coat but you can't use it over ink bc the ink can't be baked.

If you want to get crazy weir set you cab gov with hydroprinting, look that up on instagram for sine cool pics, but again your limited to the quality of the clear, with hydroprinting you can clear cerakote over it and be as good as it gets with as much detail as you want. Problem with hydroprinting is your limited to the available patterns on film, you can get custom films made but it's pretty pricy and it takes a long time. Personally I like hydroprinting, w clear cerakote it's a winner, if you find a pattern you like.

Nautilusfan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
:cool:
Here's the midnight blue

4c0f8a5bb46d00ea37787edcb8a0d13f.jpg
e6649f10f835051278cd8076b5ec4477.jpg
That's a great color! Bet it changes slightly in different light? Add a little metal flake and it would be killer!!

Nautilusfan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
You can scratch it , it's on aluminum but cerakote is a ceramic paint that is developed and approved for military use, you simply cannot get a more durable coating, in any color.

I can do multiple colors, I've done it but this is how it works: prep a paint dad bake the first color. Then you lay on a stencel, spray and bake for a second time, then you cover what you just painted with the reverse of the first stencel, and spray again. so to sum that up your talking about $50 for the first color, around $20 for the stencils $50 for the second color but I would charge at least $75 bc I have to use the stencil. So at this point in the process your talking one application of stencils and two colors it looks like this:

726105ce567a31a9e59413f30997946b.jpg

This is only half done.

See where I'm going with this...
Damn Tom! Just stop it!!:eek: You're trying your best to force me to get another Tmod:D

Hemptation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2014
Ridgeland,MS
Wonder how their cobalt looks. Bright orange and cobalt blue is like one of my favorite color combos of all time. lol.

Ok I see. Looking at the colors. So this is another application fr firearms as well. I'm totally ignorant when it comes to this. Their sky blue looks like cobalt I saw the Jesse James green you was talking about. Lol. Saw some pretty nice colors. Thank you T

Last edited:

LittleBird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2014
East Coast, USA
I'm all for the ink but the durability is going to be dependent upon the clear coat you put over the ink, tge ink won't stay without it. Again, nothing is going to be more durable than cerakote ceramic clear coat but you can't use it over ink bc the ink can't be baked.

If you want to get crazy weir set you cab gov with hydroprinting, look that up on instagram for sine cool pics, but again your limited to the quality of the clear, with hydroprinting you can clear cerakote over it and be as good as it gets with as much detail as you want. Problem with hydroprinting is your limited to the available patterns on film, you can get custom films made but it's pretty pricy and it takes a long time. Personally I like hydroprinting, w clear cerakote it's a winner, if you find a pattern you like.

Tom, what clear coat do you suggest for alcohol ink?

mommabird62

squonkhead
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
NC
thank you....and this one is for the rep......not sure the poor little derringer can hold up to my TMod just saying right now I am rocking the rogue on it.,......lol
thank you again SupaX

The Derringer works fabulous on the TMod. I have a brass one that matches my Brass TMod. Have it dialed it with 26g kanthal, duals at .49 ohms. It's a really nice vape and one of my go to's [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk with my paws :)

Mommabird62

mommabird62

squonkhead
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
NC
You can scratch it , it's on aluminum but cerakote is a ceramic paint that is developed and approved for military use, you simply cannot get a more durable coating, in any color.

I can do multiple colors, I've done it but this is how it works: prep a paint dad bake the first color. Then you lay on a stencel, spray and bake for a second time, then you cover what you just painted with the reverse of the first stencel, and spray again. so to sum that up your talking about $50 for the first color, around $20 for the stencils $50 for the second color but I would charge at least $75 bc I have to use the stencil. So at this point in the process your talking one application of stencils and two colors it looks like this:

726105ce567a31a9e59413f30997946b.jpg

This is only half done.

See where I'm going with this...

Yowsa! That looks sharp! [emoji4]

Mommabird62

Reactions: Hemptation

mommabird62

squonkhead
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
NC
Here's an up close of the first time I ever used Tiffany blue cerakote, this is my personal mod that I run a minimum of 10ml /day thru, throw on the ground in my pocket w keys / tools, and generally treat like crap.
You can see there are scratches in it but they don't go there the cerakote and expose the aluminum pretty much ever.
1a115c5ad2f01ca7427b1232f54d7a99.jpg
9894e3cf993a8923f5847504f556d660.jpg

Looks awesome for the use that it gets! I'm am glad to see this. I can live with some scratches. I use my TMods alot and expect a few dings. I was worried about scratching through the finish which would have been an OCD thing for me. LOL Obviously normal scratching doesn't phase the cerakote. [emoji4]

Mommabird62

mommabird62

squonkhead
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
NC
Sorry for posting twice ... Does anyone know if Dready can put a patina on an aluminum mod? Or does it have to be brass or copper (both of which weigh too much for me)?

LB-a true patina can't be done on the aluminum. but he could do the alcohol ink. He does awesome work with the ink as well [emoji4]

Edit:looks like you have your answers. I agree with the rest, it would be hard to keep it from getting dinged up. I have an alcohol ink REO door and there are a couple of dings around the edges that have flaked. But it is purty!

Mommabird62

Last edited:

mommabird62

squonkhead
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
NC
:cool:
That's a great color! Bet it changes slightly in different light? Add a little metal flake and it would be killer!!

Ooo.... Metal flaking would be awesome! A sparkly TMod! [emoji4]

Mommabird62

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread