Curious to the cost of making Diy joose

Status
Not open for further replies.

dionysuskiss

Cloud Dancer
ECF Veteran
Nov 28, 2014
Dallas,Texas
nic is degraded by air, heat, and light. for long term storage some suppliers sell nic where they purge the air with argon gas - costs more but should stay fresh a lot longer.
If that's the case, would it be better to put it in smaller bottles, and seal them ,and use as needed?

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
If that's the case, would it be better to put it in smaller bottles, and seal them ,and use as needed?
yes, that's what I do. And store the ones I'm not using in the refrigerator (I don't have room in the freezer, and the fridge will do nicely to protect it from heat - I wrap the bottles to protect from the fridge light)

Caro123

Apr 11, 2015
Nova Scotia
I had some trouble finding pg and vg but finally did get some at a drug store USP and I bought some nic in pg from a Canadian supplier only 50 ml very expensive they have to charge more for the nic due to issues of supply I suppose so I bit the bullet took a chance and ordered 1 liter of 100 mg / ml in a 50/50 mix nic from my freedom smokes it crossed customs without issue and even with Canadian exchange was much much cheaper. I bought a liter for 96.00 taxes and Canadian exchange and shipping that thousand Mls of 100 mg per ml will keep me going a very long time I vape 14 mg per ml

I bought quite a few flavours most I have not used yet I have made a few batches some are nicer than others and one I enjoy quite a bit. it only has two flavours and sweetener I also made up 40 Mls of no flavour 14 mg nic in a 50 /50 mix which I actually like just fine.

I have one DIY juice that gives me runny eyes I have to make 5 ml of each of the three individual flavours to see which flavour gives me runny eyes I do not yet make all of my own juice but once you get a few supplies you will most definitely find it to be much, much cheaper some of our juice here in Canada sells for 20 to 30 dollars a 30 ml bottle and I can make mine for less than a buck I also see myself as being a little more independent if it all skyrockets in price. I was spending 100.00 a week on smokes so in the twelve weeks I have not smoked I have saved 1200.00 minus the vape thingies and I have probably spent about 6 or 7 hundred on toys and juice goodies for vape thingies it is easy to get carried away with new toys or new flavours etc I DIY because it is fun and because I like the feeling of Independence and personal control-

my suggestion make small 10 ml batches - read and read some more and go slow and be careful with your nic. I use syringes because I am a nurse and very comfortable with syringes I also always use an online calculator for the math and I broke some of my nic down to have one 50 ml bottle 50 mg per ml dilution to make it easier to use but still am very careful with the nic and use gloves and pay careful attention when I make a small batch. there is some things you will need to consider one is called diacetyl the other is how much flavour you want to use. there are some very smart people on the DIY forum and it can get overwhelming but it is mega cheap and it is fun

jrlakeman

Mar 25, 2015
Ok bout to throw in a order but i have a question i vape 6mg nic is there any advantage to having 100mg nic versus say 12mg other the cost? Im thinking i could just cut the 12mg in half and just have a big batch of base made not have to fiddle with it as much. Also what is the prefered base pg or vg i vape rts so im 70vg to 80vg. Not really into making max vg as its not great at wicking so pg is ok for me. Just wondering if ones better than the other.

Last edited:

dhood

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2014
Georgia
I was wondering the same just a few days ago as I found myself out of my favorite menthol juice... The maker is based out of the UK and the US stockist for his juices has been out for months now with no replenish in sight...

Price of a 30ml bottle by the maker: $22
I like this particular juice at 24mg and a 50/50 mix.

So I went and did some research... Found all I needed at Wizard Labs
- Menthol Eucalyptus flavor concentrate by LorAnn (30ml): $5.45
- Menthol crystals (15 grams): $2.89
- USP PG (120ml): $3.19
- USP VG (120ml): $3.19
- Nicotine Solution - 48mg (120ml) - PG base: $9.99
- Nicotine Solution - 48mg (120ml) - VB base: $9.99

That totals out at $34.70 (give or take a couple bucks for S&H)... Let's say $40 all in.

Total volume of liquid purchased is 510ml. Let's say it takes me a few tries to get the mix right... Chalk 30ml down the toliet for testing and we're at 480ml of final product.

That's just over $0.08 per ml. So; yeah... I'm going DIY for this particular flavor.

Take the menthol crystals listed above and drop them in a 30ml bottle. Add about 15ml of PG - that will fill the bottle up. Shake madly til most of the crystals dissolve. then run a sink full of hot tap water and drop the bottle in there. take it out in about 10 minutes and continue to shake until the crystals are all dissolved. Drop it back in and let it sit until the water reaches room temperature. The menthol won't re-crystalize and it will be what I call XXX Menthol - be very careful not to get this in your eyes. To make your own you only need to add .3-.6 ml (1-2%) to a 30 ml bottle of juice for a nice smooth menthol.

Reactions: Seebs

Seebs

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2013
South Florida
Take the menthol crystals listed above and drop them in a 30ml bottle. Add about 15ml of PG - that will fill the bottle up. Shake madly til most of the crystals dissolve. then run a sink full of hot tap water and drop the bottle in there. take it out in about 10 minutes and continue to shake until the crystals are all dissolved. Drop it back in and let it sit until the water reaches room temperature. The menthol won't re-crystalize and it will be what I call XXX Menthol - be very careful not to get this in your eyes. To make your own you only need to add .3-.6 ml (1-2%) to a 30 ml bottle of juice for a nice smooth menthol.

Thaks for the info good Sr. I will take that into account when doing my first test batch.

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
Ok bout to throw in a order but i have a question i vape 6mg nic is there any advantage to having 100mg nic versus say 12mg other the cost? Im thinking i could just cut the 12mg in half and just have a big batch of base made not have to fiddle with it as much. Also what is the prefered base pg or vg i vape rts so im 70vg to 80vg. Not really into making max vg as its not great at wicking so pg is ok for me. Just wondering if ones better than the other.
I make 6mg juice and have found the 60mg nic the easiest math to work with. In a 10ml test batch, 1ml of it needs to be nic.

I'm thinking about stepping up to 100mg on my next order tho - cuz it's also easy math, and the nic is cheaper that way.

Papillon61

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2015
Sunshine Isle
Ok bout to throw in a order but i have a question i vape 6mg nic is there any advantage to having 100mg nic versus say 12mg other the cost?

It would work out cheaper yes but you need to be careful with 100mg nic. Make sure you wear gloves when you handle it and wash out any spills immediately. Nic can be absorbed through the skin and it could be dangerous. Please read up and make sure you know exactly what your are doing.

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
yes, that's what I do. And store the ones I'm not using in the refrigerator (I don't have room in the freezer, and the fridge will do nicely to protect it from heat - I wrap the bottles to protect from the fridge light)

Also (if you don't aleady) use brown glass bottles. Has to be glass. HDPE is permeable to oxygen and water vapor.

Reactions: KattMamma

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
I'm so glad I DIY, especially since I got my Subtanks.
I was vaping ~5ml/day for years with Evods, then Nautilus.
I dropped from 12mg to 4mg for the Kanger Subtanks.

I went from 5-7ml to 10+ml, now 15ml+/day at 20-30W
It more than doubled my DIY cost...to $12/month or so!

I have an Arctic tank on the way. Good at 60W+
My juice cost per month might someday actually exceed a $20 bill :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread