Status
Not open for further replies.

Aal_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Toronto
Imeo i do believe you are concerned from the heart on all of us. and I know you know better than me in metals. I will think about it and try to stop dry burning. But as I said I get a better vape with contact coils. Hopefully temperature control will eliminate all those worries.

Sad Society

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Contact coils for some reason never worked for me...in any ohm range. If the ohms were too high I couldn't get decent vapor. When I lowered the ohms, I always ended up burning the liquid.

Simple Spaced coils are the way for me. I was able to fit a 23 wrap simple spaced coil inside Tilemahos. That was just for experimentation purposes. I didn't use that build very long because the heat up time was too long. I posted a picture of this craziness awhile back.

I just rebuilt Tilemahos using my normal simple spaced coil set up. Instead of trying to burn and clean the wire.

SS=Simple Spaced Coil (or single spaced)
SS=Sad Society (or SoulSeek LOL)
GG=Perfection

Reactions: imeothanasis

Magaro

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2015
Corning, NY, USA
Greek Universities require from the students to do a "degree work" before they take their degree Aal. My work was about metals and foundries. I am a mechanical engineer too as you know. So please listen to me when I scream that you have to stop burning metals. Its unhealthy while you do it, its unhealthy because you change the structure of the metal, you produce oxides etc. Just make a google search about this issue.
Also do you prefer to wash your casseroles, or dry burn them? Do you dry burn the body of your atomizers to clean them? Does it looks right to you? Maybe you forgot the reason why modders started making SS atomizers and not nichrome ones or kanthal ones, or nickel ones? Will you keep your water on a nickel bottle? Or will you buy an atomizer made by nickel? Or do you really know how bad is rust in your lungs? I dont know but I can easily suspect. Very bad!
In a while we will be dead because of these bad practices that some ignorant people brought on vaping community

I know it's a huge thread, but I suggest that you go read through the "The end of microcoils?" thread if you want an overview of the realities of the high temperature heating of common vaping coil materials. Several metallurgical experts have been involved throughout the discussion. You are making statements which you simply do not have the scientific expertise to support or justify. No intent to disrespect you, but the high temperature oxidation and corrosion of engineering alloys is clearly not your field of expertise.

The end of microcoils? | E-Cigarette Forum

soulseek

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
London, UK
I know it's a huge thread, but I suggest that you go read through the "The end of microcoils?" thread if you want an overview of the realities of the high temperature heating of common vaping coil materials. Several metallurgical experts have been involved throughout the discussion. You are making statements which you simply do not have the scientific expertise to support or justify. No intent to disrespect you, but the high temperature oxidation and corrosion of engineering alloys is clearly not your field of expertise.

The end of microcoils? | E-Cigarette Forum
I'm going to read the 37 pages because I'm pretty sure that some interesting info will come up. But until then could you please tell me; do any of these experts have any data on the safety inhalation of vaporised glycerol (+some flavour) from a coil that has been dry burned? If they do, I'd love to see it.

Magaro

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2015
Corning, NY, USA
I'm going to read the 37 pages because I'm pretty sure that some interesting info will come up. But until then could you please tell me; do any of these experts have any data on the safety inhalation of vaporised glycerol (+some flavour) from a coil that has been dry burned? If they do, I'd love to see it.

I don't believe anyone in the thread has presented any convincing evidence concerning the safety of inhaling vaporized glycerol from any coil, dry burned or not. But I'm also pretty certain that no one has presented any evidence that dry burning a coil made vaping any more harmful than not dry burning a coil. Sorry, I know that probably isn't the answer you were hoping for.

steliosss

kindness always repays... be sure of that...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2012
Athens - Greece (GG land)
www.e-smokeguru.gr
Imeo is been informed about that thread many days ago.
Also he's been imformed that except the Dr's Farsalinos post in the thread and his post in his blog... it's been prevailed a brawl involving some "experts" metallurgists and a few poor "none dry burners" whose fight started like this

GIF-31.gif

And ended like that............

tumblr_inline_n2c61pR9Lo1s6nj75.gif

But be sure that's my opinion!!!!!!!!!

PS, ....also be sure imeo has also some good metallurgists (or whatever they called) as friends and also Dr Farsalinos is a close friend of him.

Last edited:

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
Magaro, thank you for posting on GG forum:)

Be sure that I always know what I am speaking off. You already read that I am an engineer with a degree on metals. So I am not going to read the 37 pages of the thread only because I dont have the time and not because I think that I know all things in this life. Maybe metallurgical experts may gave a little more info about this matter, maybe not. But the main fact here is not just to collect knowledge about metals but what they can do to our inhaling system. And if experts dont really provide evidence about what burned metals can do to our body, then they dont know what they are speaking off. Why? Because they may know what happen to burned metals but as you said they dont know the rest (that is the damage to our inhaling system).

These experts that came after years to tell us their opinion, are late. The main fact is that we are talking about this issue years before on GG forum, trying to protect our users from ignorant people or people that try to find new methods to satisfy the vaper but without thinking off side effects. But we do provide facts about the damage to our inhaling system. Simple facts that they dont need any expert to tell us. If you read a little more this GG thread you will agree with me.

Sometime experts know only what they know and nothing more. They cant go further. Also, if they think that dry burn doesnt change metal structure, just ask them why many metals after dry burn become brittle. Just a simple example.

Dont always wait for experts to tell you simple things. You are not a robot. Keep your mind open and think by yourself!

soulseek

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
London, UK
I don't believe anyone in the thread has presented any convincing evidence concerning the safety of inhaling vaporized glycerol from any coil, dry burned or not. But I'm also pretty certain that no one has presented any evidence that dry burning a coil made vaping any more harmful than not dry burning a coil. Sorry, I know that probably isn't the answer you were hoping for.

It was more of a rhetorical statement; if there was any sort of proof we would have heard to it by now. I've read thread now and I think it looked like a flame war to begin with; a bunch of people sticking to their own opinions with noone willing to meet the other half way. However, it did get interesting and insightful after page 30. I'll be coming back to it regularly, even though the discussion focuses mainly on Kanthal and not Ti, which is what I'm interested in.

Reactions: imeothanasis

Magaro

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2015
Corning, NY, USA
Be sure that I always know what I am speaking off.

Based on this single remark (and the rest of your reply as well) I can see that I won't be able to have a rational discussion with you about this subject. Thats a very dangerous attitude to have regarding science, especially the biological sciences and people's health.

Anyway my purpose in posting here was to plant a flag and leave a trail of breadcrumbs for any folks who might be reading this thread to an informed (and also not so informed - you will have to do some intelligent filtering) discussion of the safety of vaping coils. I have accomplished that objective, so I'll take my leave.

Vape safe, everyone.

Reactions: rockstarr

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
thank you again for your answer Magaro. But it seems that you took only one phrase of my whole previous post to base your next post. THIS is the dangerous attitude, not mine my friend :)

And if you want me to analyze you further my exact phrase "Be sure that I always know what I am speaking off", its a reality. Simply because I never say nonsense and I always do my homework before making a statement. So please read again my post and be sure that you will be surprised about the things you will find out without any help from any expert (If you still think that I am not an expert)

I would like you to read first the whole GG thread (as you did with the thread you propose to us to read) and then if you still disagree or have questions, we can open any kind of discussion you like

Vape SAFE to you too buddy :)

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Simply because I never say nonsense and I always do my homework before make a statement
So you can point us at a study in which in the vapor produced by coils that have and have not been dry burned was analyzed for metals (or metallic compounds)? Or a study in which the the vapor produced by Kanthal, nickel, and titanium coils was analyzed analyzed for metals (or metallic compounds)?

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
Ros, you too think like a robot now.

I really want you guys to be independent. You may are. But I too want you to think clever. Especially for you Ros that you come on GG forum per time to time, I am sure that you have already read the whole thread. So if you did it, why you still ask me about studies? Dont you still see the obvious?

Ok, I gave a lot of examples on this thread but let me give you another one. I want you to do this:

Take a casserole made by nickel or kanthal and dry burn it until it comes red hot. You have to know that you just changed the metal structure and you also oxidised it. Then put fresh water and some eucalyptus inside and boil the mixture. Then put your head near the fumes and take deep breaths. That way, your nose will be free but......

While the water boils, it will soon become black because the oxides of the metal will unstuck from it and they will come to your mouth via the small explotions of the boiling water. Will you ever do that to yourself or you would took a clean and nice SS casserole and do the above procedure?

About the "cleaning" via burning. Do you really think that a casserole that you were boiling VG yesterday, gets cleaned if you dry burn it? What will happen is that the remained VG will not become vapor as usual but it will get burned. What remains from a burn procedure is always bad for our health. ALWAYS. We must never eat or inhale the components that are produced after a burning procedure

We are serious on WHERE we cook our meal 3 times per day and we are not serious on WHERE we inhale VG 10 hours per day, especially when human inhaling system is much more sensitive than our digestive system?

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
Now, about metals Ros:

Metals are very strong materials and they dont "feel" the heat below a specific point. We vape at temperatures where metals dont "feel" anything. So vaping up to 280 Celsius degrees, its more than safe. But not all metals are safe!

Now, why we must not use other materials than Titanium or maybe SS on cooking (where we apply heat?) I can still answer to you but the answer is in front of your eyes. I am sure you know it!

ps...... Even when we DONT apply heat on a metallic structure, we humans still need metals like SS or titanium. And you know the answer about this too

Reactions: Gwido67

soulseek

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
London, UK
Imeo, no disrespect but I thought you sold insurance? If so, your an engineer that sells insurance?
I do find your comment quite disrespectful; why does it matter if he worked with insurance at some point in time? In that respect, what does this say about the e-cig landscape? Some guy who "sold insurance" has been one of the most influential and innovative manufacturers of mech mods and atomisers.

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
Yes, rock, I sold insurance. Its because engineers dont get paid well in Greece.

No disrespect too and maybe I miss your point but what that has to do with titanium wires or with my deep knowledge about engineering and metals? They are totally different things lol

You know that here on GG forum you will take the most serious answers, something you cant have on the most of the other forums. So please put your question and I will be glad to answer to you.

And please come more often on GG forum. That way you can transfer our knowledge outside GG forum too for a better vaping world :)

Reactions: NandyDC

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Well, it's been quite a while since I've posted in a GG sub-forum, but I have been popping in occasionally to see how things are progressing with temperature control technology here. TC is a nice feature to have if you ever get dry hits and I've had a couple of mods with TC for a little while now.

I started out using Ni wire but quickly switched to Ti because it's significantly harder and so easier to work with. I had been and still do dry burn Kanthal, but I do it 'gently', meaning I stop when the wire just starts to glow red. I learned to do that with Kanthal and SS wicks in Genisis attys because I thought that was the safer way to go with that system.

After reading the last couple of pages in this thread I wanted to share a bit of my experience with Ti wire in TC mods with anyone who might feel that dry burning is important to them. I'm finding that if I take out the wick and turn up the temperature to around 450 deg F to start with, it is pretty easy to keep sections of the wire from overheating (glowing). After I get some of the gunk off the wire I increase the temperature and continue the process.

Time is an important factor here. Spend a longer time at that 450 deg F setpoint and it seems to me that is equivalent to less time at higher temperature. I've found I can successfully 'dry burn' my Ti wire this way and not have it get so hot that it glows, with around 750 deg F as my estimated maximum actual temperature that my wire reaches with my devices. Picking away at the gunk is important in this process of course, but I've been doing that with my Kanthal coils too to keep the temps down so I am used to that.

And that's all I've got folks. Best of luck with it everyone :)

Reactions: monkkx
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread