Status
Not open for further replies.

Phone Guy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2013
Arlington, Texas - USA
Well done Laurie. I did one of those Flasks but with a dna20 because that was all I had at the time of "surgery". I also did a waidea flask to dna40.... Not sure which was easier? They are made a little different (waidea vs infinite). And each has its own set of pros and cons. But the end result is, in my opinion, a gorgeous mod that performs exactly as it should (ie: as good as the "authentic") for about a third the price. [emoji106]

Nice little write up too.

Phone Guy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2013
Arlington, Texas - USA
Silly question, I have a Futura mod by next gen. It has a press fit top cap. I actually have 3 of these mods... I managed to get 1 press fit cap off but severely scarred it in the process :( I used a 22mm socket and brute force rocking the top cap back and forth until it loosened and came out, but the socket really "bit" into the metal and made some ugly deep marks...

I believe the cap might be secured with a tiny bit of silicone in place on the bottom too (but not 100% positive there)...

Can you modders and builders offer me any advice on removing the top cap without damaging it cosmetically? I'm a little out of my element here.

This is what the mod looks like. (this is not mine, but the top cap is the same, this is a Google Image picture)

7mFChKT.jpg

BlueridgeDog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2014
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
I keep a pair of "Cannon Plug Pliers" around for just such an occasion.

I have also had success with painter's tape as a scuff layer then using normal press fit tools. That said, I have little patience for press fit crap (other than bearings) as it is usually indicative of disposable junk.

Reactions: awsum140

Cotay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
Central Coast California
I am in the process of designing five different mods right now, including two wood mods, two plastic mods from Shapeways, and this stainless steel mod printed at Shapeways. I had originally wanted this in the matte black steel, but due to printing variations and a few small design issues I've had to file the steel box and marred the finish in some places. My intent now is once I get the fitting as I like it, I'm going to Cerakote the whole thing. The 510 is a 14mm Varitube and I'm using a large screen DNA40 for this one.

Here are overall pics of the front and back views:

20150530_094434.jpg

20150530_094456.jpg

This is the front plate (secures with friction and is a very tight fit...I'm still making adjustments to the fit):
20150530_094124.jpg

This is the back plate:
20150530_094228.jpg

This is a through view with the 18650 battery tray installed:
20150530_094334.jpg

Here is a sample of what the buttons will look like (I've ordered a different set for this mod...these are going in a different mod):
20150520_125743.jpg

Last edited:

Cotay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
Central Coast California
And here is another one I'm doing with a faceplate designed by jonniemac on Shapeways. I had ordered parts for another mod from him before I got into designing my own prints and that didn't turn out like I'd hoped (my fault...not his). In order to salvage the majority of those parts, I created this box with a built in 18650 tray. I am using a small screen DNA40 for this one and a flat low-profile 22mm Varitube 510 for this one. I'm printing it in Black Strong and Flexible with the intent of having it coated as well. The intent is to glue the jonniemac faceplate onto the front.

Here is the back view of the box (the 18650 battery tray is integrated into the back):

jmac_box_back_view.png

EDIT: For some reason the other pics won't upload. I'll try that again.

Last edited:

Cotay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
Central Coast California
Here is one more that's in process. This will be another large screen DNA40, dual 18650, black low-profile Fat Daddy 510. I had intended this to be made with a flush mount faceplate and the hole came out perfect...then I messed up the faceplate. Since I had an extra steel faceplate of my own design (same as on the steel mod I'm making), I decided to modify this for the top mount plate.

20150530_120053.jpg

Front on view:

20150530_122059.jpg

Last edited:

BlueridgeDog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2014
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
Here is one more that's in process.

20150530_120053.jpg

Very clean...what is the schematic layout of the front bezel you have designed...i.e. are those holes for onboard button use or off-board? I have tried custom printing buttons, but the process was so iterative to get things right that I gave up.

Last edited:

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Here is one more that's in process. This will be another large screen DNA40, dual 18650, black low-profile Fat Daddy 510. I had intended this to be made with a flush mount faceplate and the hole came out perfect...then I messed up the faceplate. Since I had an extra steel faceplate of my own design (same as on the steel mod I'm making), I decided to modify this for the top mount plate.

20150530_120053.jpg

Front on view:

20150530_122059.jpg

Really nice craftsman ship. Well done!

Sniffle

Co-op Junkie
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2011
Moody, Alabama
so...

even evolv 500mah chargers can catastrophically fail occasionally...

no one was hurt... hell no one even knew until i was wondering why it wasnt charging and did the sniff test and smelled burnt electronics... sigh...

I think the charger was worn out and i should have been more proactive about replacing it... everything still fits together properly and even the mount holes for the charger are still there... so it's going to get a new charger... and probably a new set of batteries... i am not sure if they vented... and back to the races it goes...

I'll post pics a little later(i'mwaiting on them to upload to photobucket so i can link them).. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread