Status
Not open for further replies.

Rsunderl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 4, 2014
Silver Spring, MD, USA
This is the item that I won in the 15 Millionth Post contest. I was way down in the list of runner-ups, and this was my second choice, so I was really surprised and pleased when I found out that it was what was being shipped. :)

Here's the link to it on the CCVapes website: Crystal Canyon Vapes: Mutation

As the title clearly states, this is a clone, not an original. I own both clones and originals and have had quality items with both and not-so good items with both. I just mention it, so that you know I'm reviewing a clone.

OK - on to the review - I'll get the bad out of the way first, then go to the good, and finally my conclusions.

The Bad:
  • The machining on this item left rough edges in several places. This is minor, since a little bit of work with some sandpaper or a fine file will take care of it
  • After taking off the airflow ring, it was obvious that the rough edges had mutilated the upper o-ring
  • The hole in the center post seems to have been drilled just a bit too low, since the screw doesn’t completely reach the bottom of the hole when screwed all the way down. This can also be fixed by grinding or filing down the top of the center post.
The Good:
  • The cooling fins on the top cap are very deep and really effective at cooling the top of the atomizer. There is a noticeable difference in temperature at the fins as opposed to the lower body of the atty when vaping.
  • It is extremely easy to set up coils on this atty. The post holes are large, well-aligned and well off the bottom of the deck.
  • The juice well is fairly deep. I have put up to 15 drops in the atty while vaping with absolutely no leaking. I don’t know how many will make it leak, because I haven’t reached enough drops to cause leaking yet – LOL.
  • The airflow is incredibly adjustable. Completely open, it’s like breathing, and you can close it down as tight as you want.
    Note: The pattern of holes is repeated on both sides, and there doesn’t seem to be an easy way to block off one side, so this is primarily a dual-coil atty.
  • At my (newly-found favorite) airflow setting of 3 holes open on each side, the vapor production and flavor intensity outperforms my former favorites – the Veritas and the Marquis. When I first tried it at this setting, I had an “OMG” reaction to the amount of vapor and the intensity of flavor produced.
  • The finish on the outside is flawless – right down to the polished ring just around the drip tip which adds a touch of style.
  • It comes with three extra post screws, three o-rings, 2 pre-wicked coils, and a small screwdriver
Conclusions:
After three days of vaping on this atty, it has become my favorite one by far. Mostly because of the ease of building on it, the vapor production and the flavor it puts out. I would definitely recommend this unit to anyone looking for a good balance between clouds and flavor.

Re: CCVapes: I got an email from them when they shipped the unit, which included the tracking number. Seven days later, it arrived in my mailbox. This is not CCV’s fault, but USPS. USPS picked it up the same day that CCV sent the email. Here’s the jist of the USPS trip:
  • Three days to get from Queen Creek, AZ to Des Moines, IA
  • Four days to get from Des Moines, IA to my local post office
  • Three hours and four minutes to be delivered to my mailbox
The above information is all from the USPS tracking site.
I really appreciate CCV participating in ECF’s contest and providing me wih such an excellent prize – I’ll certainly be using it a lot and recommending it (and CCV) to others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread