TSA and the Ecig FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAmazingDave

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2014
San Jose, California, United States
Been through security twice in the past week.

I put my VTR securely in its flight case and packed it in the checked bag. No issue.

I had my liquids, toppers, and my oils in my carry-on laptop bag. My eGo with an iClear passed through the xray in a tray with my keys and such. No problem. The liquids in 15mL glass dripper bottles and oils were not hidden in my bag, and passed through both checkpoints without incident. As requested, I removed my laptop and put it in its own tray to avoid any suspicion.

My watch was stolen in Vegas yesterday, though. :( Glad they only grabbed that and not my tablet, lappy, or other personal items.

TheAmazingDave

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2014
San Jose, California, United States
Thanks Dave. Sorryto hear about the watch. I assume it was in a checked bag?
Negative, it was in a tray to be x-rayed with my carry-on. It looked much fancier than it was, so whoever swooped it probably thought they'd be able to make a quick buck. All of my checked bags passed through without inspection.

Casio G-Shock MTG-930da. Not replaceable, as it's discontinued. :(

pdxjlb

Oct 19, 2014
Pacific Northwest
An UPDATE TODAY NOV. 7 2014 after speaking with a TSA employee, who actually vapes herself, she sent me an email about specifics on batteries and E-cigs, this is a direct copy and paste from part of the email:

E-cigarettes and their components, such as the mouthpiece, heating element, and power supply, are not on TSA’s prohibited items list and generally are permitted through the screening checkpoint after proper security screening.

It is important to note, however, that regardless of whether an item is on the prohibited or permitted items list, Transportation Security Officers (TSOs) have discretion to prohibit an individual from carrying an item through the screening checkpoint or onboard an aircraft if the item poses a security threat. Therefore, TSOs make the final decision on whether to permit certain items into the sterile areas of the airport. In addition, the prohibited and permitted items list is not intended to be all-inclusive; TSA reviews these lists periodically, and changes are announced and posted as necessary.

The liquid content of e-cigarettes and refills is also generally permitted through TSA security checkpoints if it is compliant with 3-1-1 rules. Current TSA policy allows passengers to carry liquids, gels, and aerosols through the security checkpoint in their carry-on property in containers of 3.4 ounces or smaller. At the screening checkpoint, each passenger is asked to remove his or her quart-size bag of liquids, gels, and aerosols and place it on the conveyor belt for proper security screening. For more information about TSA’s 3-1-1 policy, please see http: Transportation Security Administration 311 index.shtm.

Passengers wishing to use e-cigarettes on commercial aircraft are encouraged to contact their airlines—TSA does not regulate the use of e-cigarettes in aircraft cabins.

We encourage all travelers to familiarize themselves with TSA Travel Tips prior to their trip. Our Web site, Transportation Security Administration, has information about prohibited and permitted items, the screening process and procedures, and guidance for special considerations that may assist in preparing for air travel. Travelers can go directly to these tips at http: Transportation Security Administration traveler-information .

Passengers may carry most consumer batteries and personal battery-powered devices through security screening checkpoints and on board commercial aircraft. Spare batteries placed in a passenger’s carry-on baggage must be protected from damage and short circuit, and battery-powered devices should be protected from accidental activation.

When intended for personal use, there is generally no restriction on the number of spare batteries allowed in carry-on baggage. This applies to cell phone batteries, hearing-aid button cells, most standard laptop computer batteries, and AA and AAA batteries commonly available in retail stores.

Batteries allowed in carry-on baggage and in aircraft cabins include:

• Dry cell alkaline batteries (common-use AA, AAA, C, D, 9-volt, etc.).
• Dry cell rechargeable batteries, such as Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) and Nickel Cadmium (NiCad).
• Lithium ion batteries (such as rechargeable lithium and lithium polymer batteries found in cameras, cell phones, laptop computers and radio-controlled toys) with less than 8 grams of equivalent lithium content (ELC) (or 100 watt hours per battery).
• Up to two (2) larger lithium ion batteries (more than 8 grams, up to 25 grams of ELC per battery), such as batteries found in large, after-market laptop computers or used in professional audio-visual application.
• Lithium metal batteries (non-rechargeable and primary lithium batteries) generally used with cameras and other small personal electronics.

With the exception of spare (uninstalled) lithium batteries, all batteries allowed in carry-on baggage are allowed in checked baggage. Batteries in checked baggage must be installed in a device or, if uninstalled, protected from damage and short circuit. If original packaging is not available for spare batteries, passengers should insulate battery terminals from contact with metal and other batteries. Each battery should be placed in its own protective case, plastic bag, or package, or secured with tape across the battery's contacts to isolate terminals. Spare lithium batteries (both lithium metal and lithium ion/polymer) are prohibited in checked baggage. In addition, lithium ion batteries rated over 300 watt hours (25g ELC) are forbidden.

Please be advised that while TSA screens all checked baggage, airlines make the decision to remove dangerous or hazardous materials from checked bags following inspection. Therefore, we recommend that travelers contact their airline prior to their travel date to determine any additional guidelines.

For further information regarding the transport of batteries and battery-powered devices on commercial aircraft, travelers should visit the U.S. Department of Transportation’s (DOT) Web site at PHMSA - Safe Travel.

We hope this information is helpful.

TSA Contact Center

Reactions: Kemosabe

Zbeast08

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2013
Wilson, NC, USA
Thank you for the info. I just traveled from RDU to PHL last week and packed a toiletry bag full of Vape gear....batteries,juice,attys,mods,screwdriver set, etc. and was very nervous about security but no questions, no problems and no issues!! Of course, all my batteries were in cases and not touching metal objects or each other...I learned that from Baditude!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So now I'm about to ask the ultimate question. I travel about 45 weeks a year and for extended periods of time, so I travel heavy with the vape juice and equipment. I have a pretty custom setup and would like to know where this would stand with TSA. there is 17 15 mill bottles and 13 nautlis tanks along with batteries and mods. Total juice is about 7.5 oz. but each container is well below the allowable limit. I have been checking it in my large suitcase but don't like it getting beat around by the baggage handling gorillas. I have ask a few TSA officers at different airports and no one could give me a definitive answer. Just looking for some advise on whether it is worth a shoot or would it cause ore issues than its worth? Is there any blessing I could get from TSA?

pics are as follows

securedownload 16.jpg securedownload 17.jpg securedownload.jpg

Reactions: redrebel821

Scottitude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2010
Metro Detroit
scottitude.net
The post from pdxjb above (post #368) is about the best, most current summary I've seen.

Any problem you run into carrying on your vape kit would most assuredly be the juice bottles, and perhaps the tanks, if they are filled.

All liquids must comply with the TAS's "3-1-1" rule and while TSA agents often have different interpretations of their own rules, any random agent could easily consider the filled tanks as liquids.

3-1-1 for carry-ons. Liquids, gels, aerosols, creams and pastes must be 3.4 ounces (100ml) or less per container; must be in 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; 1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin. The bag limits the total liquid volume each traveler can bring.

Source

I always put juice bottles and filled tanks in my zip-lock baggie, just in case. If they won't fit, I leave them at home.

If it were me, I'd take less gear to ensure the liquids fit the baggie and if I really had to have 17 bottles and 13 tanks, I'd ship them to my destination (and then home) or pack them in a checked bag.

This is based on my TSA experiences. Your mileage may vary.

Good luck!

ETA:
By the way, that's a great kit you've put together!

Last edited:

lovemytank

Jun 9, 2015
Right Here
3 mods, 4 tanks, 1,000,000,000 ml of liquid and 8x 18650s in my backpack and the old guy watching the xray screen says hmmmm much be a vaper. I was amazed! I travel all over the US at least 2x per month and not once even asked a single question. I also ghost vaped till I tried with my sigelei 150w at 70 watts. That was an interesting moment of terror after exhaling through my shirt. I learned a teeshirt wont mask a huge cloud too well ;)

Reactions: redrebel821

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
"Paradox", French West Indies
Not sure if this thread is alive and kicking exactly but for those that may stumble upon it I would just like to update a recent change in policy concerning the transport of lithium ion cell. Apparently there have recently been 2 small fires resulting from mods (probably mechanicals) in checked luggage; one in a cargo hold of a plane and the other in a checked luggage storage area at an airport.

As a result of which, FAA (since 5th March 2015) no longer allows these sorts of battery's (lithium Ion) to be placed in checked luggage.

My thanks to TFL for this link he found.

https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/avi...afety/safo/all_safos/media/2015/SAFO15003.pdf

Anybody planning to travel to Bermuda should be aware that e liquids are not permitted through their borders or on planes since the Government regulates nic liquid as a schedule 3 drug which requires a Doctor's prescription!

Customs seize shocked smoker's e-cigarette | The Royal Gazette:Bermuda News

Some small Caribbean based Airlines and local authorities have taken this a step further and confiscated 2 of my mods when returning to St Martin from the BVI. Here is a link to that thread:

iPV mini 2 and MVP siezed by Custom's in BVI | Page 3 | E-Cigarette Forum

Reactions: N2rock

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
"Paradox", French West Indies
I note that while travelling within the borders of the USA doesn't appear to be problematic at all, many of the visitors to Caribbean Islands are US residents. There will be no issue until you leave to go back home. It may be worthwhile to check your airlines policy as well as local airlines and Government on the island you're visiting.

In hindsight, a self stamped addressed envelope might also serve you well just in case!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread