Greasy Hair all of a sudden? Long Time Vapers/Women able to comment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShelaghDB

Mar 9, 2015
50/50 juice

Stopped smoking 13 months ago for 5-6 months
Relapsed while still vaping
Stopped, more or less 4 months ago but had a couple one day a week when meeting with friends/smokers over a 4-5 hour meeting
Stopped completely about 2 months ago and this time was pointed towards good equipment that did not leave me frustrated so no fear of smoking again, as long as I have access to e-cigarettes
BUT.

about 2 weeks ago I started noticing that my hair was getting greasy really quickly which was odd for I have always had normal to dry hair and never ever had greasy hair before.
Washed it a few times and a few days ago finally realized that it was indeed feeling greasy just 20 hours after the last shampoo.

Did a search online other day and funnily enough I found a few posts here about it from 2010 I think it might have been?
But before I found that, I found a whole slew of woman from all backgrounds complaining in one medical forum of waking up one day, with greasy hair.
I didnt really pay attention to mine at first thinking my hair was reacting to a long term shampoo and needed changing, until I realised that the new shampoo wasnt helping.

Much in that web page talked of them trying everything and nothing worked until one discovered a secret, using Sauve Clairifying Shampoo followed by using 3 capfuls of the classic Listerine in the Brown bottle for 1 or 2 days and then it was gone.

Well they dont make that Sauve anymore. The new one isnt the same as the old and 4x the price IF you can find it, which I wasnt able but knew it had changed anyhow. The only place i could find a clairfying shampoo was at Walmart so who knows if it really works or not but 2 days in a row I have used it twice along with the Listerine but again when I brush out the wet hair, I can tell 2 particulr areas are not 100% clean and still feel somewhat greasy to me.
I dont know why it was happening to those woman but there were a LOT of them and none identified as being a Vaper so I dont know the reasons for that grease.

BUT a second search led me back to this exact forum from a thread in 2010 where several woman were also complaining of it.
No one seemed to know IF it was a result of quitting and toxins coming out of your body trough ones hair OR if it was a sign of dehydration.
But apparently when a body dehydrates, it can over compensate by creating grease to I suppose, make up for the new found dryness/dehydration.

So obviously I am drinking more water and feel like a fish at the moment BUT WHAT I WANT TO KNOW is this, are there any of those woman here from 2010 that can confirm this actually goes away or did, or did they figure out for sure what it was?
I assume it must affect men as well but don't recall offhand noticing any men complaining about it?

So if only woman, why? Potential hormone imbalance from cigarette cessation?
Or maybe first sign of impending early menopause/hormones?
Since I did not attend medical school, I am without an answer but just want to know IF this horrible greasy hair eventually leaves?
What happened to the Vapers whose hair became greasy?

* In my case I have not noticed any side effects to either PGVG so I doubt its that.
I do however admit that I do not drink the right amount of water as some do and have to force it upon myself but thought i was doing better :(

So want to hopefully find out what the cure was for the woman of 2010? And/or any males this happened to?

T.I.A.

ShelaghDB

Mar 9, 2015
I made a mistake putting this in the Lounge. It should have gone in the Vape forum, somewhere..

No, this is something that has been spoken of here frequently albeit, in 2010. My hair has always been very clean, well cut and taken care of. Its not like me to have dirty/greasy hair, not even when I smoked heavily.

I believe it might be related to dehydration. I am trying triple my water intake, but this is why I wanted to find out if earlier members that had his problem, can tell me HOW it went away and how long it lasted, etc.
Its also for some, a greasy skin feel to the face.
BUT I understand as the last link will show, that this is also somethign happening to many woman that dont identify as Vapers.

Guess I am goign to have to PM any of the older Vapers that spoke of this earlier for I dont believe this could be detox as I really quit a year ago but as stated had a few here and there but never on a regular basis BUT, and this may sound crazy, but I sit and work at home all day, on a 27" iMac and I have even wondered it by any chance I am blowing the Vapor at the monitor and its bouncing back and hitting me :) Yeah, I know, sounds crazy but am entertaining all possibilities :)

Just one example:

I've been vaping now for over 1 1/2 years and have had greasy hair problems from the start and still do. If I don't wash it every day it looks like I've gone a week without a bath. I've tried PG juice, and VG juice, several vendors, DIY, you name it, and I still have this problem. It seems to be a somewhat common side effect that doesn't get mentioned much here.

Here are earlier threads about it:

Oily Face | E-Cigarette Forum
does vaping cause acne issues ?? | E-Cigarette Forum

Men as well:
Why vaping makes skin more oily? | E-Cigarette Forum

Elsewhere:

Is it just me or does everything become greasy? : electronic_cigarette

let's talk about the negatives of vaping! : electronic_cigarette

Could vaping be causing my breakouts? : SkincareAddiction

Side effects from the Electronic Cigarette - Mist E Liquid Blog

In Fact, now I look, TONS of pages everywhere about it. Wonder why its not being discussed here and almost ignored, perhaps?

Google

ShelaghDB

Mar 9, 2015
Cigarette smoking inhibits and/or depresses estrogen. When you quit, your estrogen levels can increase. Is your face oily, as well? Any other hormonal complaints?

EXACTLY!!!! I have never had greasy hair or greasy skin in my life until this happened. Its my whole body but beneath my face and hair to a much lesser degree.

Its possible I am near that age where my levels could be switching although I do still...ahem (sorry guys) get my periods monthly etc.......But I am near the age where that should soon end. I am undergoing a through set of tests for everything since at the same time that i quit cigarettes, I felt it was time to actually do the right thing and get regular mammograms, test for this cancer or that cancer, blood tests, etc and so far i am fine.........BUT, the interesting thing is both my husband and I have just entered butter into our diet, something i have never in my life had much of and suddenly, having quite a bit. I didn’t think of that possibly being the reason but my husband also started to complain about greasy feeling skin four days ago, although not his hair. He hasn’t had a cigarette now in 13 months so I would think for him that would be a bit late for t these

We both began to wonder if it were the butter causing this..........At first I thought perhaps it was dehydration. My skin has always been normal to dry, but more on the dry side than normal. I have never bene one to drink the amount of water and/all liquids I should but sine I first wrote this post I have been drowning in water. Still getting the greasy hair/skin but much less now. Its closer to being normal I believe than before. Still elevated I believe which also leads me to believe it might be butter. That aside Im just having to stay on top of it, making sure I wash my face with proper astringent type soaps. But when it's not feeling greasy, it feels smooth in a way I haven't personally felt it before. Its good. Not bad. I am guessing this is skin I have normally had dehydrated all of my adult live

My friends always disliked me.lol..…and felt I was not human. I never had a pimple in my life, I never had any skin problems that I gather plague people and 1 or 2 friends have since said, welcome to the human race and that my skin finally is doing what it does with most people. I cant say. I only know what I am used to.
Anyhow, its far better but still there so either the blood tests will tell me something as everything else so far has been clear and/or the ending of butter in my diet, that will tell me if that was the problem. Around the same time I started to use butter, I also began to drink 1-2 glasses of 2% milk, albeit with a small addition of choclate syrup as I have never liked the taste of milk so this makes it bearable. I just felt as I was getting older, perhaps more milk, might not be a bad thing for bones.....Perhaps my body isn't handling this onslaught of dairy since I have never been into either product.
Or it's a combination of everything but the point is, I am dealing with it and going though tests to figure out what it is..............

BUT when I did a search in the beginning for it, "Greasy hair" I kept coming up with dozens of urls over and over and over. 1 was for early 2013 posts here by several female vapers that were complaining of the same problem. Naturally I wondered if they were onto something and it was Vape related hydration. But when I first asked here, I gathered no one wanted to associate with Vaping so I didnt bother to pursue it here. But it was woman asking all the same
Question without answers.
LOL I work daily on my computer a 27" retina iMac and I even began to wonder if my Vape mist was hitting my screen and bouncing back to my face and hair .....LMAO in re

A second set of urls led me to a forum that was pushing a particular shampoo with many stating they were using shampoos and after washing their hair still felt greasy until they used a particular shampoo. The name of which presently escapes me but its hard to find. I tried a similar one to no avail and actually had to resort to using Dishwashing detergent...lol......cuts grease in dishes so I figured it would cut the grease in my hair and it did. Obviously though thats a short term answer so yes, in the middle of sorting out what the problem is rooted in.

BUT as I stay on top of it, whilst blood tests and other tests I have to say but thanks for your answer and because you are a Vaper more so. I don’t know if you went though this yourself or saw other woman here doing so but I would have been curious to hear what happened to the other woman who complained of this same problem in 2013.

ShelaghDB

Mar 9, 2015
I have now had numerous tests. I have had a diagnosis that in itself isn't the answer but one of the side effects are that one can become dehydrated. I don't believe this is the answer. I will explain why in a moment.
Its possible that it combined with potential dehydration fro Vaping might have created the dehydration needed to become that side effect but at no time was I suggesting that Vaping itself had crated this. If so vaping itself would not be the issue but more proof that Vaping requires more water than many are aware of.

My initial reasons for asking for the woman in 2012-2014 that wrote in the threads I saw in this very forum about their own greasy hair, was to do with hoping that a couple of them, by now, would have had an answer to their own problems with it. Perhaps had they offered me the answer, I might have been able to pin point the reasons and saved myself some time.
The problem with the actual diagnosis that I was given was that my partner has also come down with this "greasy face" issue although about 2 months behind me and minus the hair. In other words, he doesn't have it as badly BUT it is there.
So I then have to once again look at butter as an issue as we both incorporated it into our diet at the same time along with milk, both of which were not part of our diets beforehand but I find it hard to believe that it could create an issue for both of us and for so little.

The other possibility is that we bo th changed juice manufacturers a few weeks before this happened to me. The manufacture is very well known and very highly thought of. I don't believe that there would be anything wrong with this persons juice but perhaps, there is an additive for flavour, or something along those lines that might effect people negatively but again IF so, I am wondering why BOTH of us have it.
He is a typical Nautilus Mini/iStick 20w vaping at about 9 watts. I am a Lemo 2, Delta ll, Kanger Sub Tank Mini, Orchid +Goliath Vaper on Sagely 100w, TC Devices type vaper who vapes at around 18-20 watts but consumed 3x the amount of juice as said partner.
Perhaps it is one flavour addition in the juice? Who knows but anything is possible.

Had those woman answered, had they found the issue, I might have saved time and ruled out certain things. That was my reason for asking. Never to imply that Vaping causes this.
But let me also suggest that we all have different vaping habits. What works for one might not work for the next and to suggest that it hasn't happened to one person in 5 years really in the long run doesn't mean much for again, we are all using different products and have different methods and styles as well as products.

But I do have to look into why we have both developed this. IF not butter than the only other similarly I can imagine is juice. Something in one juice flavour that might not be in another.
He and I have different styles and I Vape 3x the amount as he does and have 3x the amount of this as a side effect. Hence, why I must consider this at least as a possibility and try to figure out what it is if not this, something else.

Newbz

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2010
US
So I had this issue about 2 years ago. Couldn't figure out what the deal was since I'd never had it before and it came on fairly suddenly. Based on your avatar, we have similar types of hair and are about the same age. I wash my hair daily, but no matter what I tried, it had just turned into this greasy mop almost as soon as it had dried. I read an article (sorry, can't remember where) that this can be caused by a certain fungus. Gross, right? Apparently it has nothing to do with your cleanliness level as it thrives on hair shafts naturally. Anyway, I bought a shampoo and conditioner with tea tree oil as ingredients and used it for a few days. Cleared it right up and I've had no issues since. Give that a try, and make sure that your partner does too if you share a bed together. Wash your pillows and sheets so you get rid of it from your environment and with any luck, you'll be back to your regular texture in no time flat. Good luck.

Reactions: pbxbelmar

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
thyroid disease and polycystic ovary syndrome will cause that kind of greasy hair. You need a really good workup with an internist. esp. if your hormones are changing.

I WISH vaping would cause greasy hair. Mine is always dry. All my blood profiles keep coming back dehydrated, despite I am drowning myself in water since starting to vape in 2012.

ShelaghDB

Mar 9, 2015
I really don't feel like sharing my medical history but will do JUST in case someone else, like myself one day goes searching for "greasy hair" syndrome and ends up here, as I did, OR as a vaper, wonders if the glycerol, etc from vaping can partly because it. I know that I saw others as that same question.
In any event, at this point there isn't any ONE thing that points directly at it but rather a few and I suspect all together it created it.

Started having a non ending period in November and was tested for everything, polycystic ovary syndrome, cancer, etc, etc and all was clear. I will double check the polycystic syndrome for I remember the doctor looking the day i was there as they take a biopsy and she said i looked clear than but still ran tests for it.
I was kinda stumped for both hubby and I incorporated daily into our diet that we had not had before and within 2-3 months i had the greasy hair and he was dealing with greasy facial skin as if he were a teenager again. So we cut out about 75% of the dairy and it cleared up to the most part. We might have to cut it out all together. I've never been a big dairy person nor he as he had childhood allergies. So we thought we found the problem..we had many items but did OD somewhat on yoghurt.

But then, I mentioned a energy loss I had been having. Plus my food intake had increased. Something I'd never had before. I always ate like a bird and suddenly i seemed to feel as if i was 'snacking' all the time. Seems it was all hitting me at the same time and was tested and confirmed as having Type Two diabetes. I was checked for it 2 years earlier and has slightly elevated levels but nothing that was concerning. For no other reason than my doctor tests for everything and it was part of a blood test but this time I had to do a full glucose test and i had it :(
So I was put on 2 pills daily twice for Metmorphin I think its called and my energy has improved immensely and my diet but from what I understand, bearing that i am not a doctor, the two, Diabetes and Polycystic ovary syndrome are somewhat related. Although they say the ovary syndrome is fine I can see complications I have that come wit that.....on the other hand, AGING SUCKS and everything's related to something and everything :)

Newbz:
I looked up the hair problem u mentioned but was unable to see anything about it that rang true or at least tied into me, other than I do now have a bit of flaking i never had before...so going the other extreme now it seems. Not sure using Green Palmolive dishwashing liquid is great for the scalp but sure helps greasy hair become non-greasy. :)
Perhaps it might not be a bad thing for you to be tested yourself for either diabetes or at least a blood test that could show elevated levels for I would rather want to do something at that point about it than later IF possible.
(by this I wonder if something could have been done 2 years earlier)

Admittedly I have rarely seen doctors for up until now i never needed one. I was always super healthy. Or so I thought..Oh did I say aging sucks? No? Well, it does! ;(
Anyhow, I suspect the hubby does not have an ovary syndrome so still leaning towards the diary having been a problem for both of us and maybe myself more so with the Diabetes add on.

In any event I am Canadian and its much easier for us to run tests for whatever ails us then I suppose it is for Americans. Not sure how that has changed since Obama for you, but if it were me, Id at least mention the possibility to my doctor of such a test. I did not fit into what I thought would have for diabetes.
I still also think in my case, always having had a tendency towards dehydration as I am not one of these people that runs around with a bottle of water attached to my hips that I didn't hydrate as much as I should have when I started vaping either. It likely didn't help, although wouldn't hurt much, but didn't help I suspect.

Racehorse: Thanks for narrowing that down as well as you did. Not sure of the purpose of an Internist but will look it up and see. I am fortunate in having recently found a brilliant family doctor. The first one I have ever found that I trust enough to put my trust into. Have a few more tests coming up, typical ones they test for when one gets a diabetes diagnosis, etc.

Thanks!

Reactions: Katmar

darnkarma

Jul 3, 2013
Owl Hollow, NY
My hair felt heavier and more oily when I started vaping two years ago. I noticed the difference right away and there's no mistake about what's throwing the extra moisture in there. It's still behaving the same way. I had to alter the way I style it because of the way vaping weighs it down. It's not a hormone thing for me - I'm well past my estrogen-rich years. Try Suave Rain scent in place of the clarifying shampoo - I swear it's the same thing.

ShelaghDB

Mar 9, 2015
You may very well be right. I cannot be 100% sure. The greasiness I was getting was overnight and I went from full thick wavy regular to slightly dry hair to feeling and looking as if someone had taken a whole tub of margarine and smooshed it all into my hair. I tried every shampoo, I tried clarifying shampoo, and even Listerine after the shampoos, following advice but it didn't work. I finally gave up and started washing my hair in classic green dish detergent, figuring if its meant to cut grease on dishes, it's bound to cut it on my hair and it's the only thing that worked. When it finally began to clear up, I was almost scared to stop using it and as it cleared more, I guess i started drying it out too much and had what appeared to be a flaky scalp so I stopped and went to Head and Shoulders and it all stopped within a week. Head and Shoulders I had tried at first and it didn't have any effect until i had overdone the dryness :) I will look for Sauve Rain if i can find it. Interestingly enough, I found one website were pages and pages of woman were talking of waking up one morning and finding a circle of their hair acting like mine, or a patch, but never the whole head. Nothing would work for them either until one person mentioned a various Suave Clarifying shampoo, although not yours, to be followed by a rinse in Listerine, the classic flavoured mouthwash. But that particular Sauve can not be located anywhere except for one spot on the web where someones charging about $12 for it...lol..but I am guessing from your using Suave that you might have read the same article I did.... still doing lots of tests and nothing can be pointed to as a definitive answer. I can only suggest that maybe it's this, or maybe it is that, etc. But if it were vaping related at all, I know that no one would ever admit to it, except those having gone through it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread