Not open for further replies.

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
Yeah Ive found with the Derringer and Bonsai it doesnt really matter that much due to the fact you can just move the airflow and point it where the coils at. Its not like my airholes ever end up in the center once its screwed down to the atty anyways hah. It does help a little to push em in a bit though to make sure youve got room to tuck one side of the wick underneath it. I only do single coils so one side of my wick goes underneath the coil, while the other end goes between the posts and fills up the back well. I had some crazy jumping resistance the 2nd time I built the Bonsai and it turned out it was because the coil was making contact with the chamber so I forced that sucker to move and ended up destroying the coil in the process. Fun times!

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Yeah Ive found with the Derringer and Bonsai it doesnt really matter that much due to the fact you can just move the airflow and point it where the coils at. Its not like my airholes ever end up in the center once its screwed down to the atty anyways hah. It does help a little to push em in a bit though to make sure youve got room to tuck one side of the wick underneath it. I only do single coils so one side of my wick goes underneath the coil, while the other end goes between the posts and fills up the back well. I had some crazy jumping resistance the 2nd time I built the Bonsai and it turned out it was because the coil was making contact with the chamber so I forced that sucker to move and ended up destroying the coil in the process. Fun times!
I do love building on the derringer, you can place the coil anywhere and as long as you're not hanging over the inner lip you won't be touching the inner chamber ring. I really need to mod mine for bottom feed.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
When the wick is loose and not touching all the coils well, juice can pop and shoot from the coils that don't have good enough contact to the wick. Juice just hits those hot coils and zings!

Well, I just took out the old wicks and cleaned the coils. One leg broke when I snugged down the wire a bit so I re-coiled the same way as last time and put in my usual fairly tight cotton wicks. It was still really loud at first at the beginning of a drag, specially when it was cold. Maybe not quite as loud as last time but pretty close and I'm running the same 40 watts. But now it's settling down to a more normal noise level.

Looks like it stayed noisy the first time because I used less cotton like you said. Live and learn :)

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
I do love building on the derringer, you can place the coil anywhere and as long as you're not hanging over the inner lip you won't be touching the inner chamber ring. I really need to mod mine for bottom feed.

What does that require anyways?? I was looking into those Smokeless Owl and Reo clones a week or so ago but realized none of the attys I have will work without being modded.

Reactions: Lessifer

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
What does that require anyways?? I was looking into those Smokeless Owl and Reo clones a week or so ago but realized none of the attys I have will work without being modded.
I have a smokeless owl and it came with a bf atty, it's not the greatest, but it works, it doesn't drain though. I also bought a chalice iii clone, that's the one in my pic from earlier, that one squonks beautifully, but it's a very reduced chamber and not a lot of airflow, taste is fantastic though.

I haven't modded an atty yet but there's a couple ways you can do it, you can either drill a hole into the bottom pin, or cut channels into it, and then cut a fill/drain hole into the center post; or you can cut a groove into the insulator around the center pin. I don't really have the tools to try either, but I might pick up a dremel from harbor freight and play around and see if I can do it without ruining the atty.

There are a few clone bf atties available now though, the chalice and the zenith v2.5 being the most popular ATM.

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
I have a smokeless owl and it came with a bf atty, it's not the greatest, but it works, it doesn't drain though. I also bought a chalice iii clone, that's the one in my pic from earlier, that one squonks beautifully, but it's a very reduced chamber and not a lot of airflow, taste is fantastic though.

I haven't modded an atty yet but there's a couple ways you can do it, you can either drill a hole into the bottom pin, or cut channels into it, and then cut a fill/drain hole into the center post; or you can cut a groove into the insulator around the center pin. I don't really have the tools to try either, but I might pick up a dremel from harbor freight and play around and see if I can do it without ruining the atty.

There are a few clone bf atties available now though, the chalice and the zenith v2.5 being the most popular ATM.

Ahh so it really does go through the center pin?? I gotta go look at the insides of a Reo now. This baffles me how they do this because the center pin also happens to be the positive battery connection..

Reactions: Ryedan

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
Sometimes I tootle puff, sometimes I blume plume :p
But normally I'm somewhere in the middle.....apparently that's mod womping now?
Anyone else think of star wars when they hear that? Womp rats.....hmmm, that could be the name of a mod wompers gang :p.
Their logo could be a rat holding a box mod
Sent with one hand, the other is busy vaping.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Sometimes I tootle puff, sometimes I blume plume :p
But normally I'm somewhere in the middle.....apparently that's mod womping now?
Anyone else think of star wars when they hear that? Womp rats.....hmmm, that could be the name of a mod wompers gang :p.
Their logo could be a rat holding a box mod
Sent with one hand, the other is busy vaping.
USMC you are always welcome here. We modwompers are the misfits, we don't fit the stereotypes :) or we travel through them with ease.
Also, the womp rats is an awesome name.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Ahh so it really does go through the center pin?? I gotta go look at the insides of a Reo now. This baffles me how they do this because the center pin also happens to be the positive battery connection..
In a REO there is a brass or gold plated rhodium(?) bar that connects the 510 to where it would contact the battery and the mod itself is the negative, in the smokeless owl there's a wired connection for both the positive and negative connections so it's technically an unregulated mod, not a mech.

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
In a REO there is a brass or gold plated rhodium(?) bar that connects the 510 to where it would contact the battery and the mod itself is the negative, in the smokeless owl there's a wired connection for both the positive and negative connections so it's technically an unregulated mod, not a mech.

Still baffles me haha. Tried looking up internals on Google but apparently that whole section of the mod has a cover on it and nobody had a picture of one with it off so all I could see was the spot where the bottle connects to it, but not how the connector goes to the 510 and how they still managed to connect to the 510 without getting juice everywhere.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Still baffles me haha. Tried looking up internals on Google but apparently that whole section of the mod has a cover on it and nobody had a picture of one with it off so all I could see was the spot where the bottle connects to it, but not how the connector goes to the 510 and how they still managed to connect to the 510 without getting juice everywhere.
In the reo there's a metal tube extending down from the positive 510, I'm not sure exactly how they're connected, but you can kind of see it here: Modded Reo Grand Beryllium Copper, Voltage drop majorly solved

ETA: I think the 510/tube is the only part in the REO that is not user replaceable

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
In the reo there's a metal tube extending down from the positive 510, I'm not sure exactly how they're connected, but you can kind of see it here: Modded Reo Grand Beryllium Copper, Voltage drop majorly solved

ETA: I think the 510/tube is the only part in the REO that is not user replaceable

AHA Ok now that makes perfect sense!! For whatever reason I was trying to picture that same type of connection directly from the bottom of the atty and how it would connect without ridiculously backing out the 510 pin.. Stupid me, a Reo isnt a hybrid mod, its got a regular old 510 connector haha. Thanks for that now I can sleep at night again! :D

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Independence, Louisiana, United States
I started with wrapping coils on a screw, so spaced; then switched to a nail, less spaced; then tightly wrapped micro coils; now micros but I don't put as much effort into getting them as tight and neat as possible, mostly because I'm lazy. That's over two years.

I am just shy of a year. Last year a doctor told me if I wanted an operation I had to quit smoking. His policy is he will not operate on a smoker. So on my way to work I seen this pack that had an EGO batt with a CE4 at a gas station, bought it and within 4 days I was no longer a smoker. Next thing I knew I was rebuilding the coils on those CE4's. When I moved up to CE5's and kanger Protanks I rebuilt those itty bitty coils also. I still rebuild them for friends and family. I love the RBA deck on the Kanger sub tank mini's. Plenty of room for a nice tight coil, except now with temp coil it has to be a nicely spaced coil....sigh. Every Youtube video and every ECF post from those I respect always preached good tight neat coils and a spaced coil just goes against the grain for me but I will conform erm I mean adapt lol

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
I am just shy of a year. Last year a doctor told me if I wanted an operation I had to quit smoking. His policy is he will not operate on a smoker. So on my way to work I seen this pack that had an EGO batt with a CE4 at a gas station, bought it and within 4 days I was no longer a smoker. Next thing I knew I was rebuilding the coils on those CE4's. When I moved up to CE5's and kanger Protanks I rebuilt those itty bitty coils also. I still rebuild them for friends and family. I love the RBA deck on the Kanger sub tank mini's. Plenty of room for a nice tight coil, except now with temp coil it has to be a nicely spaced coil....sigh. Every Youtube video and every ECF post from those I respect always preached good tight neat coils and a spaced coil just goes against the grain for me but I will conform erm I mean adapt lol

I prolly would have just found another doctor....

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
I prolly would have just found another doctor....
yeah, I've had several major surgeries and every doc told me that smoking would slow healing... yet none of them insisted I quit. They just politely nudged. I smoked up until parking the car at the hospital. And I healed just fine from all of the surgeries. I did get a nasty hospital-acquired infection from the last one, but that had nothing to do with smoking.

Panorama911

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2012
Kansas
Surgeons and Anesthesiologists will suggest not smoking every time and for good reason. Some will just push the issue harder than others. But they do have your life in their hands once you go under and smoking can lead to complications during and after surgery. Cannot criticize them for being over zealous about ones well being. That said, if it is a life threatening situation they will perform the procedure but if not, many will opt to put it off until the smoking ceases.

Malpractice suits are another reason they opt out. They are just trying to reduce the risks from smoking.

Panorama911

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2012
Kansas
Thankfully I've never been denied surgery for being a smoker. Many have made me have a lung x ray first though.

My coils aren't pretty, but its the wicking that's important :)
Thankfully I have never had surgery and you DO NOT want to see my coils! psycho_1.jpg .....but they work surprisingly.:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread