Status
Not open for further replies.

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Independence, Louisiana, United States
Got a new bell cap from a local B&M. It's fantastic so far. Refreshes the look. Anyone knows if the new RBAs are sold separately?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

The subox rba head which looks like it will work in the Subtank mini is out there. From the reviews on them they are the same. I ordered a set of 5 from Ebay but will be a while before they come. Hong Kong had them.

Reactions: ahmadmfz

IMoL

Verified Member
Jan 8, 2014
Sweden and UK
Anyone else finding that larger diameter coils work better in the STM RBA when using NI200 for TC?

I had been happily using 2.5mm ID coils with Kanthal on my (modified - enlarged juice channels) RBA deck and it was working fine. I just started experimenting with TC and find that it works much better with coils with an ID of 3.5mm. I am also using way more cotton than I would normally, not even clearing the top of the juice channels and this thing is wicking like a champ (Japanese cotton).

Just an observation, it's working great :)

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Im building 3 mm coils of 8 wraps with 26 awg Ni200 wire and having no problems at all. Ohming out at .05 to .06 and firing fine under temp control. Vaping it at 450 F with Rayon. The Evic VT I ordered arrived yesterday so all three of my subtank mini's are being vaped on temp control.

Reactions: darksiders
I'm (mostly) off the OCC coils in my Subtanks now that I can build good coils and wicks. The only issue I'm having is that my vape with the RBA is kind of gurgling and "wet". Moist if you will. It's not bad but I would prefer it to be more dry.

I keep jamming more wick in there, it seems to help some but I'm still not there. Any other ideas?

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
I'm (mostly) off the OCC coils in my Subtanks now that I can build good coils and wicks. The only issue I'm having is that my vape with the RBA is kind of gurgling and "wet". Moist if you will. It's not bad but I would prefer it to be more dry.

I keep jamming more wick in there, it seems to help some but I'm still not there. Any other ideas?

Did you mod your RBA deck like some of us did with holes and dremeling the slots? And what PG/VG juice you using?

Im building 3 mm coils on my deck and am using rayon wicks. I kinda was running into the problem that I wasnt getting enough juice and had to work on the wick to get it right. At the moment I am trimming my wick just past the edge of the RBA base, then I hold both ends of the wick up while I screw the case on, then tuck the wicking down on the sides. juice it up and put the chimney cap on it. It seems to be working fine this way with 75/25 VG/PG juice at the moment. Make sure your wick is enough where it is snug in the coils but loose enough to slided sideways with just a little force. Hope this helps.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Did you mod your RBA deck like some of us did with holes and dremeling the slots? And what PG/VG juice you using?

Im building 3 mm coils on my deck and am using rayon wicks. I kinda was running into the problem that I wasnt getting enough juice and had to work on the wick to get it right. At the moment I am trimming my wick just past the edge of the RBA base, then I hold both ends of the wick up while I screw the case on, then tuck the wicking down on the sides. juice it up and put the chimney cap on it. It seems to be working fine this way with 75/25 VG/PG juice at the moment. Make sure your wick is enough where it is snug in the coils but loose enough to slided sideways with just a little force. Hope this helps.
Mtl or lung hitting? What wattage and afc setting? Trying to get some perspective chopdoc.

Reactions: vjdossey

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Mtl or lung hitting? What wattage and afc setting? Trying to get some perspective chopdoc.
Thats the funny thing about the STM. I always been a MTL person. Even during the 40 years I smoked but the STM just demands lung hits and its so natural on it, it is like I been doing it forever. Using Kanthal wire I was vaping at 20 watts and the AFC stays wide open. Now I am using temp control with it set at 450 - 500 F. My Evic VT is showing I am averaging 20 watts.

Reactions: cigatron

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Thats the funny thing about the STM. I always been a MTL person. Even during the 40 years I smoked but the STM just demands lung hits and its so natural on it, it is like I been doing it forever. Using Kanthal wire I was vaping at 20 watts and the AFC stays wide open. Now I am using temp control with it set at 450 - 500 F. My Evic VT is showing I am averaging 20 watts.

Thanks, I'm lung hitting on the middle afc setting at 30w with kanthal. Much warmer vape than yours for sure but it seems to produce the best flavor there. Very dense vapor production. On the evic I use the same afc setting with preheat set to 41w and temps ranging from 480 to 560 depending on vg ratio. Temp control with Ti on the STm is stellar. As close to dripper flavor as I've ever tasted.

aldenf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2014
NYC, NJ, USA
Thanks, I'm lung hitting on the middle afc setting at 30w with kanthal. Much warmer vape than yours for sure but it seems to produce the best flavor there. Very dense vapor production. On the evic I use the same afc setting with preheat set to 41w and temps ranging from 480 to 560 depending on vg ratio. Temp control with Ti on the STm is stellar. As close to dripper flavor as I've ever tasted.

Do you raise temp along with VG%?

vincom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Philippines
my stminis and istick 30w, all four bought in feb, vape about 20-30mls/day, all still working as new.
i use the long tip as im lazy, less work reaching my lips.
i accidently unscrewed off the afc ring on the black stmini, worked great so i kept it off.

stmini_twins1.jpg

Reactions: Mowgli

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Do you raise temp along with VG%?

I mix my own and been keeping my ratio at 75/25 VG/PG. Depending on how well the wick is feeding determines the temp setting for me. I am still in the learning curve for the best Ni200 coil builds. Just made a 5 wrap 26 AWG Ni200 coil and had to turn the temp down to 370 to get an enjoyable vape from it. Was doing 8 to 10 wraps with the same wire and the vape was too cool even at 450. Seems with temp control less is more.

Reactions: aldenf

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
my stminis and istick 30w, all four bought in feb, vape about 20-30mls/day, all still working as new.
i use the long tip as im lazy, less work reaching my lips.
i accidently unscrewed off the afc ring on the black stmini, worked great so i kept it off.

stmini_twins1.jpg

That's one way to get more airflow :thumb:

Too airy or just right?

jlmotox

May 23, 2014
So Cal

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Had a problem with one of my STM's. Was getting real cool vapes unless i really cranked the temp up and then the mouth piece would get way hotter than I could vape on. I rebuilt the coil thinking that was the problem and it worked well for a couple hours and then back to cool vapes again. My Evic VT showed it was vaping at 1 watt and lower. I took the STM and put it on an IPV4 and checked the resistance on it. The .06 ohm coil was reading .4 and jumping to .8 ohms. Took it apart again and the bottom pin was finger tight but thats it so I put a drill bit thru this one and gave it a bit of torque. Put it back together and checked it and it is back to .06ohms. Thats twice on two seperate STM's that this has happened to me so yall might wanna check your RBA deck's bottom pin and apply a little torque to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread