TC why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vapenstein

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
I vape on two Cthulhu tanks, running dual builds usually between 0.26-0.30 ohm. Usually somewhere between 35w-45w depending on what gauge wire and/or twisted I used in the build. I get great flavor, a nice warm vape, the Cthulhus wick great, and I never, ever get a dry hit. Throwing a new build in only takes a few minutes, and the custards I normally vape allow me to go as long as 2 weeks before a new build is necessary.

For me nickel is a pain to work with, I found the flavor not as good as I get with kanthal, and the vape wasn't as warm as I like. So I do not get it. I know a lot of you think TC is an evolutionary step forward in vaping. Why? What is it about TC you like? From where I sit it's all downside. Is there anyone else out there like me, who tried TC vaping and went back to kanthal? Just curious about these questions.

chav

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2014
Virginia
I bounce between the two, I would agree that you get different flavor from kanthal, but I can also get pretty warm vape from my TC mod if I crank up the temp. I think nickel is a little harder to build on, but it just takes practice to get used to. There's always a bit of a learning curve in my opinion, I remember how awful I was with my first kanthal builds, but practice makes perfect.

Reactions: jmercury1

m00shie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2015
Malaysia
May I know which TC mod you have tested and what wattage/joules, temperature and resistance you have set. This would give more info on why you are not getting warm vapes.

Basically, TC mod provides a linear consistency of vape from the time you press the fire button until you release it. I can drag for 10 seconds and have the same vape feel and flavor. Also, if set correctly, you will not get burnt or dry hits which does help greatly on the health portion.

I do agree that nickel is a PITA to build initially but after awhile, it's no longer an issue. Besides, I love challenges. ...lol

Reactions: ddarlington24

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    Ok, from a newbies perspective (I have two different TC mods on the way so have not actually used TC as of yet) the selling point was no burnt cotton.

I use high-100% VG and toss more coils because of burnt wick then actual coil failure. While the answer for many might be build your own and use something other than cotton the TC feature seems attractive to me. Having some/more control over the temperature of the vape is attractive as well.

Vapenstein

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 4, 2010
    May I know which TC mod you have tested and what wattage/joules, temperature and resistance you have set. This would give more info on why you are not getting warm vapes.

Hcigar HB DNA 40, 450-500°, several builds 0.12-0.19, 20w-25w. I played with it enough that it wasn't going into temp protection, but I still was not getting as good a vape as kanthal. You say no dry hits, but I already get no dry hits. I don't draw for 10 seconds, I usually take 4-5 second pulls. So again, my experience with nickel was not as good as with kanthal, and I'm fine with that as kanthal works just fine for me. My wicks are clean when I dispose of old builds. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but so far the offered benefits I've heard for TC aren't eliminating any problems I'm encountering with kanthal (because I don't feel there are any), offering me anything that improves my vape or make me want to live with its shortcomings. Am I alone here? Did everyone who tried TC stay there?

Vapenstein

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 4, 2010
    Why TC? To prevent the release of carcinogens that occurs when you over heat eliquid. It is designed to be a safer vape.

which interests me not at all. I also have no problem using flavorings know to contain diacetyl. I've been vaping for almost 5 years and the health benefits of vaping for me vs smoking are dramatically evident.

m00shie

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 4, 2015
    Malaysia
    I'm sorry if my explanations make it sounds like TC is a must have. In truth, it's not a 'must have' but it's a good technology to give us more control and safety.

Similar to the emergence of VV/VW mods awhile back. We still do see ppl preferring mech mods over it.

My opinion is to stick with what you like. After all, vaping is all about personal preference. Ultimately, enjoy vaping :)

BlueridgeDog

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 20, 2014
    Rocky Mount, VA, USA
    which interests me not at all.

Then your thread is titled incorrectly. It seems you understand the goals of TC and the limits of it and chose not to use it because you are in fact already well informed and are making an intelligent choice on what and how to vape.

Steamer861

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 13, 2014
    Canada
    Then your thread is titled incorrectly. It seems you understand the goals of TC and the limits of it and chose not to use it because you are in fact already well informed and are making an intelligent choice on what and how to vape.
    That about sums it up! Maybe OP don't care, end goal should be as safe as possible vaping IMO

folkphys

ECF Veteran
    Jul 27, 2013
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Like you, I'm not so much worried about dry burning or overheated juice. I learned how to mitigate those the old-fashioned way. But so far, Tc for me adds at least two not insignificant benefits:
    1) I like to use solid metal tanked RTA's. Tc tells me when I'm out of juice far better than my face ever could. No more slightly off flavor, then overheated flavor, then burned flavor when the tank runs out.
    2) Low Voltage Vaping. Using relatively thin ultra-low res wire at ultra-low res's means you've got less overall wire mass in the coil (vs. kanthal), which means less thermal resistance, which means you need less power to reach your target temperature range in a reasonable amount of time. And this means you can have your favorite super-dragon-twisted-double-clapton-or-whatever coil type experience without giant multi-battery boxes using low-density batteries and 4 hours spent coil cursing/winding.
    2.1) Longer battery life -- being an upshot of LVV in general

Reactions: Cullin Kin

Completely Average

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 21, 2014
    Suburbs of Dallas
    which interests me not at all. I also have no problem using flavorings know to contain diacetyl. I've been vaping for almost 5 years and the health benefits of vaping for me vs smoking are dramatically evident.

That sounds like an apology for knowingly being unsafe.

Reactions: Steamer861

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal

For me nickel is a pain to work with, I found the flavor not as good as I get with kanthal, and the vape wasn't as warm as I like. So I do not get it. I know a lot of you think TC is an evolutionary step forward in vaping. Why? What is it about TC you like? From where I sit it's all downside. Is there anyone else out there like me, who tried TC vaping and went back to kanthal? Just curious about these questions.

Before you Pass completely judgment on TC, have you tried using Titanium Grade 1 Wire?

I had Very Inconsistent results using Ni200. Wasn't sure if it was my Mod, my Build, my RTA, or a Combination of a little of All of them. But I Wasn't Happy.

Then I tied using Titanium Grade 1 Wire. Everything settled down. And I was able to see what TC could do.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread