Status
Not open for further replies.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
The big trick with titanium is not to over oxidize. Yellow/gold is OK, blue is OK, unchanged color is great. Further than that and the risk of flaking of the oxide layer increases. That makes dry burns a very questionable practice. Titanium is pretty springy and, many "brands", may need to be annealed to make coil winding successful. Careful, controlled, relatively low temperature heating is the way to go. When cooled by a liquid, no problems, and vaping normally occurs at temperatures below over oxidation, but some people just have t push the envelope.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Dry burning at low power is the only way to dry burn titanium, and even the watch the color of the wire carefully so you don't over do it. There's a long discussion about this in this thread which make it worthwhile to read the thread from the beginning. We have some real experts here that know metallurgy, specific to titanium, quite well.

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
i just use it like it comes...dont know what all the fuss is about..if it springy as all h3ll i just wrap it around a smaller bit than i am aimimg for and it springs out to sort of the right diameter. i never pulse it or flame it. just clean it if needed (mostly it does) then wrap it and vape it! spaced coils all the way, single, dual-twisted and even quad-twisted (not recommended - pita)...

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
Twisted put out more/denser vape? :vapor:
yeah it does. Particlulary the quad but to be honest, wioth the springy TI wire (I used 30g) it is really hard to get it to twist properly. I made about maybe 15cm and probably about half of it was usuable (ie the twists lined up nicely).

I really dont think its worth the hassle really. For me 24 and 26 give enough coil surface to get some good vapor..

Thor Cloudchaser

Jun 25, 2015
Twisted some .5mm (don't know what gauge that is) and it is ROCKIN! Just finished it, put it in my Delta 2 RTA, and I'm enjoying so far! Getting it to wrap proper and fit in the RTA was HELL though!But it is the first time I have gotten solid vape from Ti. I'm excited, as the wick gets more saturated it is getting better! :thumbs:

tehmidcap

Verified Member
Mar 13, 2015
PA
Alright, I'm going to cave in and try some titanium despite having some really great experiences with nickel thus far (only a bit over a week into TC but I'm a complete convert, when I was previously a doubter who said I'd never need it heh)...

Has anyone bought any from the Ebay member modernfindings? If so did it compare well to other sources?

And what is everyone's preferred source of titanium (specifically those of you that have tried multiple sources)?

I only know of unkamen and that one German one.

ps: wth is square titanium wire?

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
Twisted some .5mm (don't know what gauge that is) and it is ROCKIN! Just finished it, put it in my Delta 2 RTA, and I'm enjoying so far! Getting it to wrap proper and fit in the RTA was HELL though!But it is the first time I have gotten solid vape from Ti. I'm excited, as the wick gets more saturated it is getting better! :thumbs:
twisted 24g??? Yohoho...how the hell did you fit that in?? Pic????? That must be about 2 square metre's of coil surface lol! Wow!

Thor Cloudchaser

Jun 25, 2015
First off, never linked pictures to a forum, so I hope this works. Second I had to fight to take the pics, as my phone doesn't like focusing up close, so I hope they look ok.
The browning on the cotton is due to my lack of patience. I tried to read the ohm's before the coil had settled back out, so the device thought it was .17 ohms, but it is only .15. Woops.:D It was more than difficult to fit in and get firing, but once it started workin, woo! :evil:http://<a href="http://s300.photobu... photo 20150630_184757_zpsm2zue6zz.jpg"/></a>
[URL=http://s300.photobucket.com/user/Luther_Baker/media/20150630_184950_zpsirpg9lkb.jpg.html] [/URL]
[URL=http://s300.photobucket.com/user/Luther_Baker/media/20150630_184857_zpsqadyu0x8.jpg.html] [/URL]
[URL=http://s300.photobucket.com/user/Luther_Baker/media/20150630_184757_zpsm2zue6zz.jpg.html] [/URL]

mstave

Jun 12, 2014
Baltimore, MD
36g Ti???????

Sorry. 36ga Nichrome 80, I tried it myself - 24ga TI grade 1, wrapped with 36ga Nich. Dual coil, 2.4mm ID, using the IPV4, 0.11 ohms, 300F still gives a cool vape (happens with claptons) on a Mutation v2. 350F is better (I like a warmish vape). excellent flavor and lots of vapor. All temps vaped at 50 joules. Tested TC by firing (at 300F) without cotton, gotta hot leg, wiggled the screwdriver in coils (ala Twisted Messes), no more hot legs and getting the "Dry Coil" warning, Wicked and tried a cotton burn test, no burning, no charring, same message. As far as I can tell, I have clapton coils with temp control.

Reactions: vapealone

vapealone

Jun 16, 2015
Sorry. 36ga Nichrome 80, I tried it myself - 24ga TI grade 1, wrapped with 36ga Nich. Dual coil, 2.4mm ID, using the IPV4, 0.11 ohms, 300F still gives a cool vape (happens with claptons) on a Mutation v2. 350F is better (I like a warmish vape). excellent flavor and lots of vapor. All temps vaped at 50 joules. Tested TC by firing (at 300F) without cotton, gotta hot leg, wiggled the screwdriver in coils (ala Twisted Messes), no more hot legs and getting the "Dry Coil" warning, Wicked and tried a cotton burn test, no burning, no charring, same message. As far as I can tell, I have clapton coils with temp control.
Interesting. Have u tried Ti/Ti Clapton as well?
Hybrid wise I am happy with my A1/Ni ones but Ti/Ti bugs me a bit:)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

mstave

Jun 12, 2014
Baltimore, MD
Interesting. Have u tried Ti/Ti Clapton as well?
Hybrid wise I am happy with my A1/Ni ones but Ti/Ti bugs me a bit:)

I can't find fine enough TI wire to get a quick ramp up. In Nich or Kanthal, anything over about 24ga adds so much thermal mass that I find I don't like the performance. Haven't tried NI/NI, its hard for me to believe that I can get a coil that will survive the wrapping and wicking. Stuff's fiddly

Reactions: vapealone

vapealone

Jun 16, 2015
I can't find fine enough TI wire to get a quick ramp up. In Nich or Kanthal, anything over about 24ga adds so much thermal mass that I find I don't like the performance. Haven't tried NI/NI, its hard for me to believe that I can get a coil that will survive the wrapping and wicking. Stuff's fiddly
:) I do 28A1/30Ni and 30/30 ATM so I am fine thermal mass wise and I will go even thinner close to 24ga combined:) And in the meantime waiting for your report:)

Last edited:

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Im on day two with ti... I messed with the coil as I was suddenly getting a dry hit with a wet wick. Found what it was..

Have you guys seen arcing if a leg gets loose?

I mean like arc welding to the positive post?

I know the screws like to come loose but I have never witnessed this with kanthal. Not try to cause a stink its just something different that I haven't heard about.

28g ti, arcing

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
Sounds like you need a Gadget to keep all the wires neatly separated as they're being twisted, kind of like making yarn.
Yeah it's called a drill with variable speed. I have one but it resides with my ex along with a lot of other useful stuff that I have no room for...lol! Manual twisting for me. Down and dirty with the wire....and most Ti wire is pretty dirty!!!

Reactions: awsum140
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread