Vaping giveaways raise eyebrows at state capitol

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
What struck me about contests or prizes to get vapers to be more politically active was mostly I hadn't seen it before and had never considered it. So there are ways to motivate vapers to be more active besides begging and pleading.

We haven't thought of all the possibilities. If we go looking for some others it's possible we'll find at least one more. (The Arrowhead Hypothesis)

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
Which is exactly going on right now AGAINST vaping. :-x Picture pharma dangling their "educational" grants and donations to certain "health groups" and lobbyists for tobacco promising to sweeten some legistor's campaign fund. What? We got 10% off if we sign a petition or contacting our reps?! We're not even close to the "big leagues". This inducement might get some people politically aware and active for the first time in their lives. Although, it might make them sick to see how it works now-a-days. Losing innocence is hard. :cry:

Gotta remember, Rep Pollet is the wannabe [HASHTAG]#DeskMurderer[/HASHTAG] who pushed 3 bills this lege session to ban, restrict, and tax [HASHTAG]#vaping[/HASHTAG]. Of course he's unhappy that massive popular opposition frustrated his efforts to defraud the solution to the smoking problem, so now he's trying, like other ANTZ, to paint vaping advocates as industry shills or AstroTurf.

azb8496

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2013
VA, USA
Yeah, the last one from the FDA was what? $270 million vs. a discount on a few eGos and clearos and eliquid :facepalm:

Unfortunately, this will probably not be put into perspective when it's reported. The industry really needs to be careful. The industry's outcome depends more on public opinion and interest than on truths (although it is ideal to form opinions based on truths). There are more effective ways to gain political traction and to be heard.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
There is no substitute for an angry mob if you can get one. Once someone writes a letter they are more interested, more connected, more opinionated, etc. If the original motive was a chance to win a prize the second letter will happen and it have a different motivation.

How about this, provide easy access to congressional emails to forum members then offer that interested vapers write to their representative and two senators and if they cc the email to an email address provided it will be included in a contest. Then there is the understanding that all those emails will be posted in chronological order for all to read to may be help others develop what they want to write. When X number of emails have been posted (how about 1,000) there will be judging of which emails are the best written. Probably a way could be found for forum members to do the reviewing and vote for their top favorites. Then have crowd sourced funding for prizes (I would contribute to that,) The prizes are items carried by one of the online vendors who is paid for those items with the contributed money. The vendor is notified of the winners and he fulfills the orders after being paid by the contributors then contacted via the winners' email address to provide shippiing address, etc. If US based online vendors want to offer prizes at their own expense I see know reason to turn them down. They don't pick the winners. (the prize could also be a gift certificate from a participating vendor so the winner could choose what he wants.

If the idea flops and only a few people write emails there nothing lost. If it is a smashing success there could be more rounds with more prizes. I don't see an ethical problem here because I would expect the writing to be sincere expression of interested parties and there is no chance of getting a prize with bad writting.

Reactions: caramel

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Yeah, it's a bit funny because the idea just irks people in the wrong way, I mean paying for influence, that's just wrong. Unless you're a lobbyist, or making campaign contributions, or donating to a PAC...
Which is all something that doesn't sit too well with many of us either.

Reactions: Lessifer

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Yeah, it's a bit funny because the idea just irks people in the wrong way, I mean paying for influence, that's just wrong. Unless you're a lobbyist, or making campaign contributions, or donating to a PAC...

re:underline - that 'irks me the wrong way' :)

While money can be helpful - votes are what actually count. Withholding voting, voting for someone else in the primary or for an opponent in the general - is another way to get their attention - but it has to be a movement or at least the appearance of one.

Many times, those wanting gov't regulation have all the time in the world to protest. Those who would like less gov't regulation, don't have that luxury - they have to make enough money for themselves and their family AND for many of those who are protesting for regulation and taxes against those who basically 'finance' them.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Was the sarcasm around my last sentence not clear? For future reference, ellipses almost always indicate sarcasm from me.

Lol.. ok. Should have known... ;) But took that point to make another :lol:

A flat tax and a balanced budget amendment would to away with about 70% of the lobbyists. A Rep. or Senator could say - sorry but my hands are tied on taxing and spending. Of course, they don't want that.... ;)

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Trading Store Discounts or the Chance to win a Contest, for Contacting an Elected Official may not be violation Federal or State Lobbying Disclosure Laws.

But I don't see how it lends Credibility to someone who does Contact their Rep under those Conditions. And I wonder if the Views of those who have Contacted their Reps on their own volition will be Diminished?

I find it Very Sad that Anyone would need a Monetary Enticement before they will contact a State or Federal Rep.

You would Think that Changes to the what e-Cigarette/e-Liquid products we will be able to Buy would be Incentive Enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: azb8496

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Trading Store Discounts or the Chance to win a Contest, for Contacting an Elected Official may not be violation Federal or State Lobbying Disclosure Laws.

But I don't see how it lends Credibility to someone who does Contact their Rep under those Conditions. And I wonder if the Views of those who have Contacted their Reps on their own volition will be Diminished?

I find it Very Sad that Anyone would need a Monetary Enticement before they will contact a State or Federal Rep.

You would Think that Changes to the what e-Cigarette/e-Liquid products we will be able to Buy would be Incentive Enough.
I imagine the politicians who would truly consider the opinion of a constituent less valuable because they may have received a discount to call, wouldn't really care much about that constituent's opinion anyway.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I imagine the politicians who would truly consider the opinion of a constituent less valuable because they may have received a discount to call, wouldn't really care much about that constituent's opinion anyway.

I dunno Lessifer.

Someone calls me and wants to Tell me what is on their Mind, OK.

Someone calls me and I find out it was Because they are going to get 15% Off something in a Store. That might change just how Sincere I think the Caller was.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I dunno Lessifer.

Someone calls me and wants to Tell me what is on their Mind, OK.

Someone calls me and I find out it was Because they are going to get 15% Off something in a Store. That might change just how Sincere I think the Caller was.
I get that it might, it shouldn't, but it might. I personally would also see the flip side, this is someone directly affected by this, someone who is actually buying and using these products.

Are there any gun stores that offer a discount for NRA members? I know there were places that offered discounts for Teacher's Association members back when I was a member. I don't really see how that's different.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Speaking for myself, I don't like form letters as an incentive.

I can call my rep, drive over to their house, knock on door. Best to know your grassroots "locals" so that someday, when they become reps and senators, you have an ear.

By the way, they can tell if you are genuine or not.

Given the way some people here openly and mercilessly BASH their politicians, I guess I wouldn't be suprised if they aren't willing to sit down with ya. :lol:

Reactions: Lessifer

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Are there any gun stores that offer a discount for NRA members? I know there were places that offered discounts for Teacher's Association members back when I was a member. I don't really see how that's different.

Seems like Flashing your CTA Card at Staples to get 15% Off Copying Services is One Thing.

But Staples offering you 15% Off if you will Call Diana F's office to voice Opposition to something that Staples Doesn't want is Another.

But Hey, Everyone sees things Differently.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Well, it was a discount to call, I doubt they would refuse the discount if you voiced a different opinion. Also, one involves getting an individual to express their opinion, the other is someone contributing to an organization that uses member fees to lobby politicians on issues that may or may not be of concern to their members.

Reactions: EBates

azb8496

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2013
VA, USA
As long as companies aren't violating federal or state lobbying disclosure laws, there's nothing wrong with vape shops or other vapor product companies giving incentives to vapers to contact elected officials.

I hope that I continue to see a lack of negative reporting on this situation. Perhaps, the fear of transparent hypocrisy might be scaring some media orgs away from the issue (which is a bit surprising to me). It might become a different story if it sees more headway though. I don't like the idea, for various reasons, and I see it as a high-stakes gamble with little payout. But, if it helps the industry, without casting a dim light on it, then being wrong never felt so stellar ;)

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Just wait, if I get my guess the ANTZ, BT, BP barrage of negative media is coming just before BG votes deeming regs into existence.
Why give an opponent a change to retaliates. Last second plays win games all the time.:2c:
Like when I used to wait until the last 10 seconds of an EBay auction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread