Status
Not open for further replies.

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
Discussion thread for the DNA200 and the related EScribe software.

Link to EScribe Software
http://www.evolvapor.com/software/SetupES.exe

Link to the EScribe interactive guide/tutorial (mostly finished)
EScribe Training Simulator v7

Link to the EScribe Manual
http://www.evolvapor.com/manuals/EScribeManual.pdf

Link to the DNA200 Datasheet:
Login - DNA 200 Early Adopters Forum

Link to Evolv DNA200 Early Adopters Forum:
DNA 200 Early Adopters Forum

Link to Steam Engine's TCR section:
TCR | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Last edited:

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
Software looks pretty sweet I must say.

I just installed it and the driver it installed was a generic USB to Serial thing. This rather suggests that all communication to the device is CLI commands, like the built in serial command line interface they describe in the manual? In other words, EScribe is just a GUI on top of a simple text-based command/query system?

If so, that is awesome - and the PC-only limitation won't be a limitation for long. We can write software to connect to this from any device that supports a USB serial interface - Mac, Linux, probably Android phones as well. I can see open source Mac, Linux UIs popping up to do that - an open source, cross-platform, community-made version of EScribe.

First we need to know the full set of CLI commands. If that could be published sooner rather than later, that would be awesome. Maybe there's a help screen when the ESCribe serial CLI connects? I can't tell yet, lacking a board (until tomorrow!)

The thought of CLI for research is very appealing. Making an automated procedure to fire the device for a set period, while monitoring. That's really awesome. But it would be ten times as awesome to be able to do that via scripts, rather than setting it up via the UI each time. And ditto, not be limited to PC access.

The Serial CLI in EScribe might provide that, but external command line access is always preferable: sophisticated scripting (if this output, do that); scheduling; piping data straight into other programs for processing, etc.

Once I get my board up and running I'll start experimenting with communicating with it outside the EScribe software. Maybe I can inspect the connection while EScribe is running and see the commands it sends/data it receives, assuming there isn't a complete CLI guide somewhere already.

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
Software looks pretty sweet I must say.

I just installed it and the driver it installed was a generic USB to Serial thing. This rather suggests that all communication to the device is CLI commands, like the built in serial command line interface they describe in the manual? In other words, EScribe is just a GUI on top of a simple text-based command/query system?

No need for me to show your complete quote.. but it is way above my pay grade and might as well be in Greek..:)
You could post your questions in the Early Adopters Forum (linked above) for a prompt response as others are doing so....just a thought...

Reactions: TheBloke

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
No need for me to show your complete quote.. but it is way above my pay grade and might as well be in Greek..:)
You could post your questions in the Early Adopters Forum (linked above) for a prompt response as others are doing so....just a thought...

Yeah good point, I will do so!

Trying to put it In less technical terms: it appears, from what I can see so far, that the communication between computer and DNA 40 is done by simple text commands. The computer might send a command like "set profile 1 x y z a b c" and the mod replies "OK", and that will trigger the mod to update profile 1 with data indicated by x y z a b c.

This is great, much better than the alternative which would be the PC sending unreadable (by humans) data to the mod in a special format.

In your EScribe, if you go to Tools -> Serial Terminal, I believe you will get what's called a command line interface - a blank screen in which you can type commands like I described above, and see responses from the mod. My hope is that everything the mod can do, everything the EScribe software is able to control/query on the mod, can be triggered by knowing the right command and typing it into that interface.

That would mean the main purpose of EScribe is to provide an easy-to-use front screen to what, behind the scenes, is a series of text commands sent back and forth. As opposed to EScribe being the only way to do those things (because it communicates with the mod in a human-unreadable way.)

Even better, the way the PC connects to the mod (how it knows it's plugged in; how it sends the commands I described above) appears to be a very standard, generic connection type. One that has been around for years, and that exists on all types of operating system (Mac, Linux, Android.)

Putting all this together, it appears that it would be easy to connect to the DNA 40 from any computer and to send commands to it - changing settings, getting back data. And even to replicate EScribe on those other operating systems, at least in some form.

The above is just early speculation. It could be that the command/text interface is limited to only certain commands (such as ones for getting back data, which is what the manual mentions as an example of using Serial Terminal.) Or it might not be using only the generic communication method I saw it install, that might be only part of the story.

But anyway yeah I'll post this on the Evolv forum later, and when I get my board working I will play around and see what I can do.

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
In your EScribe, if you go to Tools -> Serial Terminal, I believe you will get what's called a command line interface - a blank screen in which you can type commands like I described above, and see responses from the mod. My hope is that everything the mod can do, everything the EScribe software is able to control/query on the mod, can be triggered by knowing the right command and typing it into that interface.

Yep... used that a few times already but others had to provide the commands...

Reactions: TheBloke

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
Good to see you are getting the answers you desired from the Adopters Forum....

Yup! So seems like I can do most of what I described above. That's great news.

Also that a Linux and Mac version of EScribe - with at least some of the functionality - could be fairly easy to setup. In fact I anticipate, based on what James said, to be able to do the Research stuff - triggered firing, changing Profiles etc - from Linux immediately. I'll give that a go sooner rather than later.

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
I have a feeling the software has an encrypted handshake before allowing a connection, I really hope not. If it's a simple terminal I plan on integrating a serial Bluetooth adapter and writing an android app to control it all.

Full details here: Serial / Command Line Interface: list of commands? And is it a complete interface for controlling 100% of DNA 200 functions and the basis of EScribe? - DNA 200 Early Adopters Forum

In brief:
  • Firmware update is encrypted, we won't be able to do this - perhaps in the future they'll work with community developers of cross-platform tools to allow Mac, Linux etc to do firmware updates as well.
  • Settings download/upload is a binary bundle - not encrypted, but not plain text either; if/when they tell us the format, we could send this, but not immediately
  • Device Monitor and all the 'research' stuff is purely command line - we can do this immediately from any device that can do Serial over USB
    • There's a couple of methods of connecting, one that works out-of-the-box on Linux but not on Mac, another that works on both. See the post from James in the above thread (he's the author of EScribe and the USB driver)

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
While monitoring is nice and would be essential in the app I have in mind, setting variables is what's ultimately important for my application.

Did you get the command list?

No in full yet, but others have chimed in to ask as well so I'm sure it'll come soon.

I was told these handful:

• Profiles:
    • M=1 through M=8 and M=GET
  • Set power:
    • P=#W and P=GET
  • Set Temperature:
    • T=#F or T=#C or T=? and T=GET
  • Fire for X seconds:
    • F=#S (1-20)

I've already tested them out on the PC, opening a Serial connection via Putty and the Cygwin command line. echo "P=30W" >> /dev/ttyS5 and boom, the screen lights up showing 30W. Pretty damn awesome :) Tomorrow when my board is wired and usable I'm going to set up a keyboard shortcut on the PC I can use to start vaping :D And maybe a little app for quick settings: watts, temp, profile etc.

My desk-only mod might turn out to be the most usable of all my mods! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread