Kanger OCC sub ohm coils premature failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toolbox875

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2015
Hi all ,
Firstly, thanks to this forum I am cigarette free for almost a month and not looking back.

Just purchased a Kanger subox mini and have been using it to supplement my joyetech ego one.

Question I have for all the gurus is, I am getting a lot a of burnt hits when I go above 20 watts on the .5 ohm coil. Am I doing something wrong? And , if I get burnt hits is that the end of life for the coil? I just change 3 coils in 5 days.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hi all ,
Firstly, thanks to this forum I am cigarette free for almost a month and not looking back.

Just purchased a Kanger subox mini and have been using it to supplement my Joyetech ego one.

Question I have for all the gurus is, I am getting a lot a of burnt hits when I go above 20 watts on the .5 ohm coil. Am I doing something wrong? And , if I get burnt hits is that the end of life for the coil? I just change 3 coils in 5 days.

putting too much power will give burnt hits.

if you burn something bad enough it's going to keep tasting burnt

Reactions: ddirtyvapes

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Thanks. So it is not uncommon to change the coil every other day?

Depending how much you vape I'd expect a coil to last 3 days to a week.

thick dark juices gunk coils up faster.

many coils can be dryburned and rewicked for reuse

Reactions: ddirtyvapes

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
These come with the vertical coils, right?

What kind of juice are you using?

edyle has already started to give plenty of good advice. I second everything he's saying, but you should be able to push those .5s way past 20W with the right juice if you so desired. I have a strong suspicion that's what's happening here, but will wait for your response.

With thicker juices especially, you can take a safety pin and gently work it into the wicking hole of the OCC. You don't want to push the wick itself back, just make a small hole basically the diameter of the pin. For REALLY thick juices you might want to do both sides, but frankly I think a juice that thick is too thick for the tank. I only do it on one side, usually, to avoid spitback.

Yes to rewicking the OCCs, really helps to extend the life of them. But having the right juice is essential. I destroyed a number of coils pretty quickly with high-malic acid juice, whereas another juice I make that's easier on them can easily make it ~10 days.

Toolbox875

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2015
Just checked the coils. On the first coil , which came with the subox it is vertical. The replacements are all horizontal.

As far a juices the first coil (vertical) was Telelos the milk (I believe 80 vg).

Second coil (horizontal coil) I was ANML looper also 80 vg

Third (horizontal) was vaping 70vg juice.

I will try the safety trick, hope it will help.

Toolbox875

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2015
you should try using the rbta section of it instead of the occ coils, i found it a lot better than the occ coils, look on rip trippers on youtube he has a setup you can build easily if you have wire and cotton
The subox comes with cotton. It looks so intimidating and complex to try to build a coil. That is what stopping me. I will look the video up.

WonderDude32

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
Clarksville, TN
The rba is an easy build. By the third time you do it, you'll wonder what the hold up was. lol

I've burned up more coils in the ego One than any other tank I've ever used. For a different option, you should see Rip's video on the Delta 2 chimney build. It works well with the subtank and it's easier than on the Delta.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
Toolbox I'm having a little bit of trouble quoting, sorry. As a general rule I would personally say those VG levels are pushing it just a tiny bit, but the safety pin trick should help. I'm not sure how well it will work with a vertical coil (I hear those wick better but I haven't gotten any yet) but will definitely help with the horizontals. Well, it will help it wick better but still probably gunk the coils quickly. I try to stick to about 65% or less, but it's not impossible to use higher VG stuff that's thinned out a little.

I agree that the new RbA head looks top notch with the larger holes. I know that building can be a little intimidating but it's not that big of a deal. That said, I really don't care to build either. I just don't enjoy it as I spend enough time making juice. I'm pretty sure that Kanger makes pre-built free coils meant to be installed in their RBAs? THIS is quite easy and might be something to think about if you're not ready to get into building and you don't mind having the stock resistance. I thought the coil that came with my Mini V1 was just fine.

Certainly re-wicking the horizontal coils is a breeze. Not sure about the verticals but I imagine it's possible. I've been able use my high-malic-acid and high VG juices on dedicated coils that I de-wick, dry burn, and rewick almost daily when I choose to use them. It's easy but still more work than ideal, which is why in the end I just find it simpler to use lower VG blends. 50/50 wicks beautifully and still chucks some good clouds.

Toolbox875

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2015
Toolbox I'm having a little bit of trouble quoting, sorry. As a general rule I would personally say those VG levels are pushing it just a tiny bit, but the safety pin trick should help. I'm not sure how well it will work with a vertical coil (I hear those wick better but I haven't gotten any yet) but will definitely help with the horizontals. Well, it will help it wick better but still probably gunk the coils quickly. I try to stick to about 65% or less, but it's not impossible to use higher VG stuff that's thinned out a little.

I agree that the new RbA head looks top notch with the larger holes. I know that building can be a little intimidating but it's not that big of a deal. That said, I really don't care to build either. I just don't enjoy it as I spend enough time making juice. I'm pretty sure that Kanger makes pre-built free coils meant to be installed in their RBAs? THIS is quite easy and might be something to think about if you're not ready to get into building and you don't mind having the stock resistance. I thought the coil that came with my Mini V1 was just fine.

Certainly re-wicking the horizontal coils is a breeze. Not sure about the verticals but I imagine it's possible. I've been able use my high-malic-acid and high VG juices on dedicated coils that I de-wick, dry burn, and rewick almost daily when I choose to use them. It's easy but still more work than ideal, which is why in the end I just find it simpler to use lower VG blends. 50/50 wicks beautifully and still chucks some good clouds.
Hah !!!!!! What do you know!!! I just opened the box and I see in the rba has a coil , all is needed is to put the cotton in. nice!!!

I am going to give it a try. Now how much cotton do I need to put?

All said, smoking cost me 12.5 a pack @ a pack day it comes to 88 bucks. I realized, after the first week, that I really save money vaping. Now I can save even more by using RBA and building your own coil.

You guys are great!!!!!!!

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
Tool you want to cut off a strip of cotton maybe 1/3"ISH wide and 1.5-2"ISH long (I'm terrible at sight estimation) and roll it between your fingers some. You want it to pretty easily slide into the coil without being able to fall right out. Trim the ends and gently stuff the rest in the atomizer. Truly it will be easier and more clear to find a video on YouTube or a photo tutorial, but that's about all there is to it with the new Subtank RBA.

Gcc yeah, totally. I want to get some new vertical coils and rip one apart. I'm sure you're right it's about the same as some of the others. I just still have a ton of horizontal OCCs left but next time I order I'm well ready to give the verticals a whirl.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Hah !!!!!! What do you know!!! I just opened the box and I see in the rba has a coil , all is needed is to put the cotton in. nice!!!

I am going to give it a try. Now how much cotton do I need to put?

All said, smoking cost me 12.5 a pack @ a pack day it comes to 88 bucks. I realized, after the first week, that I really save money vaping. Now I can save even more by using RBA and building your own coil.

You guys are great!!!!!!!

use just enough to slide cotton through coil without too much resistance.
the cotton swells when wet.

If you twist the cotton to make it fit, it will be tight and not wick as fast as loose cotton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread