Steeping Times and an Ultrasonic Cleaner Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'mnotZak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Hi all, thanks for all of the great information. I have a few questions regarding US steeping for vendor purchased juice. (I am not ready to venture into DIY liquids at this point.) I just purchased the 110V Isonic P4810 US with a 2L capacity, heat option and timer settings from 1-30 minutes. I would like to utilize the US to steep the juices that I just purchased. (Yet another example of my ever growing impatience with age...) My stock is primarily 50/50 VG / PG with 12mg nicotine strength. So, here are my "rookie" questions with focus on the procedure:
1) Lids / caps on or off when running the cycle?
2) Is it ok to use the bottles (glass and plastic) that were utilized by the vendor?
3) If I use the vendor glass or plastic bottles, any suggestions on how to protect the labels?
4) How long / how many cycles should I run?
5) Heat or no heat? If no heat, should I use warm to hot tap water?
6) Should I use the rack or place the bottles on the bottom of the US tank? If I don't use the rack, my thought is that I will need to somehow "lift" the bottles off of the tank bottom to maximize the US "shake."
7) Any other expert suggestions?

I think that is all for now. In advance, I appreciate all feedback and suggestions.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
Hi all, thanks for all of the great information. I have a few questions regarding US steeping for vendor purchased juice. (I am not ready to venture into DIY liquids at this point.) I just purchased the 110V Isonic P4810 US with a 2L capacity, heat option and timer settings from 1-30 minutes. I would like to utilize the US to steep the juices that I just purchased. (Yet another example of my ever growing impatience with age...) My stock is primarily 50/50 VG / PG with 12mg nicotine strength. So, here are my "rookie" questions with focus on the procedure:
1) Lids / caps on or off when running the cycle?
2) Is it ok to use the bottles (glass and plastic) that were utilized by the vendor?
3) If I use the vendor glass or plastic bottles, any suggestions on how to protect the labels?
4) How long / how many cycles should I run?
5) Heat or no heat? If no heat, should I use warm to hot tap water?
6) Should I use the rack or place the bottles on the bottom of the US tank? If I don't use the rack, my thought is that I will need to somehow "lift" the bottles off of the tank bottom to maximize the US "shake."
7) Any other expert suggestions?

I think that is all for now. In advance, I appreciate all feedback and suggestions.

Cap on in the UC
Glass - Buy some blue or amber glass bottles. They're a good investment.
The water will heat itself. Mine has no heater.
I start with hot water, run 30-45 minutes, shut off and let sit with caps off for an hour. repeat.
I usually give 4 or 5 cycles.
Use the rack.
If I start with cold or warm water it takes about a half hour to get to temp. That wastes my time IMO.
Keep it under 150F
I let it sit overnight with the caps off then shake it and give it a final cycle.

Have fun

Reactions: I'mnotZak

bobalex

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Ditto Mowgli's post (with some minor variations)

You can use plastic bottles but since plastic dampens the UC effect ... prepare to spend more time than you wanted to. And without a shred of scientific data to rely on ... I think something (now there's hard data for you) in the plastic may leech into the juice and kill you.

If I use the vendor glass or plastic bottles, any suggestions on how to protect the labels?

You can't. Buy glass bottles. I did. And I'm cheaper than everyone.

How long / how many cycles should I run?

As many as you can stand ... as long as you give the UC at least a ten minute rest after every 30 minutes of UC time. The bottom line is ... when the juice tastes good ... you're done.

My UC hasn't died yet so I'm still hopping up every @$#!! eight minutes to turn it the @$#!! thing back on.

Any other expert suggestions?

Have fun.

bobalex

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
@Mowgli and @bobalex, THANK YOU for taking the time to share your expertise! Very straight forward. One final question, where did you purchase blue or amber glass bottles?

Thanks again!

I'd like to help you out but I'm up here in Canada where Shipping Costs Are Ridiculous.

What I did (cuz I'm cheap) is use a couple of glass pint bottles that used to hold cream. I make a lot of juice at once. 555 and American Tobacco. When the batch is done I decant into smaller bottles.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
@Mowgli and @bobalex, THANK YOU for taking the time to share your expertise! Very straight forward. One final question, where did you purchase blue or amber glass bottles?

Thanks again!

I got my first dozen from Specialty bottle co. Great prices but expensive shipping.

I got my next bunches from RTS Vapor & Wizard Labs while ordering DIY supplies.
I almost always make my orders enough $$ for free shipping so throwing in some bottles & caps was a no brainer.

OTOH - I've been ordering from 2 oz Cobalt Blue Glass Boston Round Bottle | Glass Bottles, Jars, Closures & More | Packaging Options Direct
I wish I knew about them when I started.
Great selection & prices, decent shipping cost and sometimes give free shipping to new customers.
You'll need to order the matching poly cone caps or droppers separately.
20-400 Continuous Thread Lined Black Phenolic Closure
20mm Dropper Assembly in Black w/ 89mm Pipette

I have way too many 1oz, not enough 2oz, plenty of 4oz & just enough 8oz but I DIY so I need a selection
I'd get a dozen 1oz with matching caps & 1/2 dozen droppers to start.
the 1oz & 2oz use the same cap but different droppers.
Let me get the correct links for the 1oz (30ml) gear for you BRB

Last edited:

I'mnotZak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Cap on in the UC
Glass - Buy some blue or amber glass bottles. They're a good investment.
The water will heat itself. Mine has no heater.
I start with hot water, run 30-45 minutes, shut off and let sit with caps off for an hour. repeat.
I usually give 4 or 5 cycles.
Use the rack.
If I start with cold or warm water it takes about a half hour to get to temp. That wastes my time IMO.
Keep it under 150F
I let it sit overnight with the caps off then shake it and give it a final cycle.

Have fun

@Mowgli, one final (most likely not) question:
Do you close the lid during the UC cycles or leave the lid open?

Thanks again for all of your help!

I'mnotZak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Do you close the lid during the UC cycles or leave the lid open?

Lid open. Having it open or closed doesn't do anything for the UC voodoo. If your bottles fit with the lid closed ... fine. If they don't then lid open.

THAK YOU @ bobalex! As I said yesterday, I really appreciate your fast, expert feedback. This has been extremely helpful. The UC arrives later today, and I will be spending my evening doing some steeping.

I'mnotZak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member

BTW, I did order cobalt blue bottles as suggested. Thanks again for the links and info! They offered 50% off of shipping costs. I received an email that order is being filled and will ship today. I'm excited to steep in the UC and look forward to the results!

Reactions: Mowgli

I'mnotZak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
US Steep.jpg

Thanks again! Up and running my first test.

Reactions: Mowgli

jpasint

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Coconut Creek, Florida
View attachment 468232

Thanks again! Up and running my first test.
Sweet. They work miracles for cleaning atty parts too.
Just add about 10% heavy duty cleaner solvent.
I put my parts to be cleaned in a 600 ml beaker with the cleaning mix that way I don't contaminate the entire UC tank.

I'mnotZak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sweet. They work miracles for cleaning atty parts too.
Just add about 10% heavy duty cleaner solvent.
I put my parts to be cleaned in a 600 ml beaker with the cleaning mix that way I don't contaminate the entire UC tank.

Thanks for the advice @jpasint. What brand of heavy duty cleaner solvent do you use? I plan to get my money worth out of this cleaner.

jpasint

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Coconut Creek, Florida

I'mnotZak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I have the same one. You'll get great results with it.

Hey Dannyv, it's always good to hear that a fellow vapor owns this US and is happy with the device. You are correct, my first steep run gave great results on the 2 bottles that I steeped. I followed the advice shared by @Mowgli and @bobalex posted earlier in this thread with excellent results. I am always eager to learn, is your process similar?

Have a great day and July 4 weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread