Prof. Robert West on vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

azb8496

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2013
VA, USA
Very nice piece. While I might disagree with his conclusion that reduction is not as good as quitting cold turkey, I also understand that he's taking an approach relying on epidemiology, while I know that cold turkey isn't a viable option for me, and many others, from a mere personal perspective.

His approach is very wise. Essentially, he's saying what works for most, but if that doesn't work for you, don't give up. Very excellent and inspiring thoughts. Everyone should read this.

Reactions: DrMA

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Not my favorite THRer...

Ridiculous FUD Article of the Week - Helena Independent Record

....and subsequent posts.

Plus here, he harps on the 'brain chemistry' stuff that can be explained (at least with nicotine) in other ways. Most vapers don't have that 'urge' that we had as smokers. So the brain chemistry science may sound good but it doesn't stand up to current views where vapor is a big aspect of the habit. If it weren't, then gum and patches would work. And the brain chemistry idea actually supports the ANTZ argument on children which I think is bogus. Yeah, I know the brain develops but mainly the mind goes from perceptional response to conceptional thought - smoking most likely enhances that and there are good reasons why - the 'relaxed focus' aspect of smoking and nicotine. More studies should be done on that - they actually might find out something important rather than their fear mongering ways. Why is smoking prevalent in many of our geniuses - and at one point college professors and scholars. And why is non-smoking prevalent in the small minds of the tobacco Control groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread