frontcase_zpsyunstcww.jpg

backcase1_zpszvpfxsjv.jpg

backcase2_zpsfqnycp4m.jpg

Cotay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
Central Coast California
So I've put together a couple of additional DNA200 box designs but I can't decide which one to print first. They are essentially the same, but one is slightly more rounded and the other has a more flat surface on the front & back.

More rounded box (front & back view w/o battery door) (dimensions are 85x45x41)

dna200_wide_body_narrow_1.png
dna200_wide_body_narrow_1_back_view.png

More flat front/back surface version (front & back view w/o battery door) (dimensions are 85x45x40)

dna200_wide_body_narrow_2.png
dna200_wide_body_narrow_2_back_view.png

Any opinions on which should go first?

Cotay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
Central Coast California
I'm digging the flatter one. Plus it's an mm smaller.

Yeah, the 1mm wasn't ideal. I had to move the battery rail box back 1mm to accommodate the more pronounced rounding. My first attempt at this design had dimensions of 85x50x45, but I wanted to shave off 5mm front and back and still keep the same wall thickness. The side walls are 2mm thick and the front and back are 4mm thick. I could have saved some interior space if I went with 1mm-2mm walls, but I wanted these to be solid. The design necessitates using remote leads for the JST-XH connector, but that doesn't require any more soldering than normal...just a bit more care. The designs are built around this battery: Turnigy nano-tech 1300mah 3S 25~50C Lipo Pack and are intended for a VT 510. The dna screen was intentionally moved down a bit to accommodate a screen clamp and to give more thumb room on the fire button.

This is the battery door for the second design and some larger pics of the design. I plan on using rectangular magnets on the top and bottom of the back wall. I've decided to use 8 of these magnets: K&J Magnetics: B114 I have to insert the holes still for the magnets, but otherwise I'm ready to test print once I do that. I may try to combine all parts into one printable unit with extrusions to hopefully get the parts to be more accurate in their fitment.
dna200_wide_body_narrow_2_battery_door.png

dna200_wide_body_narrow_2.png

dna200_wide_body_narrow_2_back_view.png

Last edited:

Cotay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
Central Coast California
Here's a few screen captures...
frontcase2_zpsrikeeepz.jpg

frontcase_zpsyunstcww.jpg

backcase1_zpszvpfxsjv.jpg

backcase2_zpsfqnycp4m.jpg

I uploaded my STL conversions of the Beta enclosure to Shapeways, but the parts wouldn't pass the basic checks in plastics. Apparently the box was designed to be milled and not printed, but I'm sure the basic design can be modified to print in plastics. It does pass the stainless steel design checks though...total cost though is close to or exceeds $200 for the box and buttons. I'm interested in seeing if I can retrofit a FD V3 510 to this thing.

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
I uploaded my STL conversions of the Beta enclosure to Shapeways, but the parts wouldn't pass the basic checks in plastics. Apparently the box was designed to be milled and not printed, but I'm sure the basic design can be modified to print in plastics. It does pass the stainless steel design checks though...total cost though is close to or exceeds $200 for the box and buttons. I'm interested in seeing if I can retrofit a FD V3 510 to this thing.
I should get my test print this weekend. I'll post pics.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Is swearing on French legal? :)

If it is, can I swear in other languages like German, Portuguese or Spanish for example? :D

Regards
Tony

Sent from my keyboard through my phone or something like that.
I hope swearing in other languages is ok, just in case I ever choose to post in Finnish. It's virtually impossible not to swear when using Finnish...

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

xpen

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2012
Italy
I'm just wondering if a 1k mAh or thereabouts LiPo 3s pack will be enough for me to pass a full day of vaping.. I'm comfortable with mods not thicker than 1 inch/25mm, and that puts a serious limitation to the total mAh I can fit inside the case..
For the record, I go thru a pair of 18650s a day, or about 2/5 of an istick 50W battery [emoji4]

BlueridgeDog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2014
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
So I've put together a couple of additional DNA200 box designs but I can't decide which one to print first.

Personally I am not going to print a case until I get the chip and fit it to the sled/mount portion. I have a few prints of the mount area already, so once I have a chip that confirms the layout I will go for a print. This will be my first try:

Screen Shot 2015-07-01 at 7.26.35 AM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread