TC why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mc8

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Slovenia
I never looked back, since my first temp build. Don't really understand why everyone is complaining about nickel being pain to build. Yes, it is softer, but i'm sure everyone who can build with kanthal shouldn't have any problems building with nickel. Titanium, of course, is even easier.

What impresses me is, how your kanthal builds are so durable. Clean wick after weeks?? Can you give us some insights into this? I was rebuilding kanthal every day, since there was always some buildup on it. Must be some claptons or something? Never got that far. But I'm happy with my temp builds now, as i rebuild once or twice a week. Its easy and way more durable than kanthal for me.

And good for you, if you never got any dry hits. I'm sure you'd think about using kanthal ever again, after the first one ;)

Reactions: jmercury1

Vapenstein

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
What impresses me is, how your kanthal builds are so durable. Clean wick after weeks?? Can you give us some insights into this?

I vape Capella's Vanilla Custard + TFA Dulce de Leche at 73% VG and it burns really clean. When I switch to other juices for a break I can tell they're a lot harder on my coils. German Flavors especially, it seems like some of theirs gunk a coil in an afternoon. Just lucky I guess, my ADV is pretty easy on coils. The old rayon comes out looking nice and white when I rebuild.

Vooper

Apr 16, 2015
the question was legitimate. I was wondering why TC, explained how I saw it, and whether anyone felt like I did. A legitimate response is yes TC and why, or no I agree with you a waste of time, your response just adds noise.

You've clearly already made up your mind about temp control so there really doesn't seem to be much point in asking.

tehmidcap

Verified Member
Mar 13, 2015
PA
I never looked back, since my first temp build.

Same here. I'm absolutely loving temp control after purchasing an IPV4 about a week ago, and can't see myself vaping from kanthal anytime soon.

I never particularly had any problems with dry hits, either, and I say that as a 90% or higher VG vaper.. After learning how to wick each particular RTA that I was using, I was pretty much set aside from one random freak dry hit that would happen maybe a couple times in a month.

Temp control is great because it adds another variable to fine tune that perfect vape... It is absolutely true that some flavors shine at slightly higher temperatures while other flavors shine at slightly lower temperatures.

I've also found that my vaping style is starting to change with TC. When I was using kanthal only a daily basis, I liked to use around 0.5ohm coils around 25-30 watts, and I took pretty short drags (usually around 3 seconds, 4 seconds tops). I think that I just got myself in the habit of taking short drags when I started to get into higher wattage vaping because with a lot of RTAs, unless you have it wicked just right, you can't take long drags at high wattages AND take back-to-back hits or your wicking just will not keep up... So I guess I just unconsciously just tried to find the right wattage and other variables that I could get the desired amount of vapor by taking harder, shorter drags. But now, with TC, I'm taking drags that are cooler but taking them for longer and the result is actually more vapor than when I was using kanthal.

Just a little bit ago I was doing some DIY flavor testing on my Tobh/Mech setup with a 0.3ohm dual kanthal build that was pretty close to my vaping preference even when using VW devices with kanthal, and gave me that slight choke feeling. It was too warm, too much too fast, and that's only a week of being used to Nickel builds and vaping in a slightly different manner. Doing the same test on a single coil Nickel build on a Derringer I could also detect all the extracts used in the mixing more clearly.

Long story short, if you're a cloud chaser and you don't care about flavors (and you don't have any dry hit issues) then TC may not be for you.

PS: I personally find building nickel coils quite easy, bending legs and manipulating the coil to fit in a confined space is a much easier process.

BlueridgeDog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2014
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
I don't think there is anything wrong with a thread of normative value wherein people try and convince each other of a given viewpoint. I don't typically dive in as most viewpoints are right for the holder of them at the time. My only suggestion was that the title of the thread would better listed as "I don't see a need for TC, why do you?". The original poster is no vape newbie and is looking for fellow high end users to debate with. That is cool. Having been married twice and raised kids I have used up all my debate mojo.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I vape on two Cthulhu tanks, running dual builds usually between 0.26-0.30 ohm. Usually somewhere between 35w-45w depending on what gauge wire and/or twisted I used in the build. I get great flavor, a nice warm vape, the Cthulhus wick great, and I never, ever get a dry hit. Throwing a new build in only takes a few minutes, and the custards I normally vape allow me to go as long as 2 weeks before a new build is necessary.

For me nickel is a pain to work with, I found the flavor not as good as I get with kanthal, and the vape wasn't as warm as I like. So I do not get it. I know a lot of you think TC is an evolutionary step forward in vaping. Why? What is it about TC you like? From where I sit it's all downside. Is there anyone else out there like me, who tried TC vaping and went back to kanthal? Just curious about these questions.

You have conflated
TC
with
Nickel.

Reactions: Cullin Kin

Rizzyking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
East Midlands, United Kingdom
Consistent vape throughout the life of the tank and I'm getting stronger range of flavours from tc that I didn't get from kanthal but that's subjective to me personally so perhaps op is one of those people that's found his happy spot and should just stay there. End of the day to be perfectly honest I'm not interested in selling any aspect of vaping to anyone I vape for me and me alone your all intelligent people you can find what works for you yourselves. For the record I've built one nickel coil and it's in my lemo1 working a charm was no hassle at all for me with nickel was just as easy as kanthal it was tempered nickel if that makes any odds.

No one is going to say a thing about tc that's going to alter the ops view of it so from that standpoint thread is argumentative and if it was general enquiry about the merits of tc could have been done in general vaping section not coming to the tc section where most people are happy with tc.

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
Before you Pass completely judgment on TC, have you tried using Titanium Grade 1 Wire?

I had Very Inconsistent results using Ni200. Wasn't sure if it was my Mod, my Build, my RTA, or a Combination of a little of All of them. But I Wasn't Happy.

Then I tied using Titanium Grade 1 Wire. Everything settled down. And I was able to see what TC could do.

I'd have to agree, Ti G1 was a game changer. For me the flavor is superior and it extends the life of my wicks and coils. It's honestly simplified my vaping a little bit.

JimScotty0

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2014
Garden Grove, CA, USA
www.facebook.com
I vaped Kanthal A1 for over a year and since I got my SXM I have not even once vaped on Kanthal A1 in the last several weeks using NI200. Once the update comes out I will probably try Ti to see how that performs. I doubt I will ever go back to not using a TC device. Just so much more consistent and enjoyable. I have no problems at all building with NI200.

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
If you aren't getting good flavor, the issue isn't that it's ni200, or TC, the issue is you are building and wicking as if it was kanthal. My sub tanks put out just as good of flavor with a solid, simple 3mm spaced coil with 28 gauge ni200 as it ever did, even compared to the Clapton I used to run on it, and no other build topped the Clapton for flavor on that tank before.
There is a learning curve moving from kanthal to ni200, but there are plenty of benefits.
Yes, you may not get dry hits currently, but can you vape a tank bone dry, so much so that you can put a new flavor in with little to no flavor mixing? You can with tc.
Like a certain temp range with one juice, but completely different for another? TC makes that easy with the same build and wicking, just up or lower temp, no need to rebuild, change coil type, id, position to airflow, wick density yadda yadda.
Long story short, you saying tc is pointless because your beginning experience with it was unsatisfactory is akin to a first time builder saying rba's are pointless because he gets better flavor from his clearo tank......he probably does, but through no fault of the rba.
Sent with one hand, the other is busy vaping.

Pushbutton

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2014
Vienna, Austria
I've have tried TC vaping with both Nickel and Titanium and gone back to a Kanthal build after a couple of hours nearly two dozen times by now. I don't get dry hits with regular builds and not exactly cooking my juice either.
TC just does not give me the same quality vape, no matter what i do with it.
While i am sure it may be of benefit to others, i see no improvement in it for myself.

tehmidcap

Verified Member
Mar 13, 2015
PA
I've have tried TC vaping with both Nickel and Titanium and gone back to a Kanthal build after a couple of hours nearly two dozen times by now. I don't get dry hits with regular builds and not exactly cooking my juice either.
TC just does not give me the same quality vape, no matter what i do with it.
While i am sure it may be of benefit to others, i see no improvement in it for myself.

That's strange to me... but like someone else said, I have no motivation in convincing you that you need TC because maybe you don't. But it's odd to me to hear more than one person say that they weren't satisfied with the vape from TC (unless you're a crazy cloud chaser).

Are you sure you were using a GOOD tc device (preferably Yihi chip or a NEW revision of a DNA) that has resistance lock? Are you sure that you had a build that was in the appropriate range (Ni200 .05 to .15 seems best, .1 to .2ish for Titanium based on what I've read thus far)?

Azarias

May 25, 2015
Illinois
I remember threads like this one when VV came out.
I remember threads like this one when VW came out.
I remember threads like this one when Microcoils came ot.
I remember threads like this one when cotton came out.
I remember threads like this one when stacking came out.
[...]
I remember threads like this one when TC came ... oh. Never mind.

Seriously. Everytime something new is coming out a threads like this one pops up. If you don't like TC or you don't need it don't use it.
As long as YOU are happy with your gear everything is fine.
Damn. I know vapers who are happy using cigalikes after 4 years. If it's working for them. Great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread