Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
I can't comment on the authentic Stingray X, but if you get a clone go for the Kepler as in my opinion it is the best of the bunch. Other suggestions would include the stainless steel SMPL. These are both well designed mechs with low voltage, but at the end of the day it's mostly down to personal preference. Theres a wealth of information out there and on here. Do some research, read some reviews and pick a handful that appeal to you and your budget.
Are you aware of the safety issues with hybrid style top caps? If so good, if not I can furnish you with the details.

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
I have experience using many regulated devices, drippers, subohm tanks, etc. but I've wanted to venture into the realm of mech mods. I've been looking at the Stingray X because it comes with a regular topcap and hybrid topcap. Any other suggestions?
I have an Hcigar Stingray X clone and it's one of my favorite mechs , all the benefits of copper with less maintenance . I've been thinking of getting another one but if I do I'd go with the Shenxi version , they're the same company that makes the Red Phoenix Panzer , seriously low voltage drop on it . One thing that bugs me about the Hcigar , Infinite and Kepler versions is that the hybrid adapter is brass instead of copper like the Shenxi version . I know you can get a copper hybrid adapter from Fasttech for the Stingray X but it seems like they should've come with the mech to begin with . No big deal but it bugs me . Any of the Stingray X clones I mentioned would be an excellent choice but here's the Shenxi if you wanna check it out .
G-Mod / Shenxi Stingray X Clone 18650 22mm Mechanical Mod

Reactions: DaveSignal

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I prefer the AltSmoke Silver Bullet.

• US made; if it needs repair just send it back to the manufacturer in Ohio. Try doing that with the cheap mods and clones from China.
  • Extremely durable and lightweight; made from aircraft grade aluminum.
  • More natural and safer recessed side fire button prevents autofiring in a pocket or purse.
  • Available in numerous colors
  • Has a battery extension tube available if you want to use an 18650 and KICK for regulated power.

Last edited:

Cloudd

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Heard quite some good stuffs about cartel 18650's thick and sturdy (as hell), low voltage drop, copper pins (silver plated if not mistaken), standard adjustable positive pins. Compared to SMPL it's gonna be longer and getting a perfect battery fit could be a pain sometimes. Bottom firing button is serviceable tho.

PS: clonez iz cheep

k2zs

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2014
Rochester, NY
I myself would stay away from the Stingray, Nemesis style clones. I have had one of each and found that the locking rings were garbage. The threading was so fine that it took many many turns to lock/unlock the device. They are also very flimsy and with my Nemesis clone, the chrome plating chipped off within a few weeks of use. The other issue was having the rings bind up constantly. Then there's the problem with the springs/magnets not being strong enough to support the weight of the device without auto firing so no matter what, I was constantly screwing and un-screwing the locking ring.

To date, the best mod that I have ever purchased was my GP Paps v3. Solid device! There are no adjustments needed as the top cap has a spring loaded center pin top and bottom so it auto adjusts for any battery or atty. The build quality was superb, and I found one brand new for less than 100 bucks! The throw on the switch is .3mm and is feather light but the way that it's designed, you can set it down without locking it at all AND it took less than 1 rotation to lock it.

I'm not trying to start a clone vs authentic thing here but you really do get what you pay for. I've spent hundreds on clone/cheap devices looking for that "perfect" vape but in all honesty, one good device has satisfied me for a long time...

Reactions: Firestorm

k2zs

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2014
Rochester, NY
I own a number of mechs. My favorites, hands down, are the Smok Magneto and a cheap copper copy of a nemesis. I'm going the other way. I've been vaping mechs for some time, and I just ordered a regulated box mod with TC.
Oh man!!! That's right! My first mechanical was a Magneto and that was a very solid device that performed very well! I PIF'd it to a buddy and he still uses it to this day. That thing's going on 2 years old now...

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Oh man!!! That's right! My first mechanical was a Magneto and that was a very solid device that performed very well! I PIF'd it to a buddy and he still uses it to this day. That thing's going on 2 years old now...
Amen. I'm vaping the Magneto right now, topped with a Fogger V6 wearing dual Claptons at .4 and filled with a little Clove DIY :) One or the other of those two mods I mentioned are almost certainly the one pictured in my Tin-Foil-Hat avatar photo.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
I myself would stay away from the Stingray, Nemesis style clones. I have had one of each and found that the locking rings were garbage. The threading was so fine that it took many many turns to lock/unlock the device. They are also very flimsy and with my Nemesis clone, the chrome plating chipped off within a few weeks of use. The other issue was having the rings bind up constantly. Then there's the problem with the springs/magnets not being strong enough to support the weight of the device without auto firing so no matter what, I was constantly screwing and un-screwing the locking ring.

To date, the best mod that I have ever purchased was my GP Paps v3. Solid device! There are no adjustments needed as the top cap has a spring loaded center pin top and bottom so it auto adjusts for any battery or atty. The build quality was superb, and I found one brand new for less than 100 bucks! The throw on the switch is .3mm and is feather light but the way that it's designed, you can set it down without locking it at all AND it took less than 1 rotation to lock it.

I'm not trying to start a clone vs authentic thing here but you really do get what you pay for. I've spent hundreds on clone/cheap devices looking for that "perfect" vape but in all honesty, one good device has satisfied me for a long time...
Ok then a clone vs clone thread lol.
Sounds like you bought the wrong clones, never seen a plated nemesis before. Mine are stainless and brass and are identical thread for thread to the real one. Authentic parts are even interchangable.

And everyone knows the stingray is just a nemi copy produced for a fast buck. Several of the clones actually improved the design flaws.

Reactions: Bad Ninja

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
And everyone knows the stingray is just a nemi copy produced for a fast buck.

I have both authentic Nemesis mods and a Phantom Brass Stingray. Although I don't use them much anymore I always preferred the Stingray top cap over the Nemesis because no center pin adjustment is needed. The Stingray switch is different from the Nemesis and is great when it works but it's a PITA when it crunches from getting a little dirty. I agree that the Stingray is very similar to the Nemesis, and although JD Tech's previous mod was an exact copy (I forget the name), I feel that the Stingray is a bit different and not exactly a copy for a quick buck.

caboog78

ECF Veteran
Apr 4, 2015
Northwest, USA
I have two SMPL clones from Wotofo that I love. One SS and one in bright green, which I call Rave Green and use on Seattle Sounders match days :) Also have a Smok Magneto II with the greatest firing button I've ever used (granted, a short list). It telescopes out from 18350 size to 18650, so kinda neat. The SMPL mods are both 18650 sized, I typically run the Magneto with AW 18350's that have a 12 A CD rating. Samsung 25r's are my 18650 of choice for everything else

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
I have about a hundred mechs.

If I had to recommend one mechanical
Mod for a new user it would be the knurled king clone.
$15-20 get brass or copper.
Recessed button, reversed locking ring, solid copper contacts, built like a padlock, never misfires, has extremely low voltage drop, hits like Ike turner and can handle any build your battery can take. Fits all 3 common 18xxx batteries and
I have 4.
image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread