first death from e-cigs!??

Status
Not open for further replies.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I'm no physician, do lungs have folliculs ?, hair sprouts from these, might be referring to cilia. Something doesn't sound just right

Abstract
    Rationale: The mechanisms underlying formation of lung lymphoid follicles (LF) in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) are unknown. The chemokine receptor CXCR3 regulates immune responses in secondary lymphoid structures elsewhere in the body and is highly expressed by Th1 lymphocytes in the airway in COPD. Because chemokine receptors control inflammatory cell homing to inflamed tissue, we reasoned that CXCR3 may contribute to LF formation in COPD.

Objectives: We assessed the expression of CXCR3 and its ligands (IP-10/CXCL10, Mig/CXCL9, and ITAC/CXCL11) by LF cells in never-smokers, smokers without COPD, and subjects with COPD.

Methods: CXCR3, IP-10, Mig, and ITAC expression were assessed in lung sections from 46 subjects (never-smokers, smokers without COPD , and subjects with COPD in GOLD stages 1–4) by immunohistochemistry.

Measurements and Main Results: CXCR3-expressing T cells (CD8+ or CD4+) and B cells (CD20+) were topographically distributed at the follicle periphery and center, respectively. The percentage of immunohistochemically identified CXCR3+ cells increased progressively while proceeding from S through GOLD 3–4 (P < 0.01 for GOLD 3–4 vs. S). Moreover, the number of CXCR3+ follicular cells correlated inversely with FEV1 (r = 0.60). The CXCR3 ligands IP-10 and Mig were expressed by several cell types in and around the follicle, including CD68+ dendritic cells/ macrophages, airway epithelial cells, endothelial cells, and T and B cells.

Conclusions: These results suggest that LF form in the COPD lung by recruitment and/or retention of CXCR3-expressing T and B lymphocytes, which are attracted to the region through production of CXCR3 ligands IP-10 and Mig by lung structural and follicular cells.

Read More: An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

Last edited:

mattiem

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    I call facebook fantasy land and most of what you read there falls in that category. The story of the lady in question may have started out as a hangnail and morphed into death by oil in her vapor. :D I call this story bull and as Forest Gump would say "and that all I've got to say about that"

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    so i was on my facebook tonight..
    I call facebook fantasy land
    Isawit.jpg

Last edited:

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 14, 2012
    Dayton, Ohio
    Working in the b&m industry, you'd be surprised how many customers call e-liquid "oil".

"Hi, how are you? What can I do for you today?"
    "I'm here to pick up some more vials of oil."

I hear it called "oil" by average, every day customers all the time. Maybe half of our customers call it juice.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 19, 2014
    Ohio
    I've seen plenty of posts here from new members asking about some seriously inadvisable stuff. That's one thing that's always scared me. Some people, because they either don't want to go buy something, or maybe they can't afford it, or whatever, could decide to do a lot of things that could turn out really bad. And of course vaping would be blamed, even though what they're doing wouldn't technically be vaping.

Yep, we had one recently asking if s/he could vape olive oil :confused: Despite being warned repeatedly this was dangerous, that poster was convinced it was ok :( For all I know, this was that person.

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 21, 2013
    chattanooga, tn, usa
    Rocketpunk, time to do some "dramatic" education. :)

Customer: I'm here to pick up some more vials of oil.

You....with look of concern: What? Oil? We don't sell oil. Oil will damage your lungs. Bad stuff. We do sell ejuice/eliquid that has absolutely no oil in it. Please don't use oil of ANY kind. I want you to keep coming here! :)

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Rocketpunk, time to do some "dramatic" education. :)

Customer: I'm here to pick up some more vials of oil.

You....with look of concern: What? Oil? We don't sell oil. Oil will damage your lungs. Bad stuff. We do sell ejuice/eliquid that has absolutely no oil in it. Please don't use oil of ANY kind. I want you to keep coming here! :)

OR, just keep a case of 10W-30 on hand for them. ;)
    Did you want Pennzoil or Quaker State?

Belhade

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    New York (no, not the city)
    What exacerbates the issue is that some of the equipment has writing on or in the packaging, the "instructions", that use the term oil. I think the Goliath from UD says this. It's a language thing, I'm sure, but many people aren't going to know (or care) that Chinese products and clones will have some unfortunately poor translations.

Last edited:

mattiem

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Wow. Needs more information. Also can someone inform me why everyone was freaking out about breaking the link? Sometimes it makes no sense why everything is on lockdown and so many rules about things. Like what is the harm of posting a link that's not broken or a damn website link...
    Links are broken because this site doesn't want to help spread junk science or downright untrue things. If this is a true story it can be found with google.

Liskrig

ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2015
    MA, USA
    Wow. Needs more information. Also can someone inform me why everyone was freaking out about breaking the link? Sometimes it makes no sense why everything is on lockdown and so many rules about things. Like what is the harm of posting a link that's not broken or a damn website link...

Google has bots the constantly crawl the web associating links to specific keywords. Needless to say, ECF has quite a community with over 200,000 members and posting links that to not light us favorably will eventually tarnish the reputation of the forum.

Papillon61

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 22, 2015
    Sunshine Isle
    Yep, we had one recently asking if s/he could vape olive oil :confused: Despite being warned repeatedly this was dangerous, that poster was convinced it was ok :( For all I know, this was that person.

Might have been like-minded but not the same person. The person posting about vaping olive oil was in Germany.

Reactions: roxynoodle
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread