Status
Not open for further replies.

vkiwi

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2013
nz
www.vrwoodmods.co.nz
One more complete sitting on the tv cabinet with no home to go to... This one is slightly cheaper at 360NZD... It is the golden coloured Matai and silver beech burr piece, the fiddleback one is already spoken for.
bone finished 004.JPG
bone finished 006.JPG
bone finished 007.JPG

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
I use chalice 3, cyclones, and nuppin's basically 14 and 18 mm attys are my sweet spot. All I can say is the 510 peter uses on my sumpin never leaks and I don't ever run into squonking issues, but it is countersunk into the top cap and I do run an oring.

My only worry there is that over the long haul there is the possibility that juice can eventually get into the wood around the 510. Unless the top caps are made out of something other than wood I would rather have the protection of the 510 base catching any juice than the mod itself.

And honestly I think it's rude to post about someone else's mod in Vaughan's thread. I would never go to Peter's thread and post anything about the VR Wood Mod. It's just not right. JMHO

4nic8

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2010
Lake Mary, FL
Blue, I think your reading into my post as though I was saying there is something wrong with the 510 Vaughn has chosen to use, which I'm not. I was simply providing information, I am fine with whatever 510 he uses, that's why I asked to be put on the list before this conversation ever started. There was a question asked about other 510s and atty sizes, I mentioned "the other mod" so if someone more knowledgable than I knew which 510 was being used there they could give more info if it was asked for. I also mentioned it was counter sunk because that could negate that as even an option and thus he wouldn't even have to look into it. In terms of juice coming into contact, if it's finished with lacquer or CA then it's protected, unless you are cinnamon vapor or something like plaid that's corrosive then I wouldn't worry as it's pretty common, and I know based on a couple other mods that Both you and I have used in the past and may currently still use have this issue (although not made of wood).

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
Blue, I think your reading into my post as though I was saying there is something wrong with the 510 Vaughn has chosen to use, which I'm not. I was simply providing information, I am fine with whatever 510 he uses, that's why I asked to be put on the list before this conversation ever started. There was a question asked about other 510s and atty sizes, I mentioned "the other mod" so if someone more knowledgable than I knew which 510 was being used there they could give more info if it was asked for. I also mentioned it was counter sunk because that could negate that as even an option and thus he wouldn't even have to look into it. In terms of juice coming into contact, if it's finished with lacquer or CA then it's protected, unless you are cinnamon vapor or something like plaid that's corrosive then I wouldn't worry as it's pretty common, and I know based on a couple other mods that Both you and I have used in the past and may currently still use have this issue (although not made of wood).

If I misunderstood your post I apologize. As far as the sealed wood and the other type of 510, I would think it near impossible to get the 510 installed without some sort of scratching or marring of the finish. Then with the putting on and taking off of attys there is the real possibility over time of liquid finding it's way into the wood. In the short term it would not be noticeable, but over a period of years, with daily use, problems are likely to develop around the 510 area.

BobC

Reformed Squonker
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Downtown Charleston, SC
I agree with 4NIC8 on the recessed 510, I also do not use anything over 18mm, and would love it if it were an option, I'm not crazy about the pan on the pan sticking up over the wood, and in my experience, recessed with an o-ring works perfect, if you so choose to have it as an option

Reactions: Rossum

vkiwi

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2013
nz
www.vrwoodmods.co.nz
Thanks folks, obviously having 510 options is an important feature with so many different sizes of bf atty out there, I do understand after using a chalice clone for a few weeks and having exposed ss on the 510. I'll look into it. I guess I'll need to build myself a 'blasted oak mod with bone fill as a guinea pig to test it...

element77

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2012
Atl, Ga
I don't vape in a secret lair, my mods go with me everywhere.
I'm looking forward to something different and the protection built-in to this connection seems great. I have mods with recessed 510s and I do have lots of clean up from condensation. This should just make that an easier wipe. Those bone caps look smoother than glass!
I'm a fan of form follows function and this looks spot on

mommabird62

squonkhead
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
NC
I don't vape in a secret lair, my mods go with me everywhere.
I'm looking forward to something different and the protection built-in to this connection seems great. I have mods with recessed 510s and I do have lots of clean up from condensation. This should just make that an easier wipe. Those bone caps look smoother than glass!
I'm a fan of form follows function and this looks spot on

Thats exactly what I was thinking element. The bone caps will add some extra protection from any juice or condensation that sneaks in [emoji6] And look awesome at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk with my paws :)

Mommabird62

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread