Status
Not open for further replies.

OCD

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2012
California, Kern
www.ibtanked.com
Vapers need calipers folks. Almost every device out there comes with no specifications on size for any of its parts. For those that do list this information I commend them.

There are parts that over the lifetime of a device will need to be replaced, this would be small screws, orings and of course tank tube sections. You can also use them to identify wire gauge size for those who might have a mix of wire that is unlabeled.

Also by having calipers you can be sure your device is within that makers specification and that the device was properly designed for glass in the first place.

Many devices are just not designed for glass. Over the years we have been able to help folks to get glass fit onto some of these devices and some just could not be supported. Some makers design strictly for Metal and Plastic tank sections My advice is if you want to use glass dont buy those devices, if glass is not important then it doesnt matter but folks should be aware of this and hopefully before they spend a lot of money on a device.

Inexpensive digital calipers are available from Harbor Freight and other online sources for around $20 and they are surprisingly accurate. We suggest not getting the all plastic ones as they can easily deform giving false measurements, all of the ones we have used that have a metal slide and tangs though have been very close to our high end and much more expensive calipers. Please note that you should not try to measure the length of a battery using metal calipers as this would short the battery.

A device that seals on the ID (internal diameter) of the tank tube needs to have any metal part that goes inside of the tube sized a minimum of 0.25mm under the nominal glass ID. Nominal is the perfect world size something would be if there was no such thing as tolerance specifications. A tank with a 19mm ID should have no part that must go inside of the glass over 18.75mm for example.

We recently had one order of custom cut glass that did not fit, the customer had calipers and noted the glass was 0.20mm under size from nominal. The device he was trying to fit measured at just 0.05mm under the nominal ID of that glass. This particular device ships with a plastic tank so the maker of that device is certainly within their own design specification because they do not design for glass. We refunded this customer even though it was a custom order as we had not explained that glass production is not as precise as machining even from the best manufacturers. We have noted this information about tolerance on the custom cut to length pages now and from here on out it will be up to the customer to make sure their device is properly designed to use glass on it.

We are always happy to help manufacturers or customers in designing or measuring devices to access the fitting of glass, just ask.

Got Calipers?

OCD

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2012
California, Kern
www.ibtanked.com
Micrometers are indeed better for super accurate measurements but for our purposes calipers do the job. The cheapo digital ones with a stainless steel frame are good to thousandths of an inch or hundredths of a milometer and that will dial you in enough to identify just about any small part used in vaping.

Like the Tootle Puffer tagline, have to wonder what other tootlers think about all of the 0.1ohm and 150W+ mods? Is this good for vaping in general or could the leading edge be a bleeding cut? I just know that working on four years clear of making ashes and still completely content with a simple replacement it makes me wonder what the tipping point would be that gives power to the antz that would love to lump every piece of vaping gear together and burn it all.

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
I am a tootle puffer myself, and still enjoy a good carto and tank s/u of which I have several. Don't need no stinkin clouds. :) Even in my rebuildables I only build to 1.3 - 1.5Ω's. Unfortunately, I think, as with anything, there will be those that will take things to the max, and then some. IMHO to see this does not put vaping in a good light. I think that the tipping point has been reached. Fortunately we have not seen, or heard, of that many instances where someone has gotten themselves hurt from all the high power, and lack of battery knowledge.

OCD

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2012
California, Kern
www.ibtanked.com
The battery safety and folks knowing what they need to know to push that envelope is a big concern but the other part of it is the consumption side. This goes into all avenues with flavors and strengths of those flavors, amount of liquid vaped and of course the changes that happen during vaping with high heat.

All of those things play favorably for the light flavor tootle puffer. Long ago we settled on Flavor Arts Watermelon as our vape, well over three years now on this same flavor and last year I cut the strength in half down to 10% from 20%. Will probably be cutting it again, I can see where those folks who vape no flavor are coming from.

In the beginning we just wanted something to fill in for the old habit that was not as bad, now we are looking at making it even better for us so these things that throw flags as to running the other direction just dont present much attraction. Divine flavors and huge clouds were not what we wanted when smoking. The other upside to low power/light liquids is things just last longer, batteries, liquid and cartomizers all suffer less wear and tear when not being pushed. The cartomizer I am vaping right now has been in this tank for a month now and my vaping is consistent at 3 to 4mls a day. I have thought about changing it a few times over the last week or so but just end up refilling it and it keeps going.

Reactions: oplholik
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread