DNA 200 Watt

Status
Not open for further replies.

MegaVap

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2010
Texas, US of A
@TheBloke if you get it running I'll get you this bad boy.

jojokok.jpg

Darkly spectr

ECF Veteran
Sep 9, 2014
Belgium
I was thinking fill the mod case with it prior to installing anything, let dry, then remove and carve out space for all the internal parts and battery..... Should also proved some protection to parts and battery should you drop the mod. Might need to leave a good amount of air space around the top side of the chip for cooling purposes though

Well I would section off the battery compartment since I think foam all around the chip is not that good. but I guess that is a pretty good idea. but how hard does it hold heat. if this thing causes the battery to get super hot we aren't off any better since your mod's lid will still blow off from the pressure of the flame thrower of doom.

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj
haha then you'd have to worry if you ...... someone off on the forum hacking your settings:sneaky:.....oh my firewall and antiviri for ecigs:shock:
We can actually do that now with his desktop bench rig. All we need is his IP address!(and google earth to track the mushroom cloud)

Last edited:

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
Well I would section off the battery compartment since I think foam all around the chip is not that good. but I guess that is a pretty good idea. but how hard does it hold heat. if this thing causes the battery to get super hot we aren't off any better since your mod's lid will still blow off from the pressure of the flame thrower of doom.
Could always Swiss cheese it some :p

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj
Crap! I was actually planning to use that thin anti flame sheet that plumbers use when soldering copper up by the joists to prevent the house burning down, as a battery wrap around 5 sides of the LiPo & perfing bottom plate but now you got me thinking it might be a bad idea. Perhaps aluminum heat sink battery case on 5 sides wrapped with the plumbers sheet? -- I'd lose my expansion tolerance. Have to fall back on insulating the board, my face, and hand, then trusty reflexes to save the rest of me. Fortunately I chose an Aluminum case.

Last edited:

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj
But if you can't dissipate the heat generated, it is a bad thing. I'm gonna add an aluminum wall insulated on board side between board and battery extending on an L shape to cover battery compartment top. That gives me a heat sink on 4 sides with and open vent on 5th & allows pre planned insulation for face & hand.

Last edited:

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
A couple of thin cuts of adhesive backed weather strip from a hardware store applied in several places on the LiPo would provide isolation and anti-rattle without affecting heat dissipation from the battery. It would still allow expansion and contraction of the cells and it would be very cheap.

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj
A couple of thin cuts of adhesive backed weather strip from a hardware store applied in several places on the LiPo would provide isolation and anti-rattle without affecting heat dissipation from the battery. It would still allow expansion and contraction of the cells and it would be very cheap.
Do you mean insulated weatherstripping tape or the aluminum foil tape they use in HVAC applications as the latter makes more sense to me personally on a thermal basis after a DarklySpectur embarked a thought that ruined my visions of a well laid plan. That HVAC Tape might be an excellent addition to a layered precautionary defense especially for the 3d printing plans others will employ. Thank you for the thought! I like it!

No one believes we will ever hit the point where one of these Will light off on us but our designs should incorporate a plan to handle the eventuality of a possible failure.

In the Beta Mods Evolve machined the base joint to vent and break away in event of a failure.
krvvz.jpg

Common sense.

Last edited:

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj
Last edited:

HolmanGT

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
St. George, UT USA
When I look it says US $6.99 what are you looking at that cost $30 dollars

PS - for $6.99 you get enough to do 30 batteries. Beside shop a little there are a Gazillion people selling the stuff in different sizes and shapes. Gee!!! There is one guy selling it for $2 buck.

Reactions: druckle

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
At a certain c rating it wont matter what you try to insulate with, it will cut thru even the lipo bag etc. like it wasn't even there.
Buy a well research cell and your good to go.. Just know ~10 amps can cut thru a 1/4" of steel or take a huge chunk out of a screwdriver lol.. Be careful building is most certainty..
Some 3s lipos are 200amp rated :shock::evil:

HolmanGT

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
St. George, UT USA
At a certain c rating it wont matter what you try to insulate with, it will cut thru even the lipo bag etc. like it wasn't even there.
Buy a well research cell and your good to go.. Just know ~10 amps can cut thru a 1/4" of steel or take a huge chunk out of a screwdriver lol.. Be careful building is most certainty..
Some 3s lipos are 200amp rated :shock::evil:

There not looking to insulate anything they just want to hold the battery in place and not interfere with the heat radiation from the battery to prevent the battery from over heating.

Reactions: druckle

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
I wasn't thinking of anything expensive or fancy, just something to provide electrical isolation from the case, shock absorption, positive placement that doesn't allow the battery to rattle, allows expansion and contraction room without a lot of pressure, and allow no restriction to cooling. Something cheap like this:

Shop Frost King 0.375-in x 17-ft Gray Foam Door Weatherstrip at Lowes.com

Just 2 pieces front and back lengthwise to the battery and maybe 1 on each side. In essence easily suspend the battery in the battery cavity area. Not a big deal, but would probably easily do the job. And did I mention cheap? I like cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread