IPV 4 big problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gangemi

Jun 11, 2015
I have a IPV4 and using 2x 18650 3.7v 2500mAh samsung batteries, i was holding my vape in my hand didnt hit it for 10 mins, feel it start heating up and smell a plastic burning smell took the batteries out immediately.

Only thing i can think of is my mutation x v4 has been leaking so much it leaked through where the pin is.

Could it have exploded if i didnt take the batteries out? Dont want to put the batteries back in not sure if i should by a new mod or what

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
Ive heard reports of the battery charging board being too close to the battery contact connections inside the unit and can be a potential short issue ( which fries the battery charging board)... there are/is a youtube video showing how to remove it to prevent any shorting issues.... ( dont remember the maker or name of the video)

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
Ive heard reports of the battery charging board being too close to the battery contact connections inside the unit and can be a potential short issue ( which fries the battery charging board)... there are/is a youtube video showing how to remove it to prevent any shorting issues.... ( dont remember the maker or name of the video)
Nyiddle posted a psa warning about this, could be the charging board just needs more insulation between it and the 510 connection. I still haven't decided if I'm going to remove the board which I never intend to use or just take the easy route an throw some black tape on it... I don't like messin with electronics...

Reactions: Hans Wermhat

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
Nyiddle posted a psa warning about this, could be the charging board just needs more insulation between it and the 510 connection. I still haven't decided if I'm going to remove the board which I never intend to use or just take the easy route an throw some black tape on it... I don't like messin with electronics...

hambone0424

ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2015
Pittsburgh,PA
Yea my ipv4 couldnt read a steady resistance would only fire sometimes took it back to shop has warranty no problems with exchange for a new 1 but i opted out and they actually gave me an evic not 100 watts but has temp control and was around the same price plus i have other high watt device but it could be ur charge port has bad insulation thats a problem thats been going on i would check if ur warranty is still in effect n get something new or at replacement

Gangemi

Jun 11, 2015
Went to my local vape shop, told me if juice went into that hole that goes through the plastic cover it could fry it, took it apart notices a little juice on the computer boards, and juice was slowly leaking past week or so from the 10 little vent holes on the bottom.

Will upload a picture of the damage for the .... of it.

Read the warranty, its no good for juice damage

Last edited:

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA

Gangemi

Jun 11, 2015
On your second picture, it looks like your charging board is missing the plastic insulator disk that is supposed to be attached to the board where that white wire goes to the board. That insulator protects the board from shorting against the 510 connector.

Interesting, think that was the cause of this? Or juice seeping through that hole, only thing i did was snip the wires in the first pic for a better picture.

Just hope this .... happens again while driving, im glad i had it in my hand felt it warming up and removed the batteries, guessing it could have caught on fire

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
Interesting, think that was the cause of this? Or juice seeping through that hole, only thing i did was snip the wires in the first pic for a better picture.

Just hope this .... happens again while driving, im glad i had it in my hand felt it warming up and removed the batteries, guessing it could have caught on fire
This is the picture of mine (well, it was mine until I PIF'ed it).
Screenshot_2015-06-21-10-19-20.jpg

The top circle shows a bit of the insulator disk. It is round and looks like a pie with a piece cut out of it. I rolled up a wad of electrical tape and inserted it between the charging board and the 510 pin for some extra security. Also the second circle shows the insulator that is between the bottom of the board and the screw post. While some speculate that the charging board is shorting against the 510 pin thereby causing it to fry, others are speculating that the insulator between the bottom of the charging board and the screw post is moving or falling out allowing the board to short against the screw post causing it to fry. People have gone to cutting the wires and removing the charging board altogether to prevent it from shorting out.

FWIW, juice (VG and PG) is nonconductive so getting juice in there shouldn't be shorting the board out. Suck My Mod did a video where he literally dripped something like 10 or 15 mls of juice directly onto the circuit boards to the point where it was dripping out of the mod and it never shorted out.

Gangemi

Jun 11, 2015
This is the picture of mine (well, it was mine until I PIF'ed it).
View attachment 468492
The top circle shows a bit of the insulator disk. It is round and looks like a pie with a piece cut out of it. I rolled up a wad of electrical tape and inserted it between the charging board and the 510 pin for some extra security. Also the second circle shows the insulator that is between the bottom of the board and the screw post. While some speculate that the charging board is shorting against the 510 pin thereby causing it to fry, others are speculating that the insulator between the bottom of the charging board and the screw post is moving or falling out allowing the board to short against the screw post causing it to fry. People have gone to cutting the wires and removing the charging board altogether to prevent it from shorting out.

FWIW, juice (VG and PG) is nonconductive so getting juice in there shouldn't be shorting the board out. Suck My Mod did a video where he literally dripped something like 10 or 15 mls of juice directly onto the circuit boards to the point where it was dripping out of the mod and it never shorted out.

Hmm, good to know, so is this a problem with the IPV4? Guy at the shop said theres been alot of problems with them, but must not know much since he said juice would fry it

Got the IPV4 like 3 weeks ago, already ....ed up going to check out that video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread