Boxer Mod Dual 18650 Yihi 350J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madnapali

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2009
Northeast Ohio, USA
Me dunno. Let's say he uses a 1000 mAh Turnigy Nano-tech 3S LiPo. The battery itself requires 77x35x17. Two 18650s require 65x36x18. So the main difference is 12mm or .2" of height. So we can say size-wise this is a relatively fair comparison.

Next, let's compare those batteries in Watt-Hours. The Turnigy does 1000 mAh at 11.1 V, which is 11.1 Wh. My HG2s are 3000 mAh at 3.7 V, which in series is at 7.4 V and gives 22.2 Wh.

Now, one can argue that 18650s can't perform at 3000 mAH at their C-rating, which is true, but at the same time it's only about a 10~15% reduction, not 50%. Even if you assume a whopping 33% reduction, the dual 18650s still give 14.8 Wh.

Consequently, since I already have an sx350j Boxer that will last longer than a DNA200 version using a 1000 mAh LiPo, I don't see much need for it.
One of the reasons I'm not excited for it. The other main reason being that Evolv has let me down a few times already. I actually live about an hour from their office and have thought about driving down there to pitch a fit lol.

dr3d

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2015
Texas Gulf Coast
Ordered a black since it was in stock. White would get too dirty if you ask me and pink is a no go. Really wish distressed grey wasn't as far off as it is on their website.

Placed order last night. Got invoice 9 AM but no shipping today :(

Funny they told you it was in stock. Actually a bit distressing. I ordered black two days ago knowing it was out of stock. ETA for shipment including black was Thursday. Mine hasn't shipped either, but I'm hoping it ships tomorrow so I can have it layed out on the workbench Monday.

TKS

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2015
Funny they told you it was in stock. Actually a bit distressing. I ordered black two days ago knowing it was out of stock. ETA for shipment including black was Thursday. Mine hasn't shipped either, but I'm hoping it ships tomorrow so I can have it layed out on the workbench Monday.
Told me? It says in stock?

dr3d

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2015
Texas Gulf Coast
Told me? It says in stock?

Ok ... I opened the chat window and asked the keyboard on their end. There is advise on the order screen to contact them regarding color availability via chat or email before ordering. I ordered the kit, but I do see that the website says the black and white completed mods are in stock.

If they are, in fact, in stock ... the person on the other keyboard surely didn't answer my query regarding black availability well. She indicated they had sold out to a large order earlier in the day. The correct answer would have been they don't have black kits, but they did have black mods ... she might have converted me 'cause I hate the waiting part.

Bird Dog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Ohio
Anyone have issues when trying to reach 150 watts on their boxes? I rarely go over 20 watts but decided to take it up to 150 earlier without a tank attached when I was just messing around in the menu. The first time It went to 122 and stopped. I thought it froze on me so I restarted it and tried again and this time it went to 144 and stopped. I noticed it froze again for a moment but then realized it was actually at 150 watts because when I pressed down 7 times it started to move the wattage down again. Is this a known issue with the chip or is there something wrong with the one I received?

TKS

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2015
Ok ... just for the guy keeping score ... just got the shipping notice text ... she's on her way. The signature confirmation is a downer ... that'll prolly add 2 days to me actually having it in my hands.

Nothing for me it seems >_>

Anyone have issues when trying to reach 150 watts on their boxes? I rarely go over 20 watts but decided to take it up to 150 earlier without a tank attached when I was just messing around in the menu. The first time It went to 122 and stopped. I thought it froze on me so I restarted it and tried again and this time it went to 144 and stopped. I noticed it froze again for a moment but then realized it was actually at 150 watts because when I pressed down 7 times it started to move the wattage down again. Is this a known issue with the chip or is there something wrong with the one I received?

Battery levels may be the issues, try with fresh charged ones and tell us how that goes. Also did you pre-build it or ?

Last edited:

Yozhik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2015
Chicago, IL

Maybe it was the way you were holding it? If you were in the menu system, the chip uses the gravity sensor to adjust. My DYI chip has no problem going to 120W. I'd have to change the firmware to go to 150, which is more hassle than it's worth.

Bird Dog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Ohio
Maybe it was the way you were holding it? If you were in the menu system, the chip uses the gravity sensor to adjust. My DYI chip has no problem going to 120W. I'd have to change the firmware to go to 150, which is more hassle than it's worth.

I had the sensor turned off. It did it in the menu and when I adjusted it outside the menu as well.

dannyben

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2014
USA
I'm still waiting for the DNA200. I talked with Ginger Vaper and they're working on one.

Me dunno. Let's say he uses a 1000 mAh Turnigy Nano-tech 3S LiPo. The battery itself requires 77x35x17. Two 18650s require 65x36x18. So the main difference is 12mm or .2" of height. So we can say size-wise this is a relatively fair comparison.

Next, let's compare those batteries in Watt-Hours. The Turnigy does 1000 mAh at 11.1 V, which is 11.1 Wh. My HG2s are 3000 mAh at 3.7 V, which in series is at 7.4 V and gives 22.2 Wh.

Now, one can argue that 18650s can't perform at 3000 mAH at their C-rating, which is true, but at the same time it's only about a 10~15% reduction, not 50%. Even if you assume a whopping 33% reduction, the dual 18650s still give 14.8 Wh.

Consequently, since I already have an sx350j Boxer that will last longer than a DNA200 version using a 1000 mAh LiPo, I don't see much need for it.

One of the reasons I'm not excited for it. The other main reason being that Evolv has let me down a few times already. I actually live about an hour from their office and have thought about driving down there to pitch a fit lol.

Well said @Yozhik and @Madnapali . Not to turn this into a E vs. Y debate, but they sure do have a lot to prove before they gain back consumer confidence.

Personally, I wouldn't even consider anything but a yihi chip. It does everything and does it perfectly. No need for 200W (although Im sure yihi will match that within a week -- they already do on a lesser chip), and the LiPo is certainly a negative.

dannyben

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2014
USA

Sounds like a battery issue.

What kind of batteries do you have in there and where they almost dead?

dannyben

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2014
USA
^

O.D. fanboy.

Sure am. One with no allegiance. Will hop on the bandwagon of whatever is best / works better.
Was an iPhone fanboy for years and now an Android one.
E produces another DNA40 fiasco here and they will go the same way as Oldsmobile.
Im routing for them. Competition and choice is good.

TKS

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2015
Comments like a device that does everything perfectly/lipo's are a negative is hard to swallow.

The first is a fallacy since there are firmware updates to fix bugs to which there were numerous hicups. Also something that cant be fixed is the PWM using Temp mode, so theres that.

The second is also false, considering LiPo's are a much better performing battery and have more market maturation since they were being used a lot in RC vehicles and such, and we don't have to have a scientist perform tests to see if we have an authentic battery like with 18650's and the counterfeit market it has.. Also for the power user, a LiPo is a godsend. Not everyone vapes at 10W etc....

Heespharm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2014
Htown,tx
Comments like a device that does everything perfectly/lipo's are a negative is hard to swallow.

The first is a fallacy since there are firmware updates to fix bugs to which there were numerous hicups. Also something that cant be fixed is the PWM using Temp mode, so theres that.

The second is also false, considering LiPo's are a much better performing battery and have more market maturation since they were being used a lot in RC vehicles and such, and we don't have to have a scientist perform tests to see if we have an authentic battery like with 18650's and the counterfeit market it has.. Also for the power user, a LiPo is a godsend. Not everyone vapes at 10W etc....

BUT you don't have to wait if your battery runs out in your mod.... You can just pop a fresh 18650 in a mod and go... The fan boys are the only people who say " yeah I don't mind waiting for charging"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: dannyben
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread