Rat!! Love those anniversaries!

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
Just a note, and if you've already purchased, please disregard:
Both of the Toshiba C55 models that CR has evaluated are noted to be especially slow and are not recommended by CR.

I'm definitely thinking of getting one of the refurbed Lenovo Thinkpads from Office Depot (same website).

As with most things, a consumer must weigh value / price / their personal needs / etc .. and in the event of disappointment, falling back on the store return policy is there if needed .. :)

I'll riff a little on PC's / Laptops .. I am not a fan of tablets .. I believe they are overpriced and based on how a tablet comes equipped, a laptop is the far better alternative for many reasons .. now, a tablet is more sexy than a laptop, sure, but that's about where things end .. I don't personally much use a Laptop for anything more than Web browsing, email, sometimes a video, music playback, etc .. lightweight stuff, IOW

My definition of a good value is, using the Toshiba as an example, if I drop 200 clams on the unit, keep it in good condition / save box and docs and feel sure I can sell it in 12 months for $150.00 after restoring it to factory config, it's a good value, since it cost me a tad over 4 bucks a month to own it .. tech is disposable these days .. that's one of the draws of a basic machine .. the higher end you go, the greater the depreciation is .. but I can guarantee that this machine will bring $150 minimum after using it a year ..

Lastly, with most things, there is good, better, best .. having been an audio nut since the 1960's and having bought my first PC in about 1982 .. the debate that goes on in a consumers head has probably been around since the first wheel was invented .. "Should I get that basic wheel or should I spring another 50 shells for the wheel that is made of walnut instead of oak .." .. both wheels do the same thing .. it always boils down to personal choice and will it fit your needs .. a consumer should spend what they can afford to spend based on their expected use of a product ..

And don't even get me started on audio / video gear .. ;)

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Since my vaping is in such a good place, that is the real reason I come here. Virtual contact will never be better than human, but it is much better than nothing. . . . . You are not ever invisible here. We care and miss you when you are not here.
tender.gif
Thank you!

I learned as a child that it was safer to be invisible. But, it's also lonely. I don't want to be invisible anymore!
Rat2chat2 said:
Went to bed before 12 and woke up at 7. If I didn't know better, I'd say I'm like a normal person.
Normal? Who wants to be normal?

oldbroad

don't need no dang title..I'm queen of the world!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2009
Lower Mich.
But we are still alive, young at heart, dumb, and definitely full of fun still... Aint gonna change - the body may age, but my heart and soul stay as young as I want it to be...
I think you've described me pretty well also....didn't understand, when I was young, that ole folks still had fun!

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
Thank you!

I learned as a child that it was safer to be invisible. But, it's also lonely. I don't want to be invisible anymore!

I am constantly torn between invisibility and loneliness. That is quotable.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
As with most things, a consumer must weigh value / price / their personal needs / etc .. and in the event of disappointment, falling back on the store return policy is there if needed .. :)

I'll riff a little on PC's / Laptops .. I am not a fan of tablets .. I believe they are overpriced and based on how a tablet comes equipped, a laptop is the far better alternative for many reasons .. now, a tablet is more sexy than a laptop, sure, but that's about where things end .. I don't personally much use a Laptop for anything more than Web browsing, email, sometimes a video, music playback, etc .. lightweight stuff, IOW

My definition of a good value is, using the Toshiba as an example, if I drop 200 clams on the unit, keep it in good condition / save box and docs and feel sure I can sell it in 12 months for $150.00 after restoring it to factory config, it's a good value, since it cost me a tad over 4 bucks a month to own it .. tech is disposable these days .. that's one of the draws of a basic machine .. the higher end you go, the greater the depreciation is .. but I can guarantee that this machine will bring $150 minimum after using it a year ..

Lastly, with most things, there is good, better, best .. having been an audio nut since the 1960's and having bought my first PC in about 1982 .. the debate that goes on in a consumers head has probably been around since the first wheel was invented .. "Should I get that basic wheel or should I spring another 50 shells for the wheel that is made of walnut instead of oak .." .. both wheels do the same thing .. it always boils down to personal choice and will it fit your needs .. a consumer should spend what they can afford to spend based on their expected use of a product ..

And don't even get me started on audio / video gear .. ;)

And then there's the people who buy Apple computers. :rolleyes:

(Dislaimer - not flaming Apple folks, I'm one)

oldbroad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2009
Lower Mich.
Oooops - I missed that...

Happy Anniversary Rat...

Umm... is my brain in short-circuit mode again?! I thought Tory said that she celebratED her 32 anni.?

If I'm wrong ( how unusual:)) well then...Happy Anniversary to you ,Tory and your hubby!

Last edited:

oldbroad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2009
Lower Mich.
Thank you!

Then you are a prime candidate for the hangout!!!!:)

amoret

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Sharon, ND, USA
I actually prefer my tiny bathroom. So convenient to put my feet up on the door jam and do whatever electronics I take with me. The vent is right beside me and I will admit I sometimes have to put on a sweater. bahahahaha
girl_haha.gif

My bathroom is small enough that I can wash my hands before I stand up. :D Which is generally good, since I can always touch something for my balance issues. It is going to be a problem when I go home, since there is no room for a transfer bench for the tub, and there will be no way I can get in for a shower. :( But it is handy for sponge baths.

Just a note, and if you've already purchased, please disregard:
Both of the Toshiba C55 models that CR has evaluated are noted to be especially slow and are not recommended by CR.

I'm definitely thinking of getting one of the refurbed Lenovo Thinkpads from Office Depot (same website).

We got a Lenovo think pad for Jim, and it was way slower than my Acer aspire. It also came with more bloatware. Both were about equivalent on paper. So I'll keep plugging the Acer. One difference was that mine has an AMD processor and the Lenovo ThinkPad had an Intel.

garyoa1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Tried the imac a few yars back wen they put an intel in it. Not a fan. Had a 3 year old pc that ran rings around it. Never looked back.

Now as far as prices... sorry but there is no way in "heck" that you can tell me a $750+ phone costs more than $50 or so to build.

Wolfenstark

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Perth , Australia
HDMI on your laptop as mentioned is good for watching shows on your big screen tv.
I do it every night. Actually watch them sped up to say 1.4 - 1.7 times speed. Depending on your application for watching video.
On mac I use VLC mostly.
You don't notice the difference and enables you to watch shows in less time.

oldbroad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2009
Lower Mich.
Robotic leg add ons .. they do the walking for you .. :)

hmm... every left step I'd be falling over...

oh wait...I studied the pic a little more...they have them on each leg:rolleyes:

and aren't they a little young to be so lazy?!

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
hmm... every left step I'd be falling over...

I'm pretty sure, like a Segway, the units have built in gyroscopes .. Mike and Janet can tell you all about Segways (you two didn't think I remembered that story.. ;))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread