Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
This $19.50 EA-II Mechanical Mod - red ring / 510 telescopic pin at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping even though it can't be kicked easily, is indestructible. I like my inexpensive FT mods. All parts on most Nemeses are replaceable. Once you get batteries and a charger, the inexpensive mechs are a much better option than the ones with built-in batteries. Why buy something with internal electronics when all you need to do is drip in a kick (which is replaceable)?

I have the EHPro version of that, and it kicks fine with an 18650.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
Is that so?

I always thought it was the electronics in mods that monitored the batt and shut down at low voltage not the batt monitoring itself for low voltage.
Yep, he sure fouled up what he meant to say, lol.

I dropped Num-num (Nemesis) yesterday. I had three magnets in her, one of which was already broken. Another broke in the fall. Put the spring back in. With the magnets, I can stand her up without firing. With the spring, I can't. There were several other things damaged in the fall, but I got them all fixed.

I discovered, however, that the lock ring only needs to be turned a little bit for the difference between firing and not firing, so all is good.
Oh no! Poor Num-num. :cry:

This $19.50 EA-II Mechanical Mod - red ring / 510 telescopic pin at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping even though it can't be kicked easily, is indestructible. I like my inexpensive FT mods. All parts on most Nemeses are replaceable. Once you get batteries and a charger, the inexpensive mechs are a much better option than the ones with built-in batteries. Why buy something with internal electronics when all you need to do is drip in a kick (which is replaceable)?
Well, er, because some of like other types of mods? But, at this point in the game, everybody should have a couple of fairly indestructible mods in their collection even if they're just sitting there in their packaging.

Petition is up to 16,826 :) Slow and steady wins the race.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
Thanks Tutu, for your good wishes for Num-num. She is doing fine, now.

So...
I am expecting an ohms meter and a spare base in a few days. I am still pre-coiling. My plan is to play around with builds, do the dry-firing bit, and see if I can get a dual going. I plan on doing the dry-firing bit with the whole collection of coils, maybe even pre-wick them, not snipping the extra wire. Anyone ever do this? I would think it is essential for doing the dual thing. What is the advantage of duals over singles, when total ohms are the same?

Then, I will order another Nemesis, and retire La Vamitresse, to keep as backup mod and ohms meter. She is just too tall, my unkicked telescopic and kicked Nemesis have spoiled me.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
For anyone interested in Ti wire the upgrade is out. It is still a test upgrade but you can get it at yihisxmini.com. Evidently they feel comfortable enough with it to actually put it out on their site. Several people have been using the Beta version but this is the first one that is actually put out for the general public.

Wolfenstark

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Perth , Australia
Dual coils well meant to give you more vapour and therefore more flavour due to increase in volume.
1Ω single = 1Ω , for 1Ω dual coil you would have two 2Ω coils.
Though I find with dual coils you usually go lower than 1Ω total to keep from having too many wraps.
Say using 26 gauge a 1Ω dual coil at 2.5mm would be two coils at 16-17 wraps.
Go down to 0.5Ω and its two coils at 7-8 wraps.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
I am expecting an ohms meter and a spare base in a few days. I am still pre-coiling. My plan is to play around with builds, do the dry-firing bit, and see if I can get a dual going. I plan on doing the dry-firing bit with the whole collection of coils, maybe even pre-wick them, not snipping the extra wire. Anyone ever do this? I would think it is essential for doing the dual thing. What is the advantage of duals over singles, when total ohms are the same?

Then, I will order another Nemesis, and retire La Vamitresse, to keep as backup mod and ohms meter. She is just too tall, my unkicked telescopic and kicked Nemesis have spoiled me.

Pre-coil and wick? Not me.

No particular reason not to wind a few coils ahead of time, just not my style. But pre-wicking... still have to trim once installed. And I use my coil tool (2mm dia. jewelers screwdriver) to hold the coil stable while mounting to the posts, not possible if the wick is in. (And, with rayon, getting it snug enough on a loose coil would be, uh, problematic :facepalm: )

If building for a dual coil topper, just make two with exactly the same number of wraps to twice what your desired final resistance is.

More surface area with duals, so more vapor. And go through more juice...

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
Still not getting consistent coils, and it takes a bit for them to "settle down". I won't fool with wicking the precoils, then. The spare will definitely do for a quick switch, though.

Juice is cheap, especially with low nic and the switch to low flavoring.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Just takes some practice, 0MG.

What are you winding on? I understand some of the "coilers" just pull the kanthal in, but if winding on a straight shaft (screwdriver, etc), I like to anneal the wire first, then keep the same tension on it as I wrap. Compress while still on the shaft - which should yield an evenly spaced coil. Mount on the base, double check Ωs, and either test fire or fire then compress for that style coil.

If winding on a screw, just pull the wire snugly into the thread with each wrap.

If you're keeping the same tension while winding, and the same number of turns, any slight variation can be adjusted out with the tail that goes under the screw.

bigbells

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2013
60 mi east of Raleigh NC
soledoubtshow.com
Well, been experimenting with my Flavor Art selections. I tried Mango for the first time - did not impress, but when I used it as an accent flavor to a Rum base - good to vape - just a bit of twang and changing flavors...
I was doing really good and had gotten down to a manageable inventory of flavors by giving away many bottles to fellow Porchers.

Then somebody pointed out a 40% off sale on TFA flavors at ecigexpress. Fortunately, when I went to the site, there did not appear to be any TFA flavors. Unfortunately, I opened my mouth about it and was told that their Signature line was actually TFA. Fortunately, there did not appear to be any 40% discount. Unfortunately, I opened my mouth about it and the code was given.

So, 24 x 10ml bottles of flavors are headed my way. All of them are flavors I've never tried but believe that I'll like, and if there are any that rock my world, I'll order larger quantities direct from TFA.

Uh, THANK YOU to the kind soul(s) who provided the info about the sale. :)

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
Making the coils ahead of time is part of my regimen of perfecting the process. I am having problems with the
Master_Coiler1_medium.jpg
, the end in the hole keeps getting used as the coil is wound. I may secure it with a clamp, so that I can hold the end under the screw tighter. I may go back to annealing, but I was told it didn't have to be done if you are using a jig-tool.

Many times I have ended up with a pile of loops.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Thanks Tutu, for your good wishes for Num-num. She is doing fine, now.

So...

You got some good answer already - mainly dual's are for cloud chasers building sub-ohm coils. If you build a dual coil setup at 1+ ohms (actually 2 1+ ohm coils) you have a lot of wire to heat up. Not good w/ a mech.

Making the coils ahead of time is part of my regimen of perfecting the process. I am having problems with the
Master_Coiler1_medium.jpg
, the end in the hole keeps getting used as the coil is wound. I may secure it with a clamp, so that I can hold the end under the screw tighter. I may go back to annealing, but I was told it didn't have to be done if you are using a jig-tool.

Many times I have ended up with a pile of loops.

0mg - I've used that type. I cut a 6-8 inch piece of Kanthal. Put a good inch through the hole and hold it tight with my thumb. Then I 'easily' spin the top section with no pressure pushing toward the base part of the tool. Gently spin the top section and allow the tension/spring-y-ness of the wire to help push the top section of the tool away from the bottom so the coils don't overlap.

I wind 1 or 2 more wraps then 'desired'. Remove the coil from the tool completely to get the 1 leg out from the hole. Then put it back on and unwrap 1 or 2 from the end that was inside the hole of the long section. I get a more symmetric coil doing this as sometimes the coil wrap/wraps closet to the leg that was in the 'hole' is a bit unruly.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
0mg - I've used that type. I cut a 6-8 inch piece of Kanthal. Put a good inch through the hole and hold it tight with my thumb. Then I 'easily' spin the top section with no pressure pushing toward the base part of the tool. Gently spin the top section and allow the tension/spring-y-ness of the wire to help push the top section of the tool away from the bottom so the coils don't overlap.

I wind 1 or 2 more wraps then 'desired'. Remove the coil from the tool completely to get the 1 leg out from the hole. Then put it back on and unwrap 1 or 2 from the end that was inside the hole of the long section. I get a more symmetric coil doing this as sometimes the coil wrap/wraps closet to the leg that was in the 'hole' is a bit unruly.
OK! Thank you! Less control is better. I thought I needed more. Just my personality I guess. :blush:

yiddleboge6

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2012
PA
I was doing really good and had gotten down to a manageable inventory of flavors by giving away many bottles to fellow Porchers.

Then somebody pointed out a 40% off sale on TFA flavors at ecigexpress. Fortunately, when I went to the site, there did not appear to be any TFA flavors. Unfortunately, I opened my mouth about it and was told that their Signature line was actually TFA. Fortunately, there did not appear to be any 40% discount. Unfortunately, I opened my mouth about it and the code was given.

So, 24 x 10ml bottles of flavors are headed my way. All of them are flavors I've never tried but believe that I'll like, and if there are any that rock my world, I'll order larger quantities direct from TFA.

Teeheehee.....I'm soooo bad.....another sale...40% off flavors and NIC !!! :)

INDEPENDENCE DAY SALE! 40% DIY FLAVORS AND UNFLAVORED NICOTINE! | E-Cigarette Forum

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains

Teeheehee.....I'm soooo bad.....another sale...40% off flavors and NIC !!! :)

INDEPENDENCE DAY SALE! 40% DIY FLAVORS AND UNFLAVORED NICOTINE! | E-Cigarette Forum
Thanks for laugh (and info.)! :lol: Did nearly snort a tortilla chip though. I've lost track, someone please refresh my memory; how's their nic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread