RDA Sad day for my Gaia RDA (rusty) looking for advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SleeZy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2014
Sweden
Heya!

So my beloved Gaia which has been in use for nearly 1 year now, started to rust due i didn't use it for maybe 2 weeks while i had it coiled/wicked/filled.

So today when i wanted to rebuild it, i noticed something rusty. I thought it was juice at first. So i did my regular cleaning of it and then it all came through even more.

I suspect it's the screws that did rust seeing as the posts is SS.

So my question is, is it possible to clean this to a workable state somehow? Or should i just retire it?
KpcKJ5D.jpg

It was cheap so it doesn't realy matter but it was my favorite dripper. :-/

Edit: Might have solved it, someone suggested a iso bath for the rda itself, and i found new pair of screws to use. So there is hope! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Zamibe

Gummy Bare

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
San Diego, California
Kinda hard to see from the picture, but when I get something that rusts on me I tend to throw it out. Stainless steel can and will rust in the right conditions (especially China stuff made in a large factory with tons of other things being made in and around the same area). The screws could have been the first to rust, but it could have spread to the posts due to the close proximity (threaded areas love to rust).

I have a original Russian %91 rust on me. The rust was on the threading of the chimneys bottom section were it screwed onto the deck. The deck threads rusted as well.

If it's something cheap and you can pick up another one, I'd go ahead and do that. You on want rust creeping down your coils and onto your cotton. I'm sure there's people in here that will say keep it and vape it anyway, but my OCD wouldn't allow me to keep it around and use it.

There are a few methods you can try to remove rust if it's just surface rust. A cleaner called CLR is one of them. Here's a web page that goes over some more common house hold way. 8 Ways to Remove Rust from Metal - wikiHow

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
That is terrible! I have never seen anything like that form an authentic atty. I imagine it is authentic since you didn't mention it being otherwise. Who is the manufacturer of this RDA?

He mentioned a couple of weeks left out and wicked/juiced. SS can still corrode, especially lower grades. I'm with GummyBare, if the iso bath doesn't fix it to your satisfaction, toss and replace. If it's good steel, though, chances are high that it's just surface rust thanks to the screws.

SleeZy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2014
Sweden
That is terrible! I have never seen anything like that form an authentic atty. I imagine it is authentic since you didn't mention it being otherwise. Who is the manufacturer of this RDA?

I don't think the Gaia is a clone but it's a cheap china made atty. I bought it from FT, it has served me very well. And it still does! :)
It was the screws fault i suspect, i got some new screws in SS so hopefully it'll be better this time around + i won't leave it for long wicked up and not used.

I managed to get of the rust rather easily with a tip from facebook, let it sit in cocacola over the night. And scrubbed it some with a toothbrush. And it came out good as new! :)

So i managed to solve my issue, in quite an odd way if you ask me but it did work! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread