Not open for further replies.

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Hi all.

I have a garbled screen. This time it's not Evolv's fault. It's mine. I dropped my mod and it hit the corner of a table leg, bumped twice on the floor and cracked the mini screen. It was still visible but had portions of the screen garbled. Next thing I know and the mod tips over the next day and now it's so dimmed I barely can see anything.

Hard to believe I take so much care with my mods that all look pristine except this one that had two stupid accidents in 48 hours :(

Anyway, I have to replace the screen. Living in Europe, disassembling the board and send it back to Evolv is out of option.

I thought just buying another screen and solder it myself. Problem is that the cheapest screen replacement is in the UK like 12 bucks plus another 8 shipping. Not mentioning even one or two weeks waiting time.

While I was researching Evolv's screen replacements I noticed that they use the same screen for the 20/30/40. Now an idea formed...

I have somewhere a dna clone (30D) that I ripped from a mod that has an intact screen. I wonder if the clone screen is compatible with the original board?

I know the color is a little different. The original is bluer I believe but I'm pretty sure the clone also has 8 contacts... Anybody knows if the controllers are the same?

Thx

Regards
Tony

Sent from my keyboard through my phone or something like that.

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Well the screen does work.

The Evolv screen came off quite well but the clone board used something crimp like on the ribbon cable. The tracks delaminated on dissoldering at the points where the ribbon had some kind of punctures.

Anyway, time to order a new screen.

Thx for your input.

Regards
Tony

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
A brief guide to changing screens: How to replace a DNA screen
Thx. Only catch... My original dna 40 screen didn't have those holes but the blob of solder might do the trick once the new screen arrives... Some day :)

Regards
Tony

Reactions: VapingBad

VapingBad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 16, 2015
Hertfordshire, UK
Thx. I'm going to need it because the board isn't powering on... .... :(

Regards
Tony

I thought that one time I just didn't give it enough time, it's only a few seconds and seems instant when you are changing batteries. Fingers crossed

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Well good and bad news.

The board is powering up and firing atties but the screen just won't power on.

Jeez I even used a couple of needles to align the ribbon cable like the guy with the clip trick. It's soldered clean and swift. I already looked at the tabs with a magnifying glass and can't find a flaw... Arggggg

f399d63a4544b9b9554a166d53f53794.jpg

Regards
Tony

Last edited:

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
It is worth going over the connection with a soldering iron again, in the Evolv factory tour videos PBusardo did they said on occasion those connections have to be done 3 times, don't take it off, just run a hot iron along to top in line with the solder.
Thx. This is what made me try two more times. :)

1. Dissoldered the screen and slapped it on a dna 30 clone. Nothing, dead.

2. Removed it again and thought about your post.. 3 times hum? Maybe I'm being too gentle with this...

3. Eyeballed the location of where the ribbon cable should go (no more ..... alignment needles), stuck my soldering iron on the cable like a sledge hammer, counted to 10 until the Flux started exploding all around and the ribbon cable was almost catching fire, removed the iron and didn't even wait for the board stop smoking to connect it to the battery and power it up:

77830155aebd3897afd87def329083ad.jpg

I guess now I have to clean the bloody mess I did and hope the screen will keep working [emoji14]

Sometimes it has to be ruff :/

Regards
Tony

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Update

There is something wrong with the board and it's not the screen I think.

Remember when I said I tried it steaming hot? Yep... It works when the board is hot but as it cools down, the screen gets dimmer and dimmer until it finally only flicks and the screen dies.

I tried warming up different areas of the board and whenever I heat up the bottom right side, screen is crisp and bright. Let it cool down and it starts going nuts.

When my mod fell on the ground a couple of weeks ago, the screen cracked and pixels were missing. Not aesthetic but still functional. As days passed by, the screen when dimmer and dimmer until it only flicked and finally died.

Until today, I was convinced it was the screen that died but I'm not so sure anymore, although the screen is new, I'm getting the same symptoms as after the drop although on a much faster pace...

Something must have cracked on the board on impact and while the board is hot, material expansion is keeping things working. When the board cools down, the failure/crack opens and it's game over.

I'm going to give up. :( don't have a reflux station so no chance of redoing the entire board and maybe it's not even a solder joint but a crack inside a pcb layer :(

Regards
Tony

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Evolv agreed replacing it although I declared it was my mistake. I sent it back a few weeks ago. Waiting for the replacement. Since I live in Europe, I don't expect it before September.

I do have a dna 200 to keep me busy in the meanwhile :)

Regards
Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread