Status
Not open for further replies.

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
Even BlackBerry still has fanboys claiming it's the best cell device! I loved my varis, yet rarely use any of the four I own anymore! Mostly due to the upgrade of the p3, local shop sucks! And will not get a dollar of my money. And will not pay to ship for updating, moved on to reos and will never look back! Squonking puts anything a provari can do to shame! And yes, provape, with their idiotic upgrades DROVE me to reos mods! THANK YOU! A MUCH BETTER EXPERIENCE! tank capacity, with the dripping experience, best experience ever! Thanks provape for forcing store visits or mailing for upgrades! I NEVER Would have discovered reos mods, until you released the new "upgradable" version! Thanks again for showing me that the provari isn't the end all be all!

Can't go wrong with a Reo ... did you have to send it in to get the updated 510?

Sent via iPhone

f1vefour

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Emerald Coast
I think the blind, almost religious fanboism with which some people in this thread defend Provape is really funny. It also says a lot about what you actually think of Provape. You obviously seem to think they can't defend themselves and you have to come to their rescue.
I don't own a ProVari, will likely never own one. The level folks go through to defend and tout the devices excellence is laughable to me (says something about the quality though). If you read your previous posts in this thread you will see you are trying to keep this argument going by being combative, it's childish....don't you think you are above being child like?

You defend the YiHi chip just as they defend ProVape, the difference being?

/me walks away tootle puffin' my Cool Fire IV @ 12.5 watts

Lemwise

ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2013
Joure
You defend the YiHi chip just as they defend ProVape, the difference being?
I'm actually not defending the Yihi chip. I'm using it as an example that user upgradeable firmware doesn't carry the risk of bricking the device. That's what I'm defending. The funny thing is that the Provape following still hasn't given a reason why user upgradeable firmware is a bad thing. They're perfectly fine with Provape deciding their too dumb to carry out a simple firmware upgrade.

Ca Ike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2014
Cali
Ok I'm going to take a stab at your question Lem. First ask yourself why we have never seen a true clone provari.

Now there are a lot of electronics that are upgrade able but not by the user. This is done to protect any proprietary code in the software/roms. Provape is .... about protecting their designs and if I understand it right the updater is not only a link to the device but also a decoder for the update. I have seen a few cracked mod software versions. I had one for my evic as well as my sx300 chip and there was one for the DNA 30 that didn't work so well but lead to the many clone chips. With the provari there is nothing to crack as there is nothing put on an end users comp. The update is sent right to the updater box and stored on that devices rom making it difficult to reverse engineer their software.

I see this method used extensively in my pool business with electronic control systems and with home theater receivers as well. Hope that makes some sense to you. None of this is confirmed by provape and probably won't be but based on what they use for the updater it makes sense.

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
7ZbNSyo.gif

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State
I'm actually not defending the Yihi chip. I'm using it as an example that user upgradeable firmware doesn't carry the risk of bricking the device. That's what I'm defending. The funny thing is that the Provape following still hasn't given a reason why user upgradeable firmware is a bad thing. They're perfectly fine with Provape deciding their too dumb to carry out a simple firmware upgrade.

Why not just tip toe through the tulips and leave American engineering to Americans. You are in a Provape thread and we don't give a crap about yihi.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Why not just tip toe through the tulips and leave American engineering to Americans. You are in a Provape thread and we don't give a crap about yihi.

Preparing for a "Sonic boom"...

Under the desks, kids. Quickly now.

schismz

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
May I ask what's the purpose of continued negative posts in a thread where you're already clearly outlined your problems with lack of user-upgradable firmware?

I happen to agree with you regarding that topic, and said as much. I did so in the hopes that someone at ProVari reading this forum (which they seem to), would take note and perhaps they'd improve their upgrade methods moving forward. I also left feedback from the ProVape site.

Other than that, I've gotten back to just using my P3s without any issues.

I'm wondering what you hope to accomplish by continuing to pile on negative comments after already clearly stating your opinion? All it does is get the valid points buried in this ocean of noise. If I saw the thread now, vs. what it was like when I first read it and replied, I wouldn't even bother posting, I'd just shrug and get on with my day, because it's devolving into ranting (just my opinion, and to reiterate, I happen to agree with you).

Nothing is going to get resolved. Nobody is going to show up and say "Ok user upgradable firmware has magically been made to work!" The only thing I'm hoping for is that "user upgradeable firmware" makes it onto a Top 5 list of items that are important for the p3.5 or whatever.

For me personally the pros of a P3 far outweigh the negatives. I've voted accordingly with my money. This doesn't mean its' perfect or can't be improved upon, but really if you dislike it so much, what's the point of just ranting about it in the ProVape forum aside from trolling?

AstroTurf

Happy to be... Not Smoking!!!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
ProVariProgrammer-2.jpg

If you look at this picture of the ProVari programmer you can see the part that screws onto the ProVari. It shows that the battery connection doubles as a data port. They could've made the same cable with a USB connection on the other end, so the user can connect the device to a PC. Assuming the firmware is written in C, updating it should be very easy.

Not so fast...

Perhaps what you have failed to notice is the two black bumps on the updater. They in-turn (my opinion here) update the P3 with pulses of light.

Everyone with a P3, pull your batteries and have a look inside.

Once again (my opinion), this makes the updater cost prohibitive to the common P3 owner. And very expensive to build, prolly more then 200 bucks.

Bottomline ProVape values their intellectual property, and want to protect it from bootleggers that would hack it and make their product unsafe.

ProVape, If it's Safe, You can Vape.

IMO, Jim

Last edited:

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
May I ask what's the purpose of continued negative posts in a thread where you're already clearly outlined your problems with lack of user-upgradable firmware?

I happen to agree with you regarding that topic, and said as much. I did so in the hopes that someone at ProVari reading this forum (which they seem to), would take note and perhaps they'd improve their upgrade methods moving forward. I also left feedback from the ProVape site.

Other than that, I've gotten back to just using my P3s without any issues.

I'm wondering what you hope to accomplish by continuing to pile on negative comments after already clearly stating your opinion? All it does is get the valid points buried in this ocean of noise. If I saw the thread now, vs. what it was like when I first read it and replied, I wouldn't even bother posting, I'd just shrug and get on with my day, because it's devolving into ranting (just my opinion, and to reiterate, I happen to agree with you).

Nothing is going to get resolved. Nobody is going to show up and say "Ok user upgradable firmware has magically been made to work!" The only thing I'm hoping for is that "user upgradeable firmware" makes it onto a Top 5 list of items that are important for the p3.5 or whatever.

For me personally the pros of a P3 far outweigh the negatives. I've voted accordingly with my money. This doesn't mean its' perfect or can't be improved upon, but really if you dislike it so much, what's the point of just ranting about it in the ProVape forum aside from trolling?
Because s/he's stopped having a debate/argument long ago when people told him why they buy/like thier Provaris. He thought the answers were stupid, and devolved it into a pure troll thread. Plain and simple.

Sent from my Commadore 64 using Tapatalk

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
How do I update the firmware on my v2 and v2.5's?

It's not firm anymore. Kinda "soft". Maybe drop a little blue pill into my next tank of juice? Would that be considered, "User upgradeable firmware"?

One must think about these things.

AstroTurf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
How do I update the firmware on my v2 and v2.5's?

It's not firm anymore. Kinda "soft". Maybe drop a little blue pill into my next tank of juice? Would that be considered, "User upgradeable firmware"?

One must think about these things.
You probably just need harder batts...

LOLz, Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread