New Legacy Fdn position statement on vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
I was (partly) surprised to see evidence-based statements from the leading US ANTZ organization with respect to vaping. Sure, there's some prohibitionist nonsense scattered within (+ sketchy "tobacco product" definitions), but this position is far better than the slurry gushing out of WHO, CDC, FDA, and the body parts & diseases pharma front groups (e.g. ALA, ACA, ASCO, etc).

http://legacyforhealth.org/content/...e/LEG-Policy_Statement-ENDS-06.26.15+REV1.pdf

Not entirely surprising because of this recent publication by David Abrams, which largely makes the same points.

Reactions: LaraC

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
That was good, the only gripe I have really is the whole flavoring and kids thing that was, once again, mentioned. If they want to claim that ENDS, as they call it, really do seem to help people quit you can't take the flavoring away. I'd bet 90% of successful ex smokers were able to quit because of the flavorings. Take the flavors away and you no longer have a successful product. So to say that something is successful and then suggest that the successful element be subtracted shows they have no idea why it's successful.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
I have to agree with Penny, their complete rejection of flavorings (including menthol) is absurd. However, they did acknowledge that nic gum comes in flavors, and does not seem to target newborns.

Also, their position on taxes, which I read as "Tax ENDS like cigarettes are taxed now, and then raise the tax on cigarettes" is particularly ominous - it deals with the tax deficit due to people no longer smoking, in a particularly insidious way.

But at least it's more positive and a real attempt at accuracy than many other similar statements. Perhaps the tide is turning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread