AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
OHH those Dandy computers ;)

but among many TRS was pronounced trash :)

Heck, *we* called 'em trash-80s at the store! :D Mine was actually an XT-type, a Tandy 1000SL -- 640k, 2 floppies, DOS 2.11 -- and I just lusted for a 25 MHz 386! :lol:

Andria

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
LOVE that you brought up that book. Should be required reading for any entrepreneur who has a "soul" LOL. (how to actually CARE about what you're doing).

You know that book was rejected by over 100+ publishers ..... before it became a best seller for the ages.

... and that is

/rant on

... what's wrong with the world. People strive to make money. Nothing wrong with making money. I personally just think there is something wrong with making money if nothing worthwhile is also created in the process.

/rant off

phew

mauricem00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2015
carson city nevada
many of the flavoring I use list the ingredients as artificial flavoring and pg but do not list what chemicals are in those artificial flavorings. most of the chemicals that may present a hazard are irritants so I would feel them if the level was high enough to present a possible risk of irritation.TFA sells flavors that are diketone free but you can not vape with out some risk.of course the risk of being struck by lightning may be greater than the risk from vaping.and my body tells me that it is much better for me than smoking.

nebulis

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2014
Vienna, Europe
... and my body tells me that it is much better for me than smoking.

In (almost) all the years while smoking my body did not tell me anything. Why wait if and/or until it talks to you?

When everybody stopped buying flavored liquid (and started buying only unflavored ones), I bet we could get what we want to have: Tests.

And one more: I never quite understood why flavors are necessary for vaping.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
In (almost) all the years while smoking my body did not tell me anything. Why wait if and/or until it talks to you?

When everybody stopped buying flavored liquid (and started buying only unflavored ones), I bet we could get what we want to have: Tests.

I never did either... until I tasted Blueberry Muffin, and learned to make a to-die-for strawberry & cream... and completely lost my taste for tobacco; I can't stand it now, not even in ejuice. So the taste of the cigarettes would be even MORE foul, were I to succumb to a craving. Even greater reinforcement for never going back to something that tastes that nasty.

Andria

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
It's been "proven" for occupational exposure... not for the amounts vapers may inhale. Even though the stuff terrifies me, I really don't think it's been *scientifically* proven at all -- clearly it doesn't affect everyone who ever inhales it, or those numbers you quoted would be a great deal higher.

Andria
WTH is wrong with yall, why does it matter that its not prorated by scientist to occasional use? Its bad stuff thats proven and we don't want even 1ppm/b/t.

Yes, clearly, it affects everyone who inhales it.

We vape everyday and thats 1000% more exposure than any popcorn eating popcorn lung lawsuit winner in exposure..

Vaping all day everyday equals huge exposure, do you get it.

Reactions: YoursTruli

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
... and that is

/rant on

... what's wrong with the world. People strive to make money. Nothing wrong with making money. I personally just think there is something wrong with making money if nothing worthwhile is also created in the process.

/rant off

phew

Before all the eco- stuff got popular, Small Is Beautiful: Economics As If People Mattered by E.F. Shoemaker was pretty good, too. It inspired my boyfriend at the time to get his masters and become a city planner. There wasn't much else to do those years while we were "waiting in line" for gasoline. :lol: I remember one of the non-worthwhile objects brought up in that book to this day......a footstool to put in front of your chair that was heated, that used up tons of natural resources to build, and was one of those throw-away built in obsolescence items. I'm pretty sure I can credit that book with my pledge to never become wasteful.

But you put it nicely.......something worthwhile has to be created.

Last edited:
Reactions: WattWick

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California

Are flavors necessary for vaping? well, that depends on what you mean. For the physical act, no, but for many users the flavors are what tip the scales and make vaping something that you are willing to transition to.

WTH is wrong with yall, why does it matter that its not prorated by scientist to occasional use? Its bad stuff thats proven and we don't want even 1ppm/b/t.

We vape everyday and thats 1000% more exposure than any popcorn eating popcorn lung lawsuit winner in exposure..

It's bad stuff that YOU don't want. I have seen many posts from people who continued to dual use until they found that ONE flavor that clicked for them. If that flavor happens to be D/AP Supreme, I'd still rather they vape that and make their transition away from smoking.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
I never quite understood why flavors are necessary for vaping.

Well, most people I know cannot even taste "real food" anymore. They have to slather it with ketchup, sugery or cheese sauces, etc.

I eat "clean" and love some vegetables out of the garden....plain. To me, a snap pea tastes like a rich dessert. But that is from keeping a clean palate.

Flavorings are probably popular because people like junk food, processed food, cake and such.

I never get it when people say they need more flavor or are flavor chasers, not that I'm dissing them, it's just that I can't *relate* to it. I can put 2 drops of flavoring into 30mls of unflavored and it tastes pretty flavorful to me.

some vendor juices have 30% or even 40-50% flavoring, and people are ordering with "extra shots". I accidentally vaped something like that when I first start and got sick.

I think that's why it toook me 8 months to even find an ejuice I liked. Everyone else was enjoying vaping and I wasn't.

Reactions: ENAUD

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA

Certainly I get it, that's why it terrifies me so much that I DIY so that I don't get any of it.

Andria

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
Certainly I get it, that's why it terrifies me so much that I DIY so that I don't get any of it.

Andria
Yay!

They can make the ejuice without it, they have to hire pro's who get paid huge millions for the buttery fix lol if it was easy the manufacturers who figured how to replace the D/AP woulda been no issue..

Lucky for us TFA/TPA are great and disclose their ingredients; while missing the diacetyl they are not too bad considering how good they could be if they added D/AP.. Flavorart dedicated a whole line of flavors D/AP free just for us vapers but ya they do not match or compete with ejuices containing D/AP OMG its good tasty stuff..

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Are Flavors Necessary for Vaping?

Short Answer: No.

Long Answer: Yes with a Chance of Meatballs.

---

I don't think Flavors are Necessary for Vaping. Just like I Don't think Nicotine is Necessary for Vaping. Many people Vape with Neither.

But...

I do think that Flavors and Nicotine GREATLY Increases the Chances of someone successfully Switching from Cigarettes to Vaping.

The primary Goal for me trying an e-Cigarette was to Stop Smoking. If I could Cut Down, that would have been OK. But the Goal was to Quit. And to NEVER go back. I don't think I (and Many Others Long Time PAD Smokers) could have Switched If I had not found Flavors that I liked.

I will also say this. After I quit Smoking, and had some Time under my belt, I found that I Didn't needed the Face Melting, Double Shots of Flavoring with Extra Sucralose that I seemed to want when I first Quit.

Today, I use perhaps 1/3 the Flavoring in my DIY that I did when I first started Mixing 4 Years ago. And I think I am Not Alone in Moving to Less Flavoring while doing DIY.

So Yes, I think Flavors are Important for Most People wanting to Quit Smoking. But perhaps the Flavoring Level wanted starts to Drop in some people who have used an e-Cigarette for a Couple of Years.

Of course, this is Just Me. And Millage May Vary than what is on the Window Sticker.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I get It.

And that is why I have Moved away from Creamy/Buttery e-Liquids over the Last 2 Years. And Vape More fruit flavors to Reduce DA/AP intake.

I still Vape a DIY TastyFinger Clone which I calculate to have 40 ~ 60ppm of combined DA/AP. But I don't use as my D2D Vape anymore.

LouisLeBeau

Shenaniganery Jedi! Too naughty for Sin Bin
ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
Well, most people I know cannot even taste "real food" anymore. They have to slather it with ketchup, sugery or cheese sauces, etc.

I eat "clean" and love some vegetables out of the garden....plain. To me, a snap pea tastes like a rich dessert. But that is from keeping a clean palate.

Flavorings are probably popular because people like junk food, processed food, cake and such.

I never get it when people say they need more flavor or are flavor chasers, not that I'm dissing them, it's just that I can't *relate* to it. I can put 2 drops of flavoring into 30mls of unflavored and it tastes pretty flavorful to me.

some vendor juices have 30% or even 40-50% flavoring, and people are ordering with "extra shots". I accidentally vaped something like that when I first start and got sick.

I think that's why it toook me 8 months to even find an ejuice I liked. Everyone else was enjoying vaping and I wasn't.

That probably isn't because you've acclimated to less flavor or kept a clean palate. As a wine geek, I'm very familiar with a phenomenon called "Super Taster". Some people have well above normal quantities of taste buds in their tongue. I'm not a "Super Taster", but I've done the test (google it, it's easy to do) and I have a higher than normal quantity. A very small percentage have an extreme number, and it makes flavors that are mild to others seem outrageous to them. I can't drink straight O.J. or most other juices. It tastes thick and syrupy to me. I have to water it 50%. Whole milk tastes like a stick of butter. I want to scrape the fat off my tongue.

It isn't necessarily a GOOD thing to be a super taster. Not in this world anyway. Flavors in most products are concentrated and dialed in for the normal palate. It also doesn't necessarily mean you can discern specific flavors better than someone with less tastebuds. That is more a learned and/or olfactory cognition thing. But in the case of vaping, less flavor IS a good thing, from the perspective of less potentially harmful ingrediments. So count yourself lucky.

mauricem00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2015
carson city nevada
when I first tried e-ciggs 3 years ago they did not work for me because I could not taste anything and got to much nicotine.6 month ago when I tried flavored e-juice I was able to quit smoking, it is impossible to avoid every risk in life and this fear of flavorings seems to have reached the level of a mental disorder in some people.many of the foods we eat contain chemicals that may be harmful.I choose not to live in fear of things that may present a small risk. you never get anywhere playing it safe.

Reactions: caramel

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
It's not that I don't agree with you, but I'm not sure what happened there. That is NOT my quote.

That post segment does have the Tell-Tale, signature Non-Conforming Capitalization of one of My Posts.

And in Fact. I believe it Is one of My Posts.

Reactions: Lessifer

Nermal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2013
Farmington, NM USA
It most certainly has been proven 20 million, 7.2 million won lawsuits, among many other lawsuits, it says it most certainly has been proven in courts of law the resulting exposure to diacetyl..

diacetyl lawsuit - Google Search

Somehow, you seem to have overlooked or ignored a certain phrase in my post. I wrote:

Well, I'm not sure it's completely accurate to say the outcome is truly proven, so far as vaping goes. I'm sticking with "unnecessary hazard". Oh, I do believe it is up to them to protect themselves - so long as it's presence and potential is disclosed. I doubt there is an adult smoker in the country that doesn't understand the dangers of smoking.

My post has not been edited, by the way. Is there something about "so far as vaping goes" that you don't understand?

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
That probably isn't because you've acclimated to less flavor or kept a clean palate. As a wine geek, I'm very familiar with a phenomenon called "Super Taster". Some people have well above normal quantities of taste buds in their tongue. I'm not a "Super Taster", but I've done the test (google it, it's easy to do) and I have a higher than normal quantity. A very small percentage have an extreme number, and it makes flavors that are mild to others seem outrageous to them. I can't drink straight O.J. or most other juices. It tastes thick and syrupy to me. I have to water it 50%. Whole milk tastes like a stick of butter. I want to scrape the fat off my tongue.

It isn't necessarily a GOOD thing to be a super taster. Not in this world anyway. Flavors in most products are concentrated and dialed in for the normal palate. It also doesn't necessarily mean you can discern specific flavors better than someone with less tastebuds. That is more a learned and/or olfactory cognition thing. But in the case of vaping, less flavor IS a good thing, from the perspective of less potentially harmful ingrediments. So count yourself lucky.
At least you do not have the bitter gene. It can make things difficult sometimes.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA

I'm a variation of a super-taster; a "super-smeller" -- and my sense of smell was off the charts even when I smoked a pk or two a day; now my sense of smell is far more a curse than a blessing.

Andria

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
Somehow, you seem to have overlooked or ignored a certain phrase in my post. I wrote:

My post has not been edited, by the way. Is there something about "so far as vaping goes" that you don't understand?
Lol nah I did reread and noticed that part then unnecessary. Well played...

Reactions: Nermal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread