Rayon wick, better flow, flavor, saturation and Nic Hit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
You happen to have any pics of your wicking in a kayfun/Subtank mini or similar? I still feel like I may be leaving too much on the tails and am not sure if it's better to have the tails from the top or bottom of the wick.

I don't have one but its the same concept. Do it like this.

I'd say that one was around 30% tail. For the stm you could go as far as 10% probably.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
I just finished my first Ti build. I hoped it would be a little easier, but appearently I am spoiled by stainless wire, which is super easy to build with.
26g, Grade 1, 3mm diameter, comes out at 0,47 Ohm. Wicked with DM balls.
Running it at 260 C and 30W on an Evic VT.
It's not the prettiest build I ever did, but so far it's working as it should.

View attachment 468604

Looks pretty cool, like and explosion or something... At a glance it may not be dense enough. Keep and eye out and check the tightness in the coil later.

With my single pull 28 ti; the coil kinda gets demolished looking in the process but a pull back to center and a screwdriver in between the wraps and turned slightly evens out the spacing to look like my build post today.

EyesoreJr

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2015
Steeler Country
I don't have one but its the same concept. Do it like this.

I'd say that one was around 30% tail. For the stm you could go as far as 10% probably.
So tails on the bottom is ok? I though maybe they wouldn't do as good a job as tails from the top. Is that about 3mm hanging out from either side of the coil?

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
This is how I do my KF4.
kayfun-v4-rayon-jpg.462389

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Focal does seem to have their problems, I haven't even gotten shipping information and it's been over a week. Another week and I'll open a PP claim, checked out in guest mode.
At the top of their site is "Track Orders." Click on that and fill in the blanks. Their system isn't as streamlined as FT's (checking out in "Guest" mode causes the most problems), but they're a good company. File a PP claim and you'll tie their hands from doing anything to fix your order. Plus, there's been a holiday recently. Just email them.

Their one flaw is that their store interface seems to be dependent on referencing by Paypal account ID, so things tend to go more smoothly when you open an account using that same email address, then place your orders while you're logged in - not many people are comfortable doing that.

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA
So tails on the bottom is ok? I though maybe they wouldn't do as good a job as tails from the top. Is that about 3mm hanging out from either side of the coil?
Either way works. :)
Some people have said that leaving the top parts long and combing them over the short stubs underneath keeps up better with higher wattage though.

AMDTrucking posted this pic awhile back:
E07Dv1g.jpg

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL

I have never done anything but bottom tail on everything..

The full coil wick should extend to edge of deck or chamber. 10-30% will come from bottom and go down.

People do use the tail from the top but bottom has always worked well for me. Even the recent pic of a few strands from the bottom touching the deck wicked well with 40w to one single coil.

Reactions: TrollDragon

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Either way works. :)
Some people have said that leaving the top parts long and combing them over the short stubs underneath keeps up better with higher wattage though.

AMDTrucking posted this pic awhile back:
E07Dv1g.jpg

The no tails wick i posted kept up at 40w on a single coil or it would be equivalent to 80w if it were a dual coil. :)

jks89

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2015
Vermont, USA
I'm having a hard time telling if the taste I'm getting is from dry hitting or too much wick. I'm leaning towards too much, because it's holding wattage pretty steady in TC and not dropping it down to single digits like I had experienced before (only with cotton, now that I think about it ;)). If it was dry hitting, I'm thinking the taste would be much nastier and not just strange.

Edit: And of course as soon as I post, the flavor starts going away, so I'm gonna say a little too much wick. Hopefully I don't jinx myself with this edit!

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Sounds like you will be fine, it was a little too tight but as the fibers purged the air pockets and the fibers aligned themselves, like good little soldiers. You got just enough room in the coil for a good wick after it reduced. The wick should last for a long time.

It is possible to nail the density and have pure juice taste and a long lasting coil but it can be hard to get exactly so your better with a little nuetral/ nutty break in period, so you know that you have enough density.

Next time just try a tiny but less, or not.. The more over density you go the longer it will take for the muted, neutral taste to break out.

Ideally it doesn't take more than a few minutes of vaping but an hour or so break in can still net you a 100ml+ wick & coil. Without gunking on kanthal.

EyesoreJr

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2015
Steeler Country
I have never done anything but bottom tail on everything..

The full coil wick should extend to edge of deck or chamber. 10-30% will come from bottom and go down.

People do use the tail from the top but bottom has always worked well for me. Even the recent pic of a few strands from the bottom touching the deck wicked well with 40w to one single coil.
Ok. Thanks for the info. I'll give that a try on my next build.

jks89

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2015
Vermont, USA
Sounds like you will be fine, it was a little too tight but as the fibers purged the air pockets and the fibers aligned themselves, like good little soldiers. You got just enough room in the coil for a good wick after it reduced. The wick should last for a long time.

It is possible to nail the density and have pure juice taste and a long lasting coil but it can be hard to get exactly so your better with a little nuetral/ nutty break in period, so you know that you have enough density.

Next time just try a tiny but less, or not.. The more over density you go the longer it will take for the muted, neutral taste to break out.

Ideally it doesn't take more than a few minutes of vaping but an hour or so break in can still net you a 100ml+ wick & coil. Without gunking on kanthal.

Always with the helpful info! Thanks Jeremy :)

Vaping wax doesn't sound very appealing to me, LOL.

Yeah i think we'll give that a miss ;)

I think beyond the whole vaping wax portion, the wax would probably prevent juice transportation as well since that's probably at least partially to protect the string from the liquid in whatever you're wrapping.

Reactions: awsum140
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread