Status
Not open for further replies.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
I meant more for me to see if I like unregulated, all I've ever used is regulated mods for rta's and rda's so this will be my first venture into unregulated and I've never had to build a coil etc to suit a battery I've always built a coil to suit the rta and then just set the power to get the best from it

That's why I don't like what they have to say about their spring. If it causes substantial vdrop as I suspect it will, it becomes a lot more challenging to both stay above .5 ohms *and* build for satisfactory performance for a 14mm chamber. Depending on the vdrop, it might even make duals/parallels nearly useless for a lot of folks.

Reactions: inswva

Ian444

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2013
QLD, Australia
I would take all their published specs with a grain of salt. They copied the Reo specs, even the loaded weight. The 0.5 ohms for the spring could be real, or could be a typo.

Rob said that the mod used in the video clip is one of his blemished mods. So far then, there are no pictures of the actual shipped product that I know of, it could be anything. My guess, for a $30 price tag, is that it will be a heavy zinc die-cast mod and have problems. But if I didn't have a Reo and was curious about bottom feeding, that price range to test the waters would be tempting for sure. For testing what an unregulated mod works like, a person could set their regulated mod to say 3.7V and then try to build a coil that gives a good vape.

Just for general info for people not familiar with Reos, Reo's have constantly evolved in detail design for around 5 years, you could consider all Reo owners as beta testers because Rob never stops improving it. Based on user feedback via the Reos Mods forum and also by monitoring returns for repair, he has been able to systematically refine the individual components of the Reo for improvements in reliability, performance and aesthetics.

How's that for a sales pitch? :) and its 100% true.

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
LOL @ people who buy clones are cheap people

Thats not even remotely close to being true ,c,mon lol. If anything i think many who buy clones are smarter than some people who spend big bucks for an authentic .

Of course there are the dumb ones on both sides , the key is to know which authentic is really worth the price difference where the clone can not equal the authentic's performance , far and few between imo and with this one the only thing worth paying more for is the actual things that make it work , it certainly would not be the body of the device .

No aluminum box should cost over $100.00 .

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
I would take all their published specs with a grain of salt. They copied the Reo specs, even the loaded weight. The 0.5 ohms for the spring could be real, or could be a typo.

Rob said that the mod used in the video clip is one of his blemished mods. So far then, there are no pictures of the actual shipped product that I know of, it could be anything. My guess, for a $30 price tag, is that it will be a heavy zinc die-cast mod and have problems. But if I didn't have a Reo and was curious about bottom feeding, that price range to test the waters would be tempting for sure. For testing what an unregulated mod works like, a person could set their regulated mod to say 3.7V and then try to build a coil that gives a good vape.

Just for general info for people not familiar with Reos, Reo's have constantly evolved in detail design for around 5 years, you could consider all Reo owners as beta testers because Rob never stops improving it. Based on user feedback via the Reos Mods forum and also by monitoring returns for repair, he has been able to systematically refine the individual components of the Reo for improvements in reliability, performance and aesthetics.

How's that for a sales pitch? :) and its 100% true.

I take it your a hard core REO mod lover LOL. The Reo clone will be rugged all aluminum , that i can say with certainty , it WILL NOT be a zinc allow of any kind.

inswva

Do you even squonk, bro?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2014
.5 is too high. I would certainly test that limit with my first build. Do the real reo specs have a resistance rating for the spring?

I've run 0.2 builds in my authentic REOs with no issues. The negative spring in the REO is designed to collapse in the event of a hard short. It's fully mechanical and will handle some abuse.

Ian444

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2013
QLD, Australia
.5 is too high. I would certainly test that limit with my first build. Do the real reo specs have a resistance rating for the spring?

The general concensus among Reo owners is 0.25 ohms.

Edit - ooops, missed your post inswva - you would know better than I, I don't vape under 1 ohm :)

inswva

Do you even squonk, bro?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2014
I take it your a hard core REO mod lover LOL. The Reo clone will be rugged all aluminum , that i can say with certainty , it WILL NOT be a zinc allow of any kind.

You know this because you own one or you have an inside track with the cloners?

Ian444

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2013
QLD, Australia

Well, it wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong. We will see in due course :)

If it is a quality body, they will sell quite a few to the modders out there.

Last edited:

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
I've run 0.2 builds in my authentic REOs with no issues. The negative spring in the REO is designed to collapse in the event of a hard short. It's fully mechanical and will handle some abuse.
Thats about where I will build my RDAs if I get one. I might get an authentic LP mini when I get back to the US from England (in August). Just to have one in my collection. But this has nothing to do with the quality of the clone. No one has tested this yet and it could very well be excellent.

inswva

Do you even squonk, bro?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2014
Thats about where I will build my RDAs if I get one. I might get an authentic LP mini when I get back to the US from England (in August). Just to have one in my collection. But this has nothing to do with the quality of the clone. No one has tested this yet and it could very well be excellent.

If you roll with the mini, the only resistance limit will be your battery. The Mini 2.1 takes an 18500 so you should be good, for what, 15A? Battery life may suck but the mod will handle it no problem.

edit: and, I agree on the clone... no end user has one yet so it's impossible to determine its level of quality.

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
If you roll with the mini, the only resistance limit will be your battery. The Mini 2.1 takes an 18500 so you should be good, for what, 15A? Battery life may suck but the mod will handle it no problem.
Oh, nevermind. I need an 18650, so I guess I am looking at an LP Grand then.

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Well, it wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong. We will see in due course :)

If it is a quality body, they will sell quite a few to the modders out there.

I'm not sure , the interest believe it or not is not nearly as big as it would have been maybe two years ago . Most of the youngsters of today don't even know what a REO is , no joke. I do not have confidence in any other part of the mod though , the body imo will be it's best part , other than that it's not looking good at all.

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
You know this because you own one or you have an inside track with the cloners?

Take it to the bank (yes , i am that certain) that if these mods are going to be produced they will be solid aluminum and made in the same way as the Hana clone enclosures and most other cloned mods out there these days . Those things are bullet proof , expect the same for the REO cloned enclosures.

This is still yet to be determined if this is even going to happen , most of the younger generation do not have much interest in bottom feeders, they like DNA 200 watt beasts with sub ohm tanks .

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
That's only because they don't know any better ... :lol:

I don't think there is any question about that , they really don't know any better . Many don't even know the types of things we were all vaping just two years ago.

You tell them most vaped regulated mods up to around 20 watts they can't believe it . All they know is 100-150 watt mods lol.

Reactions: NGAHaze

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Ah, the good old days. I remember ordering "low resistance" coils. 1.7 ohms, I think. lol.

I don't think there is any question about that , they really don't know any better . Many don't even know the types of things we were all vaping just two years ago.

You tell them most vaped regulated mods up to around 20 watts they can't believe it . All they know is 100-150 watt mods lol.

Reactions: herb

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Cowboy, I've seen a few of your posts, and since it's clear you WANT to like squonking, I wanted to point out a couple things about your upcoming test!

1 - I am presuming you've got the Chalice clone coming, not the pricey authentic. That's also relatively new, and there hasn't been a ton of feedback, but I can tell you from the original one:

a) It's airflow adjusts in a pretty cool way, and it's SUPPOSED to aim all the air right at your coil. CHECK THIS on the clone - you may need to dis-assemble the base and turn the deck so that the airhole aims at your coil when the cap is on. This was the primary feedback about the clone. If it's not aiming the air properly, it defeats the entire design of the atty!

b) While it does adjust, it is still a pretty "restricted" draw. Not sure what you're used to. It's just not very airy. If you vape "mouth to lung" you may love it.

c) Check the resistance on a regulated mod or ohm-meter AGAIN, AFTER THE CAP IS ON. The Chalice deck is so tight that many people have had a hard short - with a wire tail from the post brushing the inside of the cap. Do this, and before you get your first vape, you'll drop that spring!

Hope it works out well enough that we see you over in Reoville soon.
Rob's rolling out new stuff all the time. Wood Reos, Mini Reos, Patina Reos, Resin Reos, and bottom feed Rogues, Derringers, and more... (the RM atties).

I meant more for me to see if I like unregulated, all I've ever used is regulated mods for rta's and rda's so this will be my first venture into unregulated and I've never had to build a coil etc to suit a battery I've always built a coil to suit the rta and then just set the power to get the best from it

Cowboy192

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2014
Cardiff, uk
cargocollective.com
Cowboy, I've seen a few of your posts, and since it's clear you WANT to like squonking, I wanted to point out a couple things about your upcoming test!

1 - I am presuming you've got the Chalice clone coming, not the pricey authentic. That's also relatively new, and there hasn't been a ton of feedback, but I can tell you from the original one:

a) It's airflow adjusts in a pretty cool way, and it's SUPPOSED to aim all the air right at your coil. CHECK THIS on the clone - you may need to dis-assemble the base and turn the deck so that the airhole aims at your coil when the cap is on. This was the primary feedback about the clone. If it's not aiming the air properly, it defeats the entire design of the atty!

b) While it does adjust, it is still a pretty "restricted" draw. Not sure what you're used to. It's just not very airy. If you vape "mouth to lung" you may love it.

c) Check the resistance on a regulated mod or ohm-meter AGAIN, AFTER THE CAP IS ON. The Chalice deck is so tight that many people have had a hard short - with a wire tail from the post brushing the inside of the cap. Do this, and before you get your first vape, you'll drop that spring!

Hope it works out well enough that we see you over in Reoville soon.
Rob's rolling out new stuff all the time. Wood Reos, Mini Reos, Patina Reos, Resin Reos, and bottom feed Rogues, Derringers, and more... (the RM atties).

I really do want to like it, just hard to justify tying up a couple hundred pounds in a device to try it when you have a family emptying your wallet every pay day, I've read about the problems with the chalice and it's getting a strip down clean and rebuild when it arrives and I'm expecting the draw to be more like my kayfun than my lemo's, I expect flaws and problems with the clones but that's the point, I know I'm buying a cheap clone, if I not only figure it out but actually like it enough to use it on a daily basis then I'm going to want an authentic (and seeing how I've just made the final payment on my car within the next couple months I should have the money to buy one from rob)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread