TC why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

puddinman

Jun 6, 2015
TC provides several advantages in my relative-newbie-but-quickly-catching-up opinion.

1) Consistent vape quality. The temp starts one way and never varies. It never starts getting too hot and never dry hits.

2)Flavor tuning. I can set the temp up or down a few times and bring out different nuances of flavor. I can find the perfect balance temp for each flavor. I am all about the flavor so that's a huge thing for me.

3)Changing flavors. I can drain a tank, remove and rinse it, add new flavor and hardly have any flavor bleeding at all -especially if I prime the coil.

4)Battery life. Since the mod never fires at full capacity, I don't have to charge as much.

5)No scorching. I have never scorched a juice or temp coil. gotta be safer and it's definitely nice not to hack a lung up when I taste that burn.

That's my take on advantages of TC. YMMV

Kyi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Atlanta
I came here looking for answers on why temperature control would be something I should look into. I'm pretty happy with my setups right now, but I am always looking for something better. I'm a simple vaper for the most part, I don't rebuild much and when I do, they are just simple single coil builds on a Kayfun lite or something like that. And I like my tanks with replaceable coil heads. If I get a TC mod, do I HAVE to use coils that are made for TC? And if I don't want to rebuild, the premade coils are extra expensive? Is it worth it for someone like me?

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
I came here looking for answers on why temperature control would be something I should look into. I'm pretty happy with my setups right now, but I am always looking for something better. I'm a simple vaper for the most part, I don't rebuild much and when I do, they are just simple single coil builds on a Kayfun lite or something like that. And I like my tanks with replaceable coil heads. If I get a TC mod, do I HAVE to use coils that are made for TC? And if I don't want to rebuild, the premade coils are extra expensive? Is it worth it for someone like me?
No, you don't have to use tc coils on a tc mod, but you will be in a VW mode if you do so, not tc
There are multiple options for tc coils, building your own being the cheapest, but the pre mades are there same basic price as the kanthal ones (just got a 5 pack of kanger ni200 occ's for $10)

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Simple Answers:

To use a TC Mod in TC Mode, Yes, you need to Use a Coil wire like Ni200 or Titanium Grade 1 Wire.

---

Is it Worth it for Someone Like Yourself? I dunno. Maybe Not so Much.

If you are Not Getting Dry Hits Now. And you are Happy with how things Work. I would probably say Wait a Bit for the TC Mods to be Refined. And for the Price to Come Down.

Reactions: JimDrock

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
I got my first tc mod a couple of months ago and now have three (with one more on the way). My other regulated mods and mechs have more or less been sitting unused since then. Tc simply gives me a more reliable and consistent vape, and I rarely got dry hits when using kanthal earlier. The coils (and wicks) last so much longer as well. Titanium in particular is so easy to work with that I see no reason to go back to kanthal.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Reactions: jmercury1

Pushbutton

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2014
Vienna, Austria
That's strange to me... but like someone else said, I have no motivation in convincing you that you need TC because maybe you don't. But it's odd to me to hear more than one person say that they weren't satisfied with the vape from TC (unless you're a crazy cloud chaser).

Are you sure you were using a GOOD tc device (preferably Yihi chip or a NEW revision of a DNA) that has resistance lock? Are you sure that you had a build that was in the appropriate range (Ni200 .05 to .15 seems best, .1 to .2ish for Titanium based on what I've read thus far)?

The device i am using a mid Dec 2014 production VS rDNA. No, it does not yet have resistance lock.
I wouldn't classify myself as a crazy cloudchaser. My usual Kanthal builds are 26 gauge dual coil builds that come out to 0.5-0.55 ohms @ 33W.

Perhaps someone can explain something to me that i have been wondering about for quite some time now.
If using a single nickel coil (28gauge 0.16ohm) and blasting it with 40W (watching the display while dragging on the atty the power output stays around 39-40W) in TC mode, the temperature barely reaches 400-425F/200-220C. How could using less watts (in my case 33W) on two heavier Kanthal coils possibly lead to a hotter vape than the TC one? My drags on the Kanthal dual coil builds are shorter as well due to the higher vapor output.

edit: during my experiments i scored another dryhit from the TC build, which brings the total score over the last year to: TC dry hits 4 : mech/VW dry hits 1
Resistance was stable (dripper build with good connections), 510 squeaky clean, atty and mod at room temperature when bonding them together.

I'll try TC again when there is something like a DNA70. Not too much interest in the DNA200

Last edited:

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA

When I think about it, we've been trying to regulate the temperature all along.
    • In VV mode (with RMS) the mod regulates the voltage to be constant within the power limits of it. Lower voltages yielded lower temperature coils and lower vapor production and in some cases flavor
    • In VW mode the mod regulates the power to be constant as the coil changes resistance or the user switches coils or toppers. The wattage is controlling how hot the coil gets. Set to low you atomizer might 'flood' and set to high you may get 'dry hits' and damage your wick
    • In TC mode there is two ways to go, namely:
    1. Protection - set the temp to a value where your wick won't singe or burn and regulate the flavor and vapor production using the joules setting
    2. Full TC mode - set the joules high enough for the mod+coil to easily reach the temperature you've set the mod to and regulate the flavor+vapor production via the temperature setting
    Both of the above can save you from a dry hit and the possible damage to your wick.
    I'm not a builder (as of yet) so have purchased tanks which Nickel coils can be purchased off the shelf as well as got a package of Ni200 coils for my army of Aspire Nautilus tanks to try out. Some of the Ni200 coils are almost 2x the cost of stock coils, some can be had from China which can make them cost the same as normal coils.

However the concept here is that if TC functions as intended, I won't be tossing the NI200 coils prematurely because of wick singeing or burning which (hopefully) will save me money in the long run.

I presently own 1 Sub ohm tank with a set of TC coils. Two other models along with the mentioned Nautilus Ni200 replacement coils are on the way. This is actually my 1st "sub ohm" tank and mod that can handle it. I vape mostly with 100% VG juice and got tired of prematurely tossing expensive coils.

Believe it or not - you can turn down the joules+temperature to "toodle puff" vapor production levels and vape with the confidence that while darker+sugar/sweet juices may still 'clog' a otherwise perfectly good coil you won't be throwing out coils prematurely because of damaged wick.

Is the time right to get into TC? Its hard to say. Surely as more players get into the game the costs will come down, better mods and replacement coils (and lower prices on them as well) are sure to come. If your not having an issue with prematurely throwing out coils because of dry hit or excessive power level settings then TC may not buy you anything other than better regulation of the vaping temperature your using.

Kyi

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Other than the nitty gritty of coils/wick lasting longer and not burning, will I notice a vast improvement in my vape? Because while there is some maintenance with coils and wick right now, I'm not particularly burning or having a terrible time managing my current setup. I guess since I'm not in desperate need of something better and if its not like "Holy crap, this makes vaping 10 times better!" and I rarely had to change a coil or rewick and my juice tastes amazing, I don't see any incentive to switch right now. Maybe as my next upgrade if I feel like it.

I guess to me, it's like having an induction stove. Sure, it does XYZ and has some other perks, but a regular stove can do the same, maybe without the precision, but mostly not worth the cost in upgrade.

BlueridgeDog

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 20, 2014
    Rocky Mount, VA, USA
    Dry hits from a tc mod.... Are the fault of the build/builder, not the mod.
    No one likes to hear that they aren't as expert at building coils as they thought they were, but it is what it is
    Sent with one hand, the other is busy vaping.

I generally agree, but have seen instances where a person was using a TC mod in a not very TC friendly way...it vaping at high temps...say 550F.

Pushbutton

ECF Veteran
    Dec 7, 2014
    Vienna, Austria
    Dry hits from a tc mod.... Are the fault of the build/builder, not the mod.
    No one likes to hear that they aren't as expert at building coils as they thought they were, but it is what it is

Well I am glad we were able to identify the culprit then. It is clear that the technology is mature and flawless and there are zero other factors of uncertainty.

Pushbutton

ECF Veteran
    Dec 7, 2014
    Vienna, Austria
    Other than the nitty gritty of coils/wick lasting longer and not burning, will I notice a vast improvement in my vape? Because while there is some maintenance with coils and wick right now, I'm not particularly burning or having a terrible time managing my current setup. I guess since I'm not in desperate need of something better and if its not like "Holy crap, this makes vaping 10 times better!" and I rarely had to change a coil or rewick and my juice tastes amazing, I don't see any incentive to switch right now. Maybe as my next upgrade if I feel like it.

I guess to me, it's like having an induction stove. Sure, it does XYZ and has some other perks, but a regular stove can do the same, maybe without the precision, but mostly not worth the cost in upgrade.

I would suggest trying it for yourself. Personally I find the idea of it appealing, but I find the technology flimsy and half baked at this point of time. With the right mod and atty, excellent 510'connection, and a build where the connections are solid yet won't clip the silly nickel wire it can work. If you like dual coil builds, you will be introducing even more issues.

Better flavor from TC, not for me at least, plus there is always the fear that the thing throws a fit and jumps out of TC mode for a full mouth of delicious burn, because there was minuscule resistance jump in your 510 connection or whatever reason.
    Then there is the refinement mode (on DNA40s pre resistance lock) that has the talent to refine your working settings into something less than useful. To me TC vaping is the opposite of consistent.
    I'll be buying my next TC mod when I am convinced that most of the issues are resolved. Not before.

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    California
    Well I am glad we were able to identify the culprit then. It is clear that the technology is mature and flawless and there are zero other factors of uncertainty.
    Your sarcasm falls flat. While there is plenty of room to grow in TC.... We were talking about dry hits.... And the current TC mods are more then adequate in that regards..... when used correctly.
    So yes, short of a defective board, we have indeed "found the culprit".
    But as I said, no one wants to entertain the possibility that they aren't quite as skilled at building as they like to think. My cross over wasn't without its foibles. Did I give up and say "bah, temp control sucks, it's not far enough along in its tech., yada yada"? No, I kept trying till I got it right.

JimScotty0

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 10, 2014
    Garden Grove, CA, USA
    www.facebook.com
    Your sarcasm falls flat. While there is plenty of room to grow in TC.... We were talking about dry hits.... And the current TC mods are more then adequate in that regards..... when used correctly.
    But as I said, no one wants to entertain the possibility that they aren't quite as skilled at building as they like to think. My cross over wasn't without its foibles. Did I give up and say "bah, temp control sucks, it's not far enough along in its tech., yada yada"? No, I kept trying till I got it right.
    And whey you get it right, it is a wonderful thing! I won't be going back, I am moving forward as things progress and enjoying along the way. :rickroll:

Pushbutton

ECF Veteran
    Dec 7, 2014
    Vienna, Austria

It is rather pointless to have a discussion with someone that is borderline insulting and offers zero other information.

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    California
    Nothing wrong with posting here..... Just don't be shocked when every issue you list points to user error yet blame the tech., that we will point out the faux pas.
    You weren't arguing the merits for or against TC....I agree it's not for everybody (though I think it's where the future of vaping is headed). You were calling the tech. crap, based on clearly user errors.....ones that we all experienced out the gate. I had all sorts of trouble keeping my mod from dropping out of TC on a .15 ohm coil, but guess what? It was my error. What would look like an ocd worthy spaced coil would have a single wrap touching another on the bottom, or the legs would be shaped in a way that it would ohm out fine...till it expanded a little with heat and mess up the ohms reading....a good build will be a good build, resistance lock or not.
    Long story short, TC works as advertised. With a good topper and a functioning tc mod, with a solid build, you set your temp, it stays there. Whether or not that temp is accurate to what is displayed is a place that needs improvement, but ultimately a minor concern......any VW user is well accustomed to ignoring the numbers and adjusting to taste.

becosemsaida

ECF Veteran
    Aug 3, 2012
    Portugal
    So the title is correct but the OP has made his mind up already.... Hmmmm interesting.

Well i'm still a NOOB on TC and have "only" an Evic VT to play with, had to start with something, and after having READ a lot here and there i started to play with it. Took me about 1 week to get a satisfying coil for me with the right resistance and power to enjoy the true TC. I must say that for more then a week now my "kanthal" mods are resting........ I'm convinced that the future is in TC not in power. So just give it a shot with diferent builds and configs and you might change your opinion. As for the health benefits: each time i see a vaper saying that he/she doesn't care about their health i think to my self WHY STARTED TO VAPE??
    If tc or another technology is giving us a better way to stay healthier why not try it out??

As for the evoltion of vape: I tried them all and stayed with VV/VW for a long time, now i'm on tc (and VV/VW) maybe next year i'm on........., what ever works for you and gives you satisfaction you should use without being influenced by others

For now tc is the way to go and as said before it's still in it's early stage.

beco

Reactions: jmercury1
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread