In the Mountains
Reactions: Thrasher

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
They put a lot of work into that story didn't they? Problem is, I don't don't think most most vapers are even aware this is going on, let along what what all they are about to lose.
it has other links throughout that also go to interesting stories

Last edited:

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
What I do find interesting is it offers a little clarity and insight to some misconceptions.

Namely that many of the anti ecig/ pro regulation groups havent made a distiction between the ecig or cigalike coming from the tobacco companies and private label juices and devices. They may not even be aware that what we are using differs slightly and really isnt the same thing and is being used for a slightly different result.

Some of the medical professionals are convinced I think, that this is the next big thing from big tobacco to keep everyone hooked. And I think making this distinction that thats not entirely true may be an important step in helping our cause,

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
What I read:

Increase in calls to poison control centers, and ER visits for nicotine poisonings. Undoubtedly, there has been an increase, but compared to all other common forms of poisonings like cleaning products and medications, its been a very small number.

Another way for Big Tobacco to continue addicting people.

Dangers for teens who have tripled their use.

Reactions: KattMamma

Magaro

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2015
Corning, NY, USA
The comments on this article over at ArsTechnica are hilarious and terrifying at the same time. Watching a bunch of tech nerds (disclaimer: I regularly frequent ArsTechnica) who have little to no knowledge of vaping bash us is pretty disturbing. These are educated, internet-active ANTZ - they need to be schooled. The vaping industry as a whole is doing a pretty poor job of this. And I don't think many of them will listen to us "addicts". Not really sure how this gets solved.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
I'm sorry Thrasher, I was being sarcastic about them putting a lot of effort into the article. Read like an ANTZ piece. All three times I've read it now. Are you sure you put up the right link?

The comments, for the most part, are horrifying. Didn't come close to reading them all though.

Reactions: KattMamma

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
The comments werent that horrifying it just read like a typical internet argument. I read all 6 pages of comments.. There were actually alot of pro-vapers trying to set the record straight.. The problem is, all of the anti-vapers seem to have this 'Im on the internet and I am right about everything' attitude. Very little of them provided any links to anything that proved their points while I did see Dr Farsalinos name dropped as well as several success stories and links to studies by the pro-vapers. Even Phil Busardo was name dropped a couple times. The vapers were there to show they knew what they were talking about. The other side just need something to rally against.. The internet uber geeks who used to think they were above everyone in their own sad little world for not smoking, are going to lose that option so now theyre blindly revolting against vaping because they cant grasp the concept of it. They were sadly misinformed about the whole situation, despite being Ars Technica folk you would think knew what the hell Google was and how to use it, and seem to think that BT already controls the industry and dont get what these so called regulations are being pushed will accomplish. Alot of those arguments also sound like they come from idiots who never had to deal with an addiction to cigarettes either and have tried patches/gum/etc that all FAILED. Its these people that scare me, and these people that need to get a life and shut the hell up and deal with their own personal insecurities before they try and tell others how they should live. The whole "quit or die" attitude needs to die along with those people that support it. The vapers came out in force, I just hope we can all rally like that when the time comes and hope this government which is SUPPOSED to listen us, which is why those refugees that left england in the first place founded this country, does its job for once.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
The Great Nicotine Scare of 2015. What many vapors never acknowledge is that most nic we vape is DERIVED FROM TOBACCO. I always post in threads "so where are you buying your non tobacco derived nicotine" and nobody ever answers. Texas just passed child proof packaging into law as well as no sales to minors as well as age verification if you are 27 years old or younger. There are many other facets to the Texas law as well that are part of the incoming Federal regulation. CAASA or not, regulation is imminent. It's a low hanging fruit federal money grab.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
I'm sorry Thrasher, I was being sarcastic about them putting a lot of effort into the article. Read like an ANTZ piece. All three times I've read it now. Are you sure you put up the right link?

The comments, for the most part, are horrifying. Didn't come close to reading them all though.

I was wondering the same thing. Did I read the right article? It was what came up from the link, had the correct title and was dated July 3.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
I dunno, maybe its just me, I read it without a kneejerk defensive posture and actually notice the quotation marks followed by "the FDA said" or " the CDC has noticed" and similar statements.

I try to remember many people out there on the other side of the wall Can only report on whats being presented to them en masse.

How many parents do you think are going to listen to some pro vaping blogger named busardo when prominent medical groups ( factually correct or not) can claim a rise in ER visits. Come to think of it how many non vapors do you think have ever even run into phil?

So, where is caasa's national tv ad featuring dr fars and busardo? ...........Thats what I thought............. and then you wonder why people like this blogger only see one side.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Its journalism aimed at stirring up drama and fear I have an issue with I guess. Calls and ER visits have increased because the use of vaporizers has increased. And parents do need to know it must be considered a potential poison. However, some are making it sound like an epidemic, whereas the actual number is very small compared to common household products. We've known for decades that young children should be protected from many items in our homes, yet hundreds or thousands of poisonings occur every year. Yet I don't see people freaking out over Formula 409. It wouldn't be interesting news I guess.

Same thing with teen experimentation with e cigs. Yes, those numbers have increased as well, but looking at further studies we see that trying one and using one on a regular basis yield significantly different results. But, what gets reported is OMG, teens are going nuts with these things and the smoking rate will explode again! Bad, bad!

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Its journalism aimed at stirring up drama and fear I have an issue with I guess.

The day of factual reporting has long disappeared, only to be replaced by entertainment and thinly veiled attempts at manipulating the readers in order to bring about a new social order. Sadly, the death of factual reporting occurred right after the death critical thinking.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
The day of factual reporting has long disappeared, only to be replaced by entertainment and thinly veiled attempts at manipulating the readers in order to bring about a new social order. Sadly, the death of factual reporting occurred right after the death critical thinking.

Absolutely agree.

Reactions: UncleChuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread