DNA 200 Watt

Status
Not open for further replies.

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
those connections can just be reflowed, don't need to be completely redone. when soldering don't think in terms of sticking, you don't need to heat it up enough to stick. think flowing, you need to heat it up enough for the solder to flow. get in there hot and quick, hold the wire so it don't move and reflow the solder, then keep holding the wire still for 3-4, 5 seconds or so. cold joints come from moving the joint before it solidifies, the movement brings air into the joint causing a cold solder joint that can break off easily. keeping the wire still till the solder re solidifies is the most important thing.

a wire falling off the board with a big lipo can cause a major short, these wires are big and a little more tricky to solder because they take a lot of heat, most amateur solderers don't use enough heat, it's usually an extra second or 2 of the iron on the joint is the difference between a crappy joint and a good joint, those joints just look like they needed a little more heat. also beware of a soldering iron that isn't hot enough, it shouldn't take 6-7 seconds or more to flow the joint, that will soak more heat into the board than a higher powered iron that flows the solder a few seconds, get in quick and out quick with high heat

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
usually just wipe the tip on a damp sponge or damp paper towel when it's hot then re-tin it. tip should always stay tinned, should never clean a tip and then just leave it clean and naked, always leave it tinned. if the tip gets so bad that the solder won't stick to it after you clean it then you can try a mild abrasive but you can ruin the tip with too much sanding so that's a last resort. replacement tips are usually pretty cheap but always keeping it tinned should last a long time

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
If it has a lot of carbon, you can lightly sand it (400grit) and then tin it so the tip doesn't oxidize. If it's really bad, you should just replace it.

For years, I used a wet sponge but started using a brass sponge a couple of years ago and it works just as well but doesn't cool the tip when you clean it. I always clean the tip and tin it after each use. My previous tips have lasted over 20 yrs.

Landman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2015
Central AR
I used to use a wet sponge too but supposedly it can increase the chances a tip will develop micro cracks and degrade it's soldering ability, although I've never seen proof of that happening... but then I never looked at any of the tips under a microscope either!

Looks like the Opus200 preorder will arrive tomorrow but we'll be hitting the road right as usps usually delivers. If I can grab it on the way out I'll try to get some pics but actual testing may not happen until I get back home from the holiday weekend.

Reactions: dwcraig1

ozen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2014
Rabbit Hole

Darkly spectr

ECF Veteran
Sep 9, 2014
Belgium
Hi instead of using the balance charging connector can I not solder the wires straight onto board instead ?
Thanks David
I guess you technically could but why would you honestly? a proper connector is easier to use. if your lipo ever goes dead you can just swap it out instead of having to unsolder the wires.

AtmizrOpin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Pennsylvania
^^^^ At this point that seems to be the one I'm looking to get...when production resumes. But that may change by the time I'm ready.
I could of ordered one, I happened to stumble upon the Opus site about a month ago when the 7-10 day pre order was available but unfortunately my finances disagreed. Man :(. Oh well, "Vaporshark dna 200 fields forever."

Reactions: BNEAT

Landman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2015
Central AR
Here's a couple of quick shots of the Opus lined up with the other mods I brought on the road.

I didn't have a chance to play with the EScribe software this past week, so I'm just going off of what little bit I was able to read up on. Uploaded the latest firmware, went to Steam Engine, used the TCR beta to make a .csv for Ti and uploaded it. Threw on a Subtank Plus, built with 24ga Ti grade 1 from Unkamen, 6 wrap, 3mm coil, spaced, 0.256 cold ohm. Preheat power @ 100 watts, Preheat punch @ 5, Preheat time limit left at 1 sec default. All I have with me to compare it to is the the same style build Subtank Plus on the Boxer (also coming in a 0.25 ohms) but it has a 3+ week old Ti coil that's been cleaned a couple of times already and has had ~40ml ran through it since the last cleaning.

Boxer at 20.5j/350 degrees, Eco mode, Opus at 21w/480 degrees... and what can I say - it's very similar to the Boxer and rDNA40, but that's what I was expecting and hoping for, at least at these settings. Unfortunately I didn't bring my Velocity RDA to really stretch the legs of the DNA200. I did take it up to 35 watts/500 and watched it on the EScribe monitor... it would bounce around 490-510 degrees and produced noticeably more vapor, exactly as one would expect. Chained (15) ~5 sec hits back to back, hit TP on the last couple of drags, and a bit of dizziness ensued.

The Opus fits in the hand great operating in 'trigger finger' mode... using the thumb, not as comfortable. Maybe I can pass the Opus to the wife when the Boxer version comes out!

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
I am very proud to introduce an innovation in vaping.

Not just a box mod.

Not even a box mod.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present: The Vertigo!

I've gone for a more avante garde style of personal vaporising. I've thrown off the shackles of conventionalism; broken free from the rigidity of rules. I have, quite literally, thought outside the box.

By spurning the straight lines of conformity, I have sought to create a vaporising experience that bursts forwards and demands attention.

And it's not just a statement of bold design. There are also unprecedented features. An innovative plug system offers the choice of infinite battery life in a static setup, or the convenience of portability*

* portability not guaranteed. Backpack not included.

Control is vital for the modern vaper. That's why I have provided the Very Large Button for expansive, comfortable tactile response. And at last, a mod that throws off the shackles of the three-button system; no fewer than 102 keys are available for configuration.

The Vertigo is I believe the new height of vaping technology.

Thank you for your time. Pre-orders are now being taken. Strictly no refunds.

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
Anyway :)

@tchavei I did all the soldering again. Turned out a bit neater this time:

Still had trouble with those fat wires, so they're still not quite as neat as I might have hoped. The Ground wire in particular still got a bit blobby. But the rest aren't too terrible, and more importantly I got the balance charger on there fairly neatly, as well as the through hole wires for the fire button (just visible bottom left).

And this time I added JST connectors for the power leads coming from the board, and going to the PSU

So I can now easily switch between the 12V power supply and the Lipo, just by switching the JST plugs and connecting/disconnecting the Lipo balance charger as appropriate.

Next step will be to work on a slightly more permanent/solid box type setup :) As awesome as The Vertigo is, I do plan to try and get the whole thing in a box so it's a tad more convenient to vape with :)

But I have now at last actually had a vape from the DNA 200 :)

Last edited:

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj
I am very proud to introduce an innovation in vaping.

Not just a box mod.

Not even a box mod.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present: The Vertigo!

I've gone for a more avante garde style of personal vaporising. I've thrown off the shackles of conventionalism; broken free from the rigidity of rules. I have, quite literally, thought outside the box.

By spurning the straight lines of conformity, I have sought to create a vaporising experience that bursts forwards and demands attention.

And it's not just a statement of bold design. There are also unprecedented features. An innovative plug system offers the choice of infinite battery life in a static setup, or the convenience of portability*

* portability not guaranteed. Backpack not included.

Control is vital for the modern vaper. That's why I have provided the Very Large Button for expansive, comfortable tactile response. And at last, a mod that throws off the shackles of the three-button system; no fewer than 102 keys are available for configuration.

The Vertigo is I believe the new height of vaping technology.

Thank you for your time. Pre-orders are now being taken. Strictly no refunds.
Bet the clouds are AMAZING!
image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread