Status
Not open for further replies.

coldgin96

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2012
North of Detroit, way south of Heaven
I can't take it anymore. When deciding if I was going to buy a couple of P3's (one for me and one for my girlfriend, a early Christmas present to go with her K4 I got her for her birthday) I wrote ProVape with the concern I couldn't just upgrade it through my PC. I was told it was like that to prevent hackers from hacking it. That was a good enough explanation for me. We can take a 82 mile drive (one way) and pay $10 a piece for a upgrade or send them in one at a time. I have 2 V2's and Jackie has a Mini for back up. Plus, when the warranty runs out on these P3's, I'm going to buy a P3 Stealth.

As I stated before in this tired thread, when putting marks on a chalk board, the upgrade problem went on the against side. The marks for buying them far outweighed the against ones.

I hope I have made myself clear...

Happy Independance Day!

Lemwise

ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2013
Joure
I was told it was like that to prevent hackers from hacking it.
I don't think the problem of hacking is as big as Provape wants to believe. How many of you would buy a clone made by some guy in China who hacked the firmware and put it in his clone? And it still is no reason to not do user upgradeable firmware. Just look at TomTom for example. People have stopped trying to hack TomTom navigation devices years ago because they are considered to be unhackable, yet you have to update the device yourself.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Ya know...

If I get a dry hit, I may hack a lil...

Be careful of Dry Hits People!!!

And also of threads that have gone dry. THIS one could really use some "... Jelly".

I'm so terribly disappointed. All this time I'd thought we had a sure-fire hit with the Provihate theme, but we've somehow managed to turn this one nothing more than a Monty Python "Argument" sketch.

I am sad. :(

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Maybe Lem will be so kind as to sharpen up his game a bit, then come back and start another for us.

Read through some of the older ones I linked earlier, to get a feel for how it's supposed to work?

That would be so cool of you...

C'mon man. CHEER ME UP!

Please.

Lemwise

ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2013
Joure
:-x It's not a matter of being worried someone is going to clone a P3, it's a matter of not wanting someone to change the workings of the P3.

Why do they care if someone wants to alter some things like for instance up the wattage limit? You bought the device so you should be able to do with it what you want. You own it.

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
But has nothing on the reos mod bda! Looking to unload all my provari s

at least you can resell them :blink:

I can't take it anymore. When deciding if I was going to buy a couple of P3's (one for me and one for my girlfriend, a early Christmas present to go with her K4 I got her for her birthday) I wrote ProVape with the concern I couldn't just upgrade it through my PC. I was told it was like that to prevent hackers from hacking it. That was a good enough explanation for me. We can take a 82 mile drive (one way) and pay $10 a piece for a upgrade or send them in one at a time. I have 2 V2's and Jackie has a Mini for back up. Plus, when the warranty runs out on these P3's, I'm going to buy a P3 Stealth.

As I stated before in this tired thread, when putting marks on a chalk board, the upgrade problem went on the against side. The marks for buying them far outweighed the against ones.

I hope I have made myself clear...

Happy Independance Day!

Thank you for your fine input :cool:

Lemwise

ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2013
Joure
Do you think Apple wanted those hackers jailbreaking the iPhone?
Of course not but that's a different matter. The safety of the system and the privacy of the users depends for a large part on iOS being closed source. We're talking about an e-cig here, an simple electronic device that doesn't store any personal data.

AstroTurf

Happy to be... Not Smoking!!!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
Of course not but that's a different matter. The safety of the system and the privacy of the users depends for a large part on iOS being closed source. We're talking about an e-cig here, an simple electronic device that doesn't store any personal data.
Lem, You finally get it... Closed System.

I am so proud of you, are you studying other Provi threads while we sleep?

Again... Congrats, Jim

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto

maybe it has something to do with safety? ... ProVape does claim to make the safest PV on the market.

coldgin96

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2012
North of Detroit, way south of Heaven
Why do they care if someone wants to alter some things like for instance up the wattage limit? You bought the device so you should be able to do with it what you want. You own it.
You're right. I own it. If I want to upgrade it, I have to send it in or take it to a Authorized Upgrade Dealer. I knew that when I purchased it.

Now, what do you want to talk about?

AstroTurf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
There's a fundamental difference of opinion here that cannot be bridged. I am a big proponent of free, open source software, whether it's an OS like GNU/Linux or firmware for a PV and I believe it's the responsibility of the user to use it safely and not have rules, can and cannots dictated tot them by a company.
I knew you could do it Lem...

Congrats!!!

You figured that, according to your beliefs, a P3 Provi is not for you.

If you ever change your mind...

We are here for you!

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread